News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Are Islamic Fundamentalists the 'Morlocks' of Our Time?

Started by J0E, September 14, 2015, 12:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Renee

Quote from: "Frank"
Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Fashionista"But Islamic extremists are here in the present though Frank.

But that's the point.

What HG Wells projected as science fiction around 100 years ago has begun to materialize in the present.

It has some basis in relevance to the times we live in just as the Mary Shelly 19th century novel Frankenstein has for the monstrosities which science would unleash in the 20th century such as the first and second world war.

But where Shelly's novel was concerned about science, Wells' novel had parallels with the society we were about to evolve into.

Frank/Joe you have stated some pretty wacky things in the past but this Morlock/Muslim shit tops them all?  :laugh3:

Is this the kind of stuff you spend your day thinking about while you are sitting in your cab? ac_umm

Given the social tensions in Western Europe today, as it is being overwhelmed with new migrations of refugees from the Middle East, I thought the Time Machine was an appropriate metaphor for this crisis and its impact on the host nations. As the refugees grow in numbers, its extremist element marginalize and gradually push out the Native Europeans to the extent of preying on them, committing acts of violence, murdering them, and raping their women. Essentially, the aggressive migrants devour a peaceful population, seemingly afraid to acknowledge the obvious before it is too late. Hence the analogy of Islamic Extremists with the Morlocks in The Time Machine.

Here's one essay which describes how Wells feared the degeneration of society, and how a segment might one day devolve into savages:

http://www.galtoninstitute.org.uk/Newsletters/GINL0406/language_of_degeneration.htm">http://www.galtoninstitute.org.uk/Newsl ... ration.htm">http://www.galtoninstitute.org.uk/Newsletters/GINL0406/language_of_degeneration.htm

QuoteWells' scientific pessimism is evident in The Time Machine, but becomes fully realised only after the Time Traveller's discovery of the existence of the Morlocks. Before this he is afforded ample opportunity to contemplate the nature of the society he has discovered, and through his hypotheses Wells is able to expound his own Utopian visions. These originate from his reading of Plato's Republic in his youth29 and were developed throughout his life in the Utopian tracts of A Modern Utopia (1905) and Men Like Gods (1923). The Time Traveller's first impression is that he has stumbled upon a futuristic paradise of harmony and balance], while the depiction of the Eloi as clothed in tunics and sandals evokes stock images of Greek Utopia.30

Upon discovering the existence of the Morlocks the tone becomes increasingly negative as the Time Traveller is forced to abandon his Utopian theories.31 Instead, the focus shifts to his contemplation of the degeneration of mankind and its inevitable extinction[/u]
] 'It seemed to me that I had happened upon humanity upon the wane. The ruddy sunset set me thinking of the sunset of mankind.'[/i][p.27] This is made explicit in his later travels into the more distant future, where giant crabs are the dominant species, which are themselves eventually acceded by the grotesque image of some unidentifiable 'thing' hopping fitfully about on the shore [p.76] as the sun begins to atrophy and die. The (probably promotional) article in the Pall Mall Gazette around the time of publication of The Time Machine extends the idea of the extinction of man, drawing parallels with the eventual inheritance of the earth by giant crabs in the novel, to give a doom-laden picture of the extinction of man, and the eventual end of the earth.32 Wells' intention is to expose and undermine man's biological arrogance: 'the excessive egotism of the human animal [is such] that the bare idea of its extinction seems incredible to it' and his smug faith in his assured and continuing dominance: 'No, man's complacent assumption of the future is too confident.' He reiterates the warning contained in his novel, but seems resigned to having it ignored: 'And when the thing [the extinction of man] happens, one may doubt if even then one will get the recognition one deserves.'33 Indeed, most interpreted Wells' work as the reviewer for Nature did - as light entertainment, not as seriously-intended moral allegory: '[The Time Machine] is well worth the attention of the scientific reader, for the reason that it is based so far as possible on scientific data, and while not taking it too seriously, it helps one to get a connected idea of the possible results of the ever-continuing processes of evolution' [my italics].34

ac_toofunny You're reaching Frank. By your logic the Scandinavians (vikings) of the 8th thru the 10th centuries who invaded, brutalized and subjugated large portions of western Europe and Eastern Russia could be compared to Morlocks as well. And that's just one historial example.

The comparison of Muslims and H.G. Well's Morlocks is a weak allegorical fantasy at best. You have a tendency to over-think everything until it resembles the ludicrous.

Kudos for having an imagination though, even if it does run wild.  ac_toofunny

I can't believe I actually wasted 3 mins of my life answering that shit.  :oeudC: WTF is wrong with me?
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

J0E

Just an aside Renee, many laughed and derided me when I cited the dark prophecies of Nostradamus to warn America why it should not invade Iraq in 2003. Now billions spent, a million lives lost, the emergence of ISIS & a refugee crisis which your country created, not so silly or far fetched now, is it? Your leaders spent countless millions of American taxpayer money on ill advice from high priced military consultants who told your nation to venture there.

A quick read of a centuries dead prophet sould done the trick, R.

Quote from: "Fashionista"But Islamic extremists are herein the present though Frank.

But that's the point.

What HG Wells projected as science fiction around 100 years ago has begun to materialize in the present.

It has some basis in relevance to the times we live in just as the Mary Shelly 19th century novel Frankenstein has for the monstrosities which science would unleash in the 20th century such as the first and second world war.

But where Shelly's novel was concerned about science, Wells' novel had parallels with the society we were about to evolve into.

Frank/Joe you have stated some pretty wacky things in the past but this Morlock/Muslim shit tops them all?  :laugh3:

Is this the kind of stuff you spend your day thinking about while you are sitting in your cab? ac_umm

Given the social tensions in Western Europe today, as it is being overwhelmed with new migrations of refugees from the Middle East, I thought the Time Machine was an appropriate metaphor for this crisis and its impact on the host nations. As the refugees grow in numbers, its extremist element marginalize and gradually push out the Native Europeans to the extent of preying on them, committing acts of violence, murdering them, and raping their women. Essentially, the aggressive migrants devour a peaceful population, seemingly afraid to acknowledge the obvious before it is too late. Hence the analogy of Islamic Extremists with the Morlocks in The Time Machine.

Here's one essay which describes how Wells feared the degeneration of society, and how a segment might one day devolve into savages:

http://www.galtoninstitute.org.uk/Newsletters/GINL0406/language_of_degeneration.htm">http://www.galtoninstitute.org.uk/Newsl ... ration.htm">http://www.galtoninstitute.org.uk/Newsletters/GINL0406/language_of_degeneration.htm

QuoteWells' scientific pessimism is evident in The Time Machine, but becomes fully realised only after the Time Traveller's discovery of the existence of the Morlocks. Before this he is afforded ample opportunity to contemplate the nature of the society he has discovered, and through his hypotheses Wells is able to expound his own Utopian visions. These originate from his reading of Plato's Republic in his youth29 and were developed throughout his life in the Utopian tracts of A Modern Utopia (1905) and Men Like Gods (1923). The Time Traveller's first impression is that he has stumbled upon a futuristic paradise of harmony and balance], while the depiction of the Eloi as clothed in tunics and sandals evokes stock images of Greek Utopia.30

Upon discovering the existence of the Morlocks the tone becomes increasingly negative as the Time Traveller is forced to abandon his Utopian theories.31 Instead, the focus shifts to his contemplation of the degeneration of mankind and its inevitable extinction[/u]
] 'It seemed to me that I had happened upon humanity upon the wane. The ruddy sunset set me thinking of the sunset of mankind.'[/i][p.27] This is made explicit in his later travels into the more distant future, where giant crabs are the dominant species, which are themselves eventually acceded by the grotesque image of some unidentifiable 'thing' hopping fitfully about on the shore [p.76] as the sun begins to atrophy and die. The (probably promotional) article in the Pall Mall Gazette around the time of publication of The Time Machine extends the idea of the extinction of man, drawing parallels with the eventual inheritance of the earth by giant crabs in the novel, to give a doom-laden picture of the extinction of man, and the eventual end of the earth.32 Wells' intention is to expose and undermine man's biological arrogance: 'the excessive egotism of the human animal [is such] that the bare idea of its extinction seems incredible to it' and his smug faith in his assured and continuing dominance: 'No, man's complacent assumption of the future is too confident.' He reiterates the warning contained in his novel, but seems resigned to having it ignored: 'And when the thing [the extinction of man] happens, one may doubt if even then one will get the recognition one deserves.'33 Indeed, most interpreted Wells' work as the reviewer for Nature did - as light entertainment, not as seriously-intended moral allegory: '[The Time Machine] is well worth the attention of the scientific reader, for the reason that it is based so far as possible on scientific data, and while not taking it too seriously, it helps one to get a connected idea of the possible results of the ever-continuing processes of evolution' [my italics].34

ac_toofunny You're reaching Frank. By your logic the Scandinavians (vikings) of the 8th thru the 10th centuries who invaded, brutalized and subjugated large portions of western Europe and Eastern Russia could be compared to Morlocks as well. And that's just one historial example.

The comparison of Muslims and H.G. Well's Morlocks is a weak allegorical fantasy at best. You have a tendency to over-think everything until it resembles the ludicrous.

Kudos for having an imagination though, even if it does run wild.  ac_toofunny

I can't believe I actually wasted 3 mins of my life answering that shit.  :oeudC: WTF is wrong with me?

Renee

Joe, I think the Russian strippers in the back of your cab need help changing into their street clothes. Why don't you go see if you can give them a hand.  :crazy:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

J0E

Quote from: "Renee"Joe, I think the Russian strippers in the back of your cab need help changing into their street clothes. Why don't you go see if you can give them a hand.  :crazy:

The spirit of Renee calls out for a release from her endless life of boredom, entrapment & a neverending restlessness whose thirst can never be quenched.

"Free me Joe!" Cries out She. "F-r-ee me from my inner demons which covet the forbidden fruits of life! Show me the den of iniquity & decadence I so secretly desire! And bring Odinson along for I desire the boldness of a REAL man in my life!"

You see, our Renee actually lives vicariously through Joe and wishes to be in the back of his mysterious black limousine, where the charms of forbidden pleasures & a bevy wickedly charming beings await those who dare enter! And with our Odin's Son at her side, may she feel ravished by the eartly delights which have eluded her thus far in this life so that her inner flame can finally be released!

"Hail Asgaard," crieth the Odin's Son.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

J0E

Quote from: "Renee"Fuck You, Joe.

Oh come now, Renee.

I know you thorougly enjoyed and were enthralled by that brief moment you had the opportunity to live in the fantasy I'd prepared for you.

I can tell by the the smiley face:

ac_biggrin

.....the shape of the smiley's mouth says it all....

Romero

Quote from: "Frank"Just an aside Renee, many laughed and derided me when I cited the dark prophecies of Nostradamus to warn America why it should not invade Iraq in 2003.

I think they laughed at you because you cited Nostradamus prophecies to make your argument. "Nostradamus said so" doesn't exactly mean you were right about it.

Renee

Oh come now, Renee.

I know you thorougly enjoyed and were enthralled by that brief moment you had the opportunity to live in the fantasy I'd prepared for you.

ac_biggrin

No offense but YOU make my skin crawl.

J0E

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Frank"Just an aside Renee, many laughed and derided me when I cited the dark prophecies of Nostradamus to warn America why it should not invade Iraq in 2003.

I think they laughed at you because you cited Nostradamus prophecies to make your argument. "Nostradamus said so" doesn't exactly mean you were right about it.

No matter, I was still right.

Anyways Romero, do you remember the Good Old Days when the World seemed like a saner place & people actually protested unnecessary wars & military intervention?

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcDnaIMJ6MU

...well, I guess them days are looong gone.

As the NeoCons rightly pointed out, "The World Changed after 9-11".

ah yes, we stopped thinking, gave in and blindly accepted anything the do.

J0E

Oh come now, Renee.

ac_biggrin

Well, why do you keep mentioning seedy Russian Hookers in the back of a Limo?  :laugh:

There must be somethin' in it fer you, R.  :laugh:

Oh well, everyone's got their own fantasy renditions of what goes on during the Night.

Romero

Quote from: "Frank"No matter, I was still right.

Anyways Romero, do you remember the Good Old Days when the World seemed like a saner place & people actually protested unnecessary wars & military intervention?

I would say that liberals and Democrats have been too soft on Obama and Clinton. Some groups such as CODEPINK have kept up the criticism and protest though.

J0E

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Frank"No matter, I was still right.

I would say that liberals and Democrats have been too soft on Obama and Clinton. Some groups such as CODEPINK have kept up the criticism and protest though.

Too late, Romero.

The Repugs/NeoCons have pushed the Needle so far to the Right, that there's no turnin' back.

The 27 year war that Nostradamus predicted is still going on with a vengeance.

And That's the way they planned it.

so no matter who comes in, bet it a liberal like Obama, or someone even further left of him, caint change things back to what it was.

They got their way, and now give the American public, the illusion that there is a 'Choice'.

Oh well, democracy in America and elsewhere was nice when it lasted, eh?

Renee

Oh come now, Renee.

ac_biggrin

Well, why do you keep mentioning seedy Russian Hookers in the back of a Limo?  :laugh:

Oh well, everyone's got their own fantasy renditions of what goes on during the Night.

I thought "seedy Russian hookers" were your thing Joe. Aren't you always talking about giving them rides to work in the back of your cab while you ogle them in the rearview? Maybe I was mistaken but I'm pretty sure that's all you.

BTW, how many times do I have to tell you to drop that stoooopid written accent shit? It makes your posts all but impossible to stomach even in the off chance that you have something worthwhile to say. It also adds to your "creep factor" which is high enough without it.

J0E

Oh come now, Renee.

ac_biggrin

I thought "seedy Russian hookers" were your thing Joe. Aren't you always talking about giving them rides to work in the back of your cab while you ogle them in the rearview? Maybe I was mistaken but I'm pretty sure that's all you.

BTW, how many times do I have to tell you to drop that stoooopid written accent shit? It makes your posts all but impossible to stomach even in the off chance that you have something worthwhile to say. It also adds to your "creep factor" which is high enough without it.

Oh c'mon, Renee,admit it, you enjoyed that fantasy.

Nuthin' ta be ashamed of.

I know you haven't had a bit of fun in a while.