Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

SPECTRE'S ask a retired cop anything

Started by Bricktop, August 13, 2015, 01:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

Yes. Discharging a weapon is tantamount to failure.

Of course, there are occasions when the choice is not yours...but no-one looks forward to a shootout. We were trained to contain and reason.

Anonymous

Bricktop

Mmmm...probably the family dispute, where a rather obese woman came home to find her husband humping the neighbour. When we arrived, the woman, her husband and near naked female neighbour were standing in the room with the neighbours husband.

The outraged wife was holding a knife at her belly, and threatened to stab herself if the husband of the tart her husband was humping didn't agree to wife swap.

The knife she was holding was a pen knife with a 3 inch blade that would never have penetrated the layers of fat.

As we walked in, all four were screaming and yelling at each other.

Then, there was the smell...

Anonymous

My brother is a policeman in Manitoba SPECTRE..

Can you tell us about a time you had to take someone in that you felt sorry for?

asal

Why did you become a cop?  Are you glad you did?

Bricktop

Quote from: "Fashionista"My brother is a policeman in Manitoba SPECTRE..

Can you tell us about a time you had to take someone in that you felt sorry for?

Gee, that's a toughie.

Probably a 10 yr old kid who stole a car.

His parents were wastes of flesh, but the kid was known to everyone as a good, honest lad. Then one day, he just hopped in a car and drove it around.

When I found him, I contacted his parents to join me at the station where I would take his details and report him, after which he would attend court via summons.

But his parents wouldn't comply, leaving me no choice but to arrest.

Putting a 10 year old kid in a cell is hard to do.

Frood

Have you ever participated in a random breathalyzer stop (roadblock checkpoint) and have a motorist produce a dictionary with the actual definition of random highlighted?

What are your feelings on the current drive to militarize Australia's cops as has been done already in North America with armored vehicles, drones, military weaponry, and crowd control tools like tasers, sprays, water cannons, sonic weapons, rubber and beanbag rounds, plus crowd control tactics designed to intimidate and force immediate compliance?

Do you feel there is a distinction between law enforcement and keeping of the peace, if any, and where should personal discretion by officers factor into this, if at all?

How often did you break a rule in your personal daily life which you were tasked to enforce on others in your working life, and did you or your coworkers report it or have you arrested, charged, fined, or penalized for it?
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "SPECTRE"

Gee, that's a toughie.

His parents were wastes of flesh, but the kid was known to everyone as a good, honest lad. Then one day, he just hopped in a car and drove it around.

When I found him, I contacted his parents to join me at the station where I would take his details and report him, after which he would attend court via summons.

wtf? It's legal to put a kid in a cell with adults in Australia? That's nuts.

Bricktop

Quote from: "asal"Why did you become a cop?  Are you glad you did?

Like many cops, the need for social status and the chance to be a hero.

No, I'm not glad I did, but it was a good idea at the time.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Have you ever participated in a random breathalyzer stop (roadblock checkpoint) and have a motorist produce a dictionary with the actual definition of random highlighted?

No.

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"What are your feelings on the current drive to militarize Australia's cops as has been done already in North America with armored vehicles, drones, military weaponry, and crowd control tools like tasers, sprays, water cannons, sonic weapons, rubber and beanbag rounds, plus crowd control tactics designed to intimidate and force immediate compliance?

Not being cognisant of the factors that make them believe this is necessary, its hard to say. But generally, I think its overkill. Australians are not as violent as Americans.

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Do you feel there is a distinction between law enforcement and keeping of the peace, if any, and where should personal discretion by officers factor into this, if at all?

Yes. Personal discretion applies when an outcome can be achieved without the use of judicail force.

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"How often did you break a rule in your personal daily life which you were tasked to enforce on others in your working life, and did you or your coworkers report it or have you arrested, charged, fined, or penalized for it?

Regularly. Cops are humans, too.

Yes. Fined twice for speeding.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Herman"

Gee, that's a toughie.

wtf? It's legal to put a kid in a cell with adults in Australia? That's nuts.

It was in a provincial city that had no facilities to handle juvenile prisoners. There was no other option. It was heart rending.

Frood

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Have you ever participated in a random breathalyzer stop (roadblock checkpoint) and have a motorist produce a dictionary with the actual definition of random highlighted?

No.

How would you reacted had it happened and what thoughts might you have thought at the time?

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"What are your feelings on the current drive to militarize Australia's cops as has been done already in North America with armored vehicles, drones, military weaponry, and crowd control tools like tasers, sprays, water cannons, sonic weapons, rubber and beanbag rounds, plus crowd control tactics designed to intimidate and force immediate compliance?

Not being cognisant of the factors that make them believe this is necessary, its hard to say. But generally, I think its overkill. Australians are not as violent as Americans.

You've served in a police capacity in the USA also?

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Do you feel there is a distinction between law enforcement and keeping of the peace, if any, and where should personal discretion by officers factor into this, if at all?

Yes. Personal discretion applies when an outcome can be achieved without the use of judicail force.

Do you think it not dangerous to allow the hand of the law to decide what the brain of the law does or doesn't decree?

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"How often did you break a rule in your personal daily life which you were tasked to enforce on others in your working life, and did you or your coworkers report it or have you arrested, charged, fined, or penalized for it?

Regularly. Cops are humans, too.

Yes. Fined twice for speeding.

Did you report yourself or did one of your coworkers?
Blahhhhhh...

RW

Did you ever see another officer do anything illegal (pocketing drugs, stealing money, tampering with evidence?  Did you report him/her?

Does the whole "it's a lot of paper work" thing hold true?

How unrealistic (or realistic) do you find police work to be depicted in the movies?  What is something we see in the movies that police NEVER do?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

How many women did you pull over just to get their phone number or look down their blouse?
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.