Replies: 10400
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

St Paul's hospital to close

Started by Gay Boy Roberto, April 13, 2015, 12:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gay Boy Roberto

(CBC) Vancouver's St. Paul's hospital will close, and a new facility will be built in East Vancouver, near Main Street and Terminal Avenue, Providence Health Care has announced.

The announcement was made at a news conference at the Health Authority Monday morning.

The century-old facility in downtown Vancouver is badly in need of seismic upgrading and there has long been speculation it could be demolished and replaced.

The province has said it`s committed to revitalizing the hospital and Premier Christy Clark pledged half a billion dollars to improve it three years ago.

Critics have opposed moving the hospital to False Creek saying it will remove a vital health care resource from the city's West End.
People hate as they love, unreasonably.

- William Makepeace Thackeray

RW

That's still within in the downtown core, no?   What will the impact be if it is moved a dozen blocks?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Tough one. It totally sucks there won't be a St. Paul's Hospital. It totally sucks there won't be that incredible history and architecture.

But it would cost at least half a billion dollars. It's an earthquake disaster just waiting to happen.

Main and Terminal is a good location, provided that downtowners can get there fast enough. It's not a bad location for Downtown Eastside. Hopefully there will be some medical something in its place. At least a little something more than just more @#$%ing condos.

Romero

http://www.providencehealthcare.org/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/StPaulsHospitalExterior.jpg?itok=Dr9Dc5XW">

http://www.heritagevancouver.org/images/stpauls_1923_CVA.jpg">

RW

I hope they put some health center there as well if they take it out.

St. Paul's holds a special place in my heart as my kids were born there.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Wow! I'm only several blocks away. I've been there for business, a bruised elbow, and a fractured arm.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!