News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Social Media - you cannot hide any more...

Started by Bricktop, August 03, 2015, 12:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Bricktop

The situation involving the American dentist who bagged a lion is worthy of analysis.

The evolution of social media has now provided a means of communication that is no longer social, but punitive.

The miscreant will pay a massive price for his folly, and its hard to sympathise with him. His practice is closed, and he is in hiding. A global pariah.

Is this fair and reasonable, however.

Does the ability to expose those who's behaviour is at best abhorrent, and at worst unlawful operate as a means of justice, or retribution? Does the punishment fit the crime. In fact, in many cases, no actual crime is committed, yet public outrage on a global scale can ruin lives. Misdeeds are no longer confined to a small circle.

Worse, Photoshop devotees will know that you can quite easily chop an image to create a false situation, and outrage may well be based on a lie.

These are dangerous times on the internet, kiddies.

Watch your back.

RW

I think it's an invasion of privacy and wrong.  Separation of personal/private and professional needs to be established.  It's getting to the point where it is becoming a real imposition on our freedom of expression.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

That argument needs some justification.

I'm not saying its wrong, but you haven't really made a case for it.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

cc

I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"The situation involving the American dentist who bagged a lion is worthy of analysis.

The evolution of social media has now provided a means of communication that is no longer social, but punitive.

The miscreant will pay a massive price for his folly, and its hard to sympathise with him. His practice is closed, and he is in hiding. A global pariah.

Does the ability to expose those who's behaviour is at best abhorrent, and at worst unlawful operate as a means of justice, or retribution? Does the punishment fit the crime. In fact, in many cases, no actual crime is committed, yet public outrage on a global scale can ruin lives. Misdeeds are no longer confined to a small circle.

Worse, Photoshop devotees will know that you can quite easily chop an image to create a false situation, and outrage may well be based on a lie.

Watch your back.

I don't it. Do you remember those dentist students in Halifax? I forget what they did, but they were tried in the court of social media. It put pressure on university staff and licensing boards to punish fast based on public outcry in social media. I think it's dangerous.

Frood

I've gotten some odd looks from coworkers and those I've met over the years when they've mentioned becoming Facebook or LinkedIn contacts and I've had to explain that I don't use social media networks like that because there's no privacy or guarantee of profile safety. Some people understand, some don't.
Blahhhhhh...

cc

Similar here for personal use ... zero presence  

As a software developer / seller we must have a company presence as google ranking  and even direct response are dependent on it - nothing personal is used, only  sales material is placed. We are very careful what we put out in social media

It boggles my mind that some feel the need to put themselves out there in a real person persona that can be used against them and / or their families  in an ever-increasing number of ways
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Wulf

Quote from: "cc la femme"Similar here for personal use ... zero presence  

As a software developer / seller we must have a company presence as google ranking  and even direct response are dependent on it - nothing personal is used, only  sales material is placed. We are very careful what we put out in social media

It boggles my mind that some feel the need to put themselves out there in a real person persona that can be used against them and / or their families  in an ever-increasing number of ways

For some, the need for the 15 mins of fame is greater than the need for food and water. If there is one thing the net has been good for, it has exposed countless sociopaths and various other mentally unstable, attention starved, types. Spend no more than 10 mins on any social media site and you will find enough of them to last a lifetime. It's a rather sad commentary on so-called modern civilization really. :negative:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wulf"
Quote from: "cc la femme"Similar here for personal use ... zero presence  

For some, the need for the 15 mins of fame is greater than the need for food and water. If there is one thing the net has been good for, it has exposed countless sociopaths and various other mentally unstable, attention starved, types. Spend no more than 10 mins on any social media site and you will find enough of them to last a lifetime. It's a rather sad commentary on so-called modern civilization really. :negative:

I can understand your feelings Wulf..

My husband and I are also careful what social media sites we put ourselves on..

Facebook for us is a means of keeping in touch with friends all over the world.

keeper

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"I've gotten some odd looks from coworkers and those I've met over the years when they've mentioned becoming Facebook or LinkedIn contacts and I've had to explain that I don't use social media networks like that because there's no privacy or guarantee of profile safety. Some people understand, some don't.

Im careful like you in all aspects, I try not to send my picture or personal information out only to family or close personal friends.

I was going to use a voice changer for voice chats but im worried people will think im female  :sneaky2:

keeper

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "SPECTRE"The situation involving the American dentist who bagged a lion is worthy of analysis.

Watch your back.

I don't it. Do you remember those dentist students in Halifax? I forget what they did, but they were tried in the court of social media. It put pressure on university staff and licensing boards to punish fast based on public outcry in social media. I think it's dangerous.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/dalhousie-suspends-13-dentistry-students-from-clinic-amid-facebook-scandal-1.2889635">http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.2889635">http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/dalhousie-suspends-13-dentistry-students-from-clinic-amid-facebook-scandal-1.2889635

I believe this is what you were referring to Herman.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Keeper"

I was going to use a voice changer for voice chats but im worried people will think im female  :sneaky2:

Or rude. Or paranoid. Or neurotic.

keeper

Quote from: "SPECTRE"
Quote from: "Keeper"

Or rude. Or paranoid. Or neurotic.

You downloaded it didnt you? fess up!

Bricktop