Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Racism

Started by RW, July 07, 2015, 07:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "RW"So what do you think the impact is of calling things racist that aren't?  (try not taking the question personally.)

Well, if it's something that's not true then it can't have a beneficial impact. A falsehood is a falsehood. Like how SPECTRE believes black people are violent.

The amount of impact depends. It may become completely forgotten or full-blown depending on the situation.

You don't think that it diminishes actual racism by over using the term for things that aren't racist?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

No, actual racism isn't dependent on whether someone overuses the term. Actual racism happens because racists want to be racist. They don't do it just because someone's overusing the term.

There's a good argument that some people scream racism for no good reason, but I think it pales in comparison to the real issue of so many more people encountering racism throughout their lives.

RW

Quote from: "Romero"No, actual racism isn't dependent on whether someone overuses the term. Actual racism happens because racists want to be racist. They don't do it just because someone's overusing the term.

Running around calling people who aren't racists and who aren't saying racist things degrades actual racism.  It's also really bad for inter-racial relationship building.  It's also ignorant.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

If someone gets to say(seriously, not jokingly) Asians are bad drivers, then I get to say it's racist. It's a two-way street. They get to have their opinion and possibly offend, so I get to have my opinion and possibly offend them right back. If you can't take what you dish out...

Someone says "fucking Asians can't drive!". But I'm not allowed to say "you're a racist piece of shit"? That's total hypocrisy.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"
Quote from: "RW"
What was the last racist thing someone said to you?

I don't know if it's my circle or the company I keep or where I live or where I work, I cannot tell you a racist thing said to me ever except for once when I was younger. Story another time. I cannot count the ones said to me on the forums because I consider those sources null and void. They don't know me so those don't count.

I have heard about some of the disgusting racist comments written about you Azhya..

I feel terrible about it.

ac_crying

Romero

Quote from: "Romero"No, actual racism isn't dependent on whether someone overuses the term. Actual racism happens because racists want to be racist. They don't do it just because someone's overusing the term.

Running around calling people who aren't racists and who aren't saying racist things degrades actual racism.  It's also really bad for inter-racial relationship building.  It's also ignorant.

Where is this happening? Who's running around calling people racist when they aren't racist? Is it anywhere near as often as the actual racism so many have to deal with all their lives?

I've never seen any pc equivalent of the KKK. What's worse? Too much pc or too much racism?

Funny how you're more seriously fed up with political correctness. Why aren't you more seriously fed up with the much higher number of actual racists that actually exist?

cc

I so love Asian our wonderful people even though seriously, (not jokingly) Asians are bad drivers
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Romero

Quote from: "cc la femme"I so love Asian our wonderful people even though seriously, (not jokingly) Asians are bad drivers

So you're saying that the Asians here are bad drivers.

Personally, I wouldn't know. I haven't driven with them. I base my assumptions on real life, individual situations and not the colour of someone's skin or what continent they or their ancestors came from.

You should realize that, shockingly, many Asian Canadians are actually born here. They must be bad drivers just because they're Asian, eh?

cc

Dunno why. From observation, all I know is that the Asians I so love are bad drivers.

Except Shen, Fash, seoulbro and my former lover of course
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Romero

Quote from: "cc la femme"Dunno why. From observation, all I know is that the Asians I so love are bad drivers.

Huh? You said Asians are bad drivers and those people are Asian.

Now you're saying not all Asians are bad drivers? Am I detecting some political correctness?

If you believe Asians are bad drivers, then have the guts to tell them they are.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"I so love Asian our wonderful people even though seriously, (not jokingly) Asians are bad drivers

ac_wot

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Dunno why. From observation, all I know is that the Asians I so love are bad drivers.

You had an Asian boyfriend cc la femme?

RW

Where is this happening? Who's running around calling people racist when they aren't racist? Is it anywhere near as often as the actual racism so many have to deal with all their lives?

I've never seen any pc equivalent of the KKK. What's worse? Too much pc or too much racism?

Funny how you're more seriously fed up with political correctness. Why aren't you more seriously fed up with the much higher number of actual racists that actually exist?

Because I am finding it hard to focus on real racism with all the stupid people calling everything racist.

Go look up stuff like "racist things white people say that they don't know is racist".  It's that crap that I can't stand.  I can't stand it because it hurts racial relations and it demeans actual racism and those who experience it.  

You also can't qualify your statement on racists vs PC bullshitters.  I challenge you to do so if you wish to hang on to that comment.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Huh? You said Asians are bad drivers and those people are Asian.

Now you're saying not all Asians are bad drivers? Am I detecting some political correctness?

If you believe Asians are bad drivers, then have the guts to tell them they are.

Wait!  Are we talking about Asians from Asia?

ac_toofunny
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Quote from: "RW"Because I am finding it hard to focus on real racism with all the stupid people calling everything racist.

Go look up stuff like "racist things white people say that they don't know is racist".  It's that crap that I can't stand.  I can't stand it because it hurts racial relations and it demeans actual racism and those who experience it.  

You also can't qualify your statement on racists vs PC bullshitters.  I challenge you to do so if you wish to hang on to that comment.

It's not stupid people's fault you can't focus on real racism. Why are you blaming stupid people but not the real racists? I don't have a problem focusing on real racism.

Go look up stuff like whites actually saying racist things. It happens much more often. In this very thread, Asians are "bad drivers" and blacks are "violent". Do you agree with those statements?