The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Mind Over Matter

Started by cc, March 10, 2015, 11:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/03/10/paralyzed-woman-pilots-f-35-fighter-jet-simulator-using-mind-control/">Paralyzed woman pilots F-35 fighter jet simulator using mind control

It reads like something out of a sci-fi flick, but new technology created by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has recently enabled a paralyzed woman to fly an F-35 fighter jet and a single-engine Cessna in a simulator using only her mind. Speaking in Washington, DC at the recent New America Foundation's Future of War forum on February 24th, DARPA Director Arati Prabhakar revealed to the crowd that 55 year-old Jan Scheuermann, who has suffered paralysis since 2003 due to a neurodegenerative condition, was able to fly a Joint Strike Fighter simulator without the use of any joystick or handheld device.

"We can now see a future where we can now free the brain from the limitations of the human body," Prabhakar said, "and I think we can all imagine amazing good things and amazing potentially bad things on the other side of that door."

In 2012, Scheuermann volunteered to undergo surgery to have two small probes placed on the surface of her brain — the left motor cortex. Her neurosignals were then picked up, enabling Scheuermann to control a pair of left and right prosthetic arms using only her mind.

http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/Crotherspic1.jpg">

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/03/10/paralyzed-woman-pilots-f-35-fighter-jet-simulator-using-mind-control/">More on this
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/03/10/paralyzed-woman-pilots-f-35-fighter-jet-simulator-using-mind-control/">Paralyzed woman pilots F-35 fighter jet simulator using mind control

It reads like something out of a sci-fi flick, but new technology created by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has recently enabled a paralyzed woman to fly an F-35 fighter jet and a single-engine Cessna in a simulator using only her mind. Speaking in Washington, DC at the recent New America Foundation's Future of War forum on February 24th, DARPA Director Arati Prabhakar revealed to the crowd that 55 year-old Jan Scheuermann, who has suffered paralysis since 2003 due to a neurodegenerative condition, was able to fly a Joint Strike Fighter simulator without the use of any joystick or handheld device.

"We can now see a future where we can now free the brain from the limitations of the human body," Prabhakar said, "and I think we can all imagine amazing good things and amazing potentially bad things on the other side of that door."

In 2012, Scheuermann volunteered to undergo surgery to have two small probes placed on the surface of her brain — the left motor cortex. Her neurosignals were then picked up, enabling Scheuermann to control a pair of left and right prosthetic arms using only her mind.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/03/10/paralyzed-woman-pilots-f-35-fighter-jet-simulator-using-mind-control/">More on this

That is so fucking cool. This is like park-assist on steroids. ac_cool

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc li tarte"http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/03/10/paralyzed-woman-pilots-f-35-fighter-jet-simulator-using-mind-control/">Paralyzed woman pilots F-35 fighter jet simulator using mind control

ac_smile

Renee

EveOnline style wet grave and neural implants here we come.  ac_dance
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"EveOnline style wet grave and neural implants here we come.  ac_dance

geek heaven

Renee

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Renee"EveOnline style wet grave and neural implants here we come.  ac_dance

geek heaven

Yes I'm a bit of a geek and a nerd.  ac_biggrin
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"

geek heaven

Personally, I've only known guys who were REALLY into that shit. My ex liked it and I have tried it, but it didn't do anything for me.

Renee

geek heaven

Personally, I've only known guys who were REALLY into that shit. My ex liked it and I have tried it, but it didn't do anything for me.

Most PC or online games don't hold my attention very long but Eveonline is different and it's not for everyone. It's very involved and it sucks you in. It has a very steep learning curve because it is way more than just the usual hack and slash crap.

The game was written up in Forbes a few years ago because of it's rather elaborate and realistic market based economy. If you've ever played you will know why.

Anonymous

Most PC or online games don't hold my attention very long but Eveonline is different and it's not for everyone. It's very involved and it sucks you in. It has a very steep learning curve because it is way more than just the usual hack and slash crap.

The game was written up in Forbes a few years ago because of it's rather elaborate and realistic market based economy. If you've ever played you will know why.

I will take your word for it. Not something I want to find out for myself.

Is your old man into it?

Renee

Is your old man into it?

Hell no. He's too dumb.  ac_toofunny

I'm not that into it anymore either. I haven't had a lot of time to devote to it. Since my little one arrived I have to choose my recreation time wisely and I have better and more pressing things to do besides play computer games.

Anonymous

Is your old man into it?

I'm not that into it anymore either. I haven't had a lot of time to devote to it. Since my little one arrived I have to choose my recreation time wisely and I have better and more pressing things to do besides play computer games.

Like attend Star Trek conventions and ride your Segway. ac_tongue

Renee

Is your old man into it?

Exactly.

Hey, you know those Segway things aren't as easy to ride as they look. I rented one in Disney World once. You have to take a course in how to operate and ride it before they will allow you to take it out in the park. I was freaking dangerous with it.  ac_toofunny

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"Exactly.

Hey, you know those Segway things aren't as easy to ride as they look. I rented one in Disney World once. You have to take a course in how to operate and ride it before they will allow you to take it out in the park. I was freaking dangerous with it.  ac_toofunny

My husband took a Segway for a spin. That is another thing though I have no desire to add to my bucket list. I'll have to ask him if that thing put him on his ass.

Renee

Quote from: "Renee"Exactly.

My husband took a Segway for a spin. That is another thing though I have no desire to add to my bucket list. I'll have to ask him if that thing put him on his ass.

I didn't either but the whole family wanted to do it and I got dragged along.  

On almost every family vacation I get roped into doing at least one thing I don't want to do. ac_unsure  And it always ends up bad.  ac_toofunny

Anonymous

Exactly.

Is it difficult to steer or stay on board Renee?