Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

A

I disagree with Kim Davis

Started by Anonymous, September 14, 2015, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Renee

Quote from: "RW"Why do you guys elect so many people down there?

In theory, it's the same reason why we elect senators, congressman and presidents. It's avoid having people with political ambitions that are contrary to the Constitution. In the case of KY. if that nutball wasn't elected the state would be stuck with her until she retired or died.

At least in the next election cycle she can be challenged and possibly done away with. I'd much rather have elected officials than civil servants in these kinds of positions. I don't know how it is in Canada but here in the US if you have CS that doesn't do their job properly, it is all but impossible to get rid of them. They can be completely incompetent and because of civil service protection laws it practically takes an act of God to get rid of them.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"We had a shipload of thongs go down in Northern Australia decades ago. Islanders were over the moon for weeks.

I once saw a load of carrots spilled on the highway.  They caused the road to flood.  No one was excited.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"A Constitution should be a living and evolving document IMHO.

I just don't understand this need to keep the government in its place.
 north Korea is a good example. Just sayin.

RW

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "RW"Why do you guys elect so many people down there?

in theory, it's the same reason why we elect senators, congressman and presidents. It's avoid having people with political ambitions that are contrary to the Constitution. In the case of KY. if that nutball wasn't elected the state would be stuck with her until she retired or died.

At least in the next election cycle she can be challenged and possibly done away with. I'd much rather have elected officials than civil servants in these kinds of positions. I don't know how it is in Canada but here in the US if you have CS that doesn't do their job properly, it is all but impossible to get rid of them. They can be completely incompetent and because of civil service protection laws it practically takes an act of God to get rid of them.

Most our civies are hired and union members.  It's not impossible to get rid of them but if one refused to say issue a marriage license to a gay couple because of religious beliefs, they would shit can him/her for discrimination.  That's a big no no here.  That would then be challenged and would probably result in an accommodation if possible.  If not, bye bye.

We only vote to elect municipal government (mayors, city counsellors, school trustees, regional district reps) and the equivalent to your Senators and Congressmen.  We don't vote directly for our PM unless you live in his/her federal riding.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Dove"

Sorry, I mean I don't understand the US's need to keep the government in its place.  We have a similar system to you guys but I don't feel the same level of fear our government is going to step out of line.  Different starts I guess.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"

Sorry, I mean I don't understand the US's need to keep the government in its place.  We have a similar system to you guys but I don't feel the same level of fear our government is going to step out of line.  Different starts I guess.

That's correct, you don't understand it because the birth of your nation was completely different than ours. It is part of the American psyche to have an inherent distrust of a powerful central government. This Kim Davis issue is sort of a microcosm of why we think the way we do. Americans in general don't really expect the gov to keep a check on itself. Governments main purpose is to perpetuate itself and that is usually done by grabbing onto power. Limiting governments ability to hold onto that power is best done at the voting booth
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Frood

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"We had a shipload of thongs go down in Northern Australia decades ago. Islanders were over the moon for weeks.

I once saw a load of carrots spilled on the highway.  They caused the road to flood.  No one was excited.

Rabbits and deer?
Blahhhhhh...

J0E

Actually, Fashionista, the real question you religious folks should as yourselves is, Why has society been divided into Church and State or Religious and Secular, but marriage as an institution is indivisible?

As a secular person, I've asked myself and others that question many times.

The loony left & the adherents of political correctness love to shove these contradictory social standards down our throats, and have even managed to brainwash & bully the religious folks into accepting them.

I believe in separate marital institutions for gay, straight, and whatever comes along.

If society is divisible, then logically it follows, so should the institution of marriage.

Gay is not straight and straight is not gay. They have different relationships and different outcomes.

They are as distinct from one another as secular is from religious.

Quote from: "Fashionista"Issuing marriage licenses in a secular institution like a court house does not conflict with our faith..

If pastors in gospel churches were being forced to perform wedding ceremonies for same sex couple, yes, but that is not the case for Kim Davis..

The church and state are separate, so she cannot force her convictions on a secular government institution..

If she cannot carry out her duties as a civil servant in a job that pays over $100,000 per year, then she should seriously consider getting a new career in a Christian environment or transfer to a different government department that won't force her to violate American law.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/kim-davis-kentucky-county-clerk-still-won-t-authorize-marriage-licences-1.3226886">http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/kim-davis- ... -1.3226886">http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/kim-davis-kentucky-county-clerk-still-won-t-authorize-marriage-licences-1.3226886

Kim Davis, Kentucky county clerk, still won't authorize marriage licences

Clerk Kim Davis returned to work Monday for the first time since being jailed for disobeying a federal judge and said she was faced with a "seemingly impossible choice" between following her conscience and losing her freedom over denying marriage licences to gay couples.  

With her voice shaking, she said she decided not to interfere with the marriage licences, but declared they would not be authorized by her and she questioned their validity.

In her first day back in the office after a five-day stint in jail, Davis said she was torn between obeying God and a directive from the judge that "forces me to disobey God." Davis, an Apostolic Christian, believes gay marriage is a sin.

RW

Quote from: "Renee"

That's correct, you don't understand it because the birth of your nation was completely different than ours. It is part of the American psyche to have an inherent distrust of a powerful central government. This Kim Davis issue is sort of a microcosm of why we think the way we do. Americans in general don't really expect the gov to keep a check on itself. Governments main purpose is to perpetuate itself and that is usually done by grabbing onto power. Limiting governments ability to hold onto that power is best done at the voting booth

I think that would be better done by limiting party campaign donations.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"

Rabbits and deer?

Nope.  They know better than to go on busy roads so they were sad they couldn't have carrots.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Frank"Actually, Fashionista, the real question you religious folks should as yourselves is, Why has society been divided into Church and State or Religious and Secular, but marriage as an institution is indivisible?

As a secular person, I've asked myself and others that question many times.

The loony left & the adherents of political correctness love to shove these contradictory social standards down our throats, and have even managed to brainwash & bully the religious folks into accepting them.

I believe in separate marital institutions for gay, straight, and whatever comes along.

If society is divisible, then logically it follows, so should the institution of marriage.

Gay is not straight and straight is not gay. They have different relationships and different outcomes.

They are as distinct from one another as secular is from religious.

Quote from: "Fashionista"Issuing marriage licenses in a secular institution like a court house does not conflict with our faith..

If pastors in gospel churches were being forced to perform wedding ceremonies for same sex couple, yes, but that is not the case for Kim Davis..

The church and state are separate, so she cannot force her convictions on a secular government institution..

If she cannot carry out her duties as a civil servant in a job that pays over $100,000 per year, then she should seriously consider getting a new career in a Christian environment or transfer to a different government department that won't force her to violate American law.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/kim-davis-kentucky-county-clerk-still-won-t-authorize-marriage-licences-1.3226886">http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/kim-davis- ... -1.3226886">http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/kim-davis-kentucky-county-clerk-still-won-t-authorize-marriage-licences-1.3226886

Kim Davis, Kentucky county clerk, still won't authorize marriage licences

Clerk Kim Davis returned to work Monday for the first time since being jailed for disobeying a federal judge and said she was faced with a "seemingly impossible choice" between following her conscience and losing her freedom over denying marriage licences to gay couples.  

With her voice shaking, she said she decided not to interfere with the marriage licences, but declared they would not be authorized by her and she questioned their validity.

In her first day back in the office after a five-day stint in jail, Davis said she was torn between obeying God and a directive from the judge that "forces me to disobey God." Davis, an Apostolic Christian, believes gay marriage is a sin.

And this person was not in a religious position but rather a state one.  In that, she issues marriage licenses to those who can legally marry which is now gays in the U.S.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Quote from: "Frank"The loony left & the adherents of political correctness love to shove these contradictory social standards down our throats, and have even managed to brainwash & bully the religious folks into accepting them.

Is the US Supreme Court the "loony left"? Governments and courts in the US and Canada have ruled that denying same-sex marriage is unconstitutional and in violation of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

It's not going to be banned again and it's not harming you or anyone else in any way!

Frood

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Frank"The loony left & the adherents of political correctness love to shove these contradictory social standards down our throats, and have even managed to brainwash & bully the religious folks into accepting them.

Is the US Supreme Court the "loony left"? Governments and courts in the US and Canada have ruled that denying same-sex marriage is unconstitutional and in violation of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

It's not going to be banned again and it's not harming you or anyone else in any way!

It does harm others.

It has herded more mewling little pro government and or pro religious harpies into registering their personal contracts with a fictitious construct of the human imagination to gain favors, respect, or to avoid repercussions. It's dog tags for free will and the pro gay marriage lot stupidly just put themselves in the pound with the rest.

Good job, Romero. Smart move.  :001_rolleyes:
Blahhhhhh...

Romero

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"It does harm others.

No it hasn't. How so?

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"It has herded more mewling little pro government and or pro religious harpies into registering their personal contracts with a fictitious construct of the human imagination to gain favors, respect, or to avoid repercussions. It's dog tags for free will and the pro gay marriage lot stupidly just put themselves in the pound with the rest.

What the heck does any of that nonsense mean?

Frood

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"It does harm others.

No it hasn't. How so?

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"It has herded more mewling little pro government and or pro religious harpies into registering their personal contracts with a fictitious construct of the human imagination to gain favors, respect, or to avoid repercussions. It's dog tags for free will and the pro gay marriage lot stupidly just put themselves in the pound with the rest.

What the heck does any of that nonsense mean?

If you need it drawn out for you, you're not a very bright poof.
Blahhhhhh...