The best topic

Replies: 10387
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:57:16 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

The high cost of cheap clothing

Started by Gay Boy Roberto, April 30, 2015, 03:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Romero

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Romero"Nothing wrong with buying cheap clothes and not caring about boycotts, but I think it's important to understand that so many are working under terrible conditions.

What conditions were they working under before the plants moved into developing countries?

It doesn't matter what their conditions were before. Nobody should have to work under terrible conditions. When that garment factory collapsed in Bangladesh, I don't think it's too much to ask that workers shouldn't have to work in buildings that are going to collapse on them.

Anonymous

QuoteFor working class consumers – it's unnecessary.  We can buy the same goods – often at the same price, most would argue that more expensively produced goods are more expensive – my argument is that it is affordable to me, and often competitively priced.  

Unlike braindead celebutards like Oliver, I will not lecture you where to spend your money. However, you should not accept at face value claims made by so-called ethical manufacturers.

QuoteI also think the cost of goods should be higher to reflect all true costs (environmental, human, governmental).  I'm not comfortable with electronics being priced so low – I appreciate it

You are improving the environment by halting economic development in third world nations. I could improve the globe's environment too by making people poorer. Travel, infrastructure, agriculture, adequate housing and health care and yes human longevity all have at least some impact on the planet. Keeping people poor and uneducated has a much higher cost though.

High consumer prices benefit only a percentage of the world's population and they are all in the West.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Romero"Nothing wrong with buying cheap clothes and not caring about boycotts, but I think it's important to understand that so many are working under terrible conditions.

What conditions were they working under before the plants moved into developing countries?

It doesn't matter what their conditions were before. Nobody should have to work under terrible conditions. When that garment factory collapsed in Bangladesh, I don't think it's too much to ask that workers shouldn't have to work in buildings that are going to collapse on them.

Of course it matters. It's a step up. If you think the remaining sweat shops in China are bad, you should have seen the ones before China started to modernize.

Anonymous

Quote from: "asal"
Quote from: "asal"Fash, I'll tell you my real opinion because this is an online forum with some distance.  I feel better buying from companies that pay their employees decently.  I'm not wealthy.  I'm not an entertainer.  Food shouldn't be dirt cheap - it comes at a cost (employees are paid dirt, there can be environmental and inhumane penalties).  Clothes shouldn't be dirt cheap - it comes at a cost beyond money.  I don't always remember to do the right thing.  I buy american apparel online (not that that's the only option, but just one example).

Oh ffs asal, no garment maker pays people a decent wage. It's like retail or janitorial work, it's a garbage job everywhere on the planet.

John Oliver is an ignorant hypocritical moron and intolerant of differing paths to development as Fash pointed out. Food, clothing, durable goods are much better off being cheap. Globalization and trade has meant a lot of people in the country of my birth are no longer hungry. Low cost manufacturing means people in my country of birth have an income. Low cost electronics  means illiteracy has just about been wiped out in my country. Cheap food, affordable clothing, low cost manufacturing as a result of globalization means people in my country have much longer life expectancies, lower infant mortality rates are better educated and have become consumers just like Westerners.

I'm sorry, but the kind the kind of elitism and stupidity that John Oliver spews is the most vile form of racism. He has zero tolerance for different cultures paths to the good life. As our former great leader Deng Xiao Ping used to say, it doesn't matter what colour the cat is as long as it catches mice.

BTW, AA DOES buy product from the third world countries and that WILL increase in the future. I'm afraid you have been duped if you buy Charney's BS claims.

ha ha ha shen :)  I like your wording :)

Quoteno garment maker pays people a decent wage. It's like retail or janitorial work, it's a garbage job everywhere on the planet.

american apparel.  $12/hour + health care benefits and some other kinds of benefits.  It's crap - but not too bad considering/relative to similar jobs.

John Oliver :)  We disagree, leave it at that.  Deng Xiao Ping?  I'll go with Paul Martin "At a moment that comes rarely in the life of a country. It is a time when destiny is ours to hold."

It's actually about eight bucks with production bonuses.

Who do you think works in their Los Angeles shop? It's mostly new immigrants from Latin America. Not much different than Korea where thousands of poor and often undocumented workers from abroad come to work long hours for low wages stitching clothing together.

asal

I know that's exactly who works there.  

I didn't know it's $8 + production bonuses.  Still better than 12 cents/day, even relative to purchasing power in the places where people are paid 12 cents.

Anonymous

Quote from: "asal"I know that's exactly who works there.  

I didn't know it's $8 + production bonuses.  Still better than 12 cents/day, even relative to purchasing power in the places where people are paid 12 cents.

This is how much China's wages have increased since the late great Deng Xiao Ping began the modernization push.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/charts/china-wages-in-manufacturing.png?s=chinawaginman">

Still say globalization/overseas manufacturing is bad?

asal

Overseas manufacturing is bad.  Overseas manufacturing is not good.

(give me a minute  ac_umm )

Anonymous

Quote from: "asal"Overseas manufacturing is bad.  Overseas manufacturing is not good.

If it wasn't for affordable manufacturing moving to Taiwan, Taiwan would still be poor and authoritarian instead of the high income vibrant democracy it is today.

Anonymous

Quote from: "asal"Overseas manufacturing is bad.  Overseas manufacturing is not good.

It's good, believe me hundreds of millions of newly minted healthy, wealthy Asians can't be wrong.

Anonymous

Economic globalization means access to funds. When money is used on infrastructure including roads, health care, education, and social services, the standard of living in the country increases. It has worked well in Asia, but I am not confident of it being a successful model in other parts of the developing world.

Mel Gibson

One of my jobs was dealing with the Vancouver sweatshop scene.  Yes, believe it or not, there is still a very small handful of clothing manufacturers in Van.  Used to be many more, before free trade.

Nonetheless, they are sweatshop here through and through.  All minimum wage paid Asians that are fresh off the boat.  I've walked through them all here.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mel Gibson"One of my jobs was dealing with the Vancouver sweatshop scene.  Yes, believe it or not, there is still a very small handful of clothing manufacturers in Van.  Used to be many more, before free trade.

Nonetheless, they are sweatshop here through and through.  All minimum wage paid Asians that are fresh off the boat.  I've walked through them all here.

There are still small sweatshops in Taiwan too Mel Gibson..

Mostly illegal aliens from mainland China or Vietnam working in them..

The police have been cracking down on them though.

RW

Of course it matters. It's a step up. If you think the remaining sweat shops in China are bad, you should have seen the ones before China started to modernize.

I did.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"

I did.

My grandma worked in one. They were concentration camps.

Westerners,

Please don't lecture me about something you are completely ignorant of.

RW

Have YOU ever stepped foot in one Shen?
Beware of Gaslighters!