Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

A

In Praise Of TFSA's

Started by Anonymous, April 25, 2015, 01:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Annie

Ok, I'm happy we got this straightened out  ac_beating
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mel Gibson"Secondly, do NOT listen to others when choosing your investment.  Want the best investment adviser?  Look in the fucking mirror.  YOU are the best adviser when it comes to your own needs.

USE your fucking brain.  Is McDonald's a good investment?  For some it is...  It has proven steady.  Why?  Because people fucking eat there!  Use your brain!  Will McDonald's disappear tomorrow?  NO!

Again, when you invest, think of yourself as part owner of a business, because that is exactly what you are.  You won't get a say (other than voting for the roundtable bigwigs once a year), but nonetheless you are a part owner.

And this is as simple as it gets...  USE your fucking brain.  Want to play the lottery?  Some win, most lose...  Some bet on Apple in its infancy, and it worked for them.  That's playing the lottery.  Do that if you can afford to soak up the loss.

There are many companies that are solid.  Canadian banks are solid.

You can pay someone to mix and mash up a few different stocks into one.  Or, you can diversify your portfolio in almost exactly the same way on your own.

There is no "right or wrong."  Diversify with a few solid shares, and then just forget about them.

Obviously this advice is geared towards the long term investor.  Day traders are an entire different breed, and I would suggest staying away from them, and their advice...

Mel Gibson, can you be in Calgary on May 14?

Can you come with us to our appointment?

Anonymous

Index investements are for idiots and white people. ac_tongue

cc

Are you saying anything that uses the stock market regardless of method is out?
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Are you saying anything that uses the stock market regardless of method is out?

No,I'm trolling. I don't like having my portfolio "managed", but I am prolly more informed than the average investor. Nothing wrong with the Canadain exchange. Resources and a growing global population are a good mix for growth. However, indexing is too fucking general for me. I like to target where my my $$ is parked for maximum return.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Are you saying anything that uses the stock market regardless of method is out?

The Canadian market has fared better than most of the competition. But, the US market is more diversified. With TFSA's investments must be Canadian. If you buy your investments, through I trade for example which is Canadian based you are still considered Canadian.

cc

Before 2008 the TSX was about consistently ~1500 pts above the DOW - today the DOW is ~3000 pts ahead

Assuming the mix of companies in the index has not changed a lot, that indicates theoretically that there is much more room to move for the TSX companies? .... could even indicate that US stocks today are overpriced and Canadian are not ... possibly underpriced?

Thoughts?

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Before 2008 the TSX was about consistently ~1500 pts above the DOW - today the DOW is ~3000 pts ahead

Assuming the mix of companies in the index has not changed a lot, that indicates theoretically that there is much more room to move for the TSX companies? .... could even indicate that US stocks today are overpriced and Canadian are not ... possibly underpriced?

Thoughts?

Don't get me wrong cc, there is nothing wrong the TSE. It's just that the DOW is more diverse. Three sectors make up 90% of the companies on the Toronto exchange. There's a lot of potential for good returns if the resource industries do well.

cc

Thanks for clearing that up. I understand your messsage

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Thanks for clearing that up. I understand your messsage

Hey CC, how did your appt with your bank go?

cc

Good ... turns out BMO is in the game for real  . has the options for my (or any) situation and is willing to work with people no matter which route one chooses .. a break from the other 2 I talked to

Opened accounts and placed funds there (not TFSAs yet until money clears)  ..... Our CR is good but they set us up with the moon for starters . far more than we were asking for

It's nice to find at least one that knows how to treat people and who has made sure it has what all people need and any mix of services they choose instead of A OR B ... they did not suggest doing so but we are transitioning there almost completely now We tend to stick with those who do business the way it should be done ... been 12 yrs at TD, but owe no favors as they never did a thing for us beyond accepting deposits happily

Lance Leftardashian

These accounts are giveaways to the rich.
I care, you pay

Anonymous

cc

^ lol .... brief replies are always good

Sir Lanceverylittle doesn't get it that they are designed to give opportunity for regular folk to save  ... us rich folks just day trade risky stocks for entertainment

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lance Leftardashian"These accounts are giveaways to the rich.

You know as about investing as you do boxing Joak.