News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

What's The Most Significant Advancement Of Your Lifetime?

Started by the shark hunter, September 15, 2015, 05:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

the shark hunter

... i think no matter what age you are you'll have an answer or two for this query ...

... i posted a topic on another board asking what generation you are from and got some wonderful replies, including one from a gent in his mid-80s who, among other things, divulged how he'd been around to see the birth of rock 'n' roll. such a notion is kind of bewildering in a way ...

... some big advancements in my life include computers, the internet, smartphones and flat screen TVs ...

... what would you list as big things that emerged in your own lifetime? they can be cultural or technological or whatever!

... comments?
http://www.callumhouston.com/index.html\">THE CALLUM HOUSTON WEB PAGE

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

the shark hunter

Quote from: "RW"The internet is the most significant - hands down.

... i would agree with that.  thing is, for a certain demographic they've always had the web since birth.  thanks for your reply, RW ...
http://www.callumhouston.com/index.html\">THE CALLUM HOUSTON WEB PAGE

RW

Quote from: "the shark hunter"
Quote from: "RW"The internet is the most significant - hands down.

... i would agree with that.  thing is, for a certain demographic they've always had the web since birth.  thanks for your reply, RW ...

I was about 10 or so when we got the internet at home.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Gay Boy Roberto

People hate as they love, unreasonably.

- William Makepeace Thackeray

Renee

\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Renee"ac_umm  The Clapper.  ac_biggrin

Next to the clapper haha
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "Renee"ac_umm  The Clapper.  ac_biggrin

Next to the clapper haha

Well, the Clapper is kinda hard to beat.

But...If you insist, I'm going to have to say the K-cup.

And I'm not referring to my bra size, so don't get any smart ideas.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"Do you use one of those?

A Clapper? ......No.

Bricktop

The personal or micro computer has changed humanity...but the thing that has had most impact is the evolution of flying. Humans can now travel to any part of the planet, almost at whim, changing perspectives, seeing wonders they did not know existed, engaging with other cultures and nationalities, and exploring space.

Computers are adept at storing and shifting information, but they cannot create it, or develop a better understanding of it. That is a human role.

I recall looking into the sky in the early 50's and watching jet aircraft scorch overhead, breaking the sound barrier (as you did in 1955), and seeing these massive, 4 prop intercontinental BEA (British Empire Airways...soon to become more famed as the first three letters of The Beatles) that today would look like light aircraft in comparison to the 767, 747, A380 and A360. What a marvel it would be to actually be in one of those amazing machines. But you needed to be important and rich. The common man still used trains and ships.

But the arrival of the 747 changed everything. Now hundreds could fly in a single aircraft, at a price that, even expensive in those days, was achievable. Now, by comparison, it is about 1/4 the cost, twice as fast, and easily accessed.

Flight in all its forms has changed humanity...for good and evil in some cases.

RW

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "RW"Do you use one of those?

A Clapper? ......No.

Oh I'm sorry.  I mistook you for a smart assed 80 year old :P
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

You're half right.

She's a lard assed 40 year old.

No...wait...is this microphone on???

Renee

Quote from: "SPECTRE"The personal or micro computer has changed humanity...but the thing that has had most impact is the evolution of flying. Humans can now travel to any part of the planet, almost at whim, changing perspectives, seeing wonders they did not know existed, engaging with other cultures and nationalities, and exploring space.

Computers are adept at storing and shifting information, but they cannot create it, or develop a better understanding of it. That is a human role.

I recall looking into the sky in the early 50's and watching jet aircraft scorch overhead, breaking the sound barrier (as you did in 1955), and seeing these massive, 4 prop intercontinental BEA (British Empire Airways...soon to become more famed as the first three letters of The Beatles) that today would look like light aircraft in comparison to the 767, 747, A380 and A360. What a marvel it would be to actually be in one of those amazing machines. But you needed to be important and rich. The common man still used trains and ships.

But the arrival of the 747 changed everything. Now hundreds could fly in a single aircraft, at a price that, even expensive in those days, was achievable. Now, by comparison, it is about 1/4 the cost, twice as fast, and easily accessed.

Flight in all its forms has changed humanity...for good and evil in some cases.

Wow that was a surprise. I thought you were going to say the wheel.