Replies: 10346
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:30:46 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Brent

Where do the Children Play?

Started by J0E, October 05, 2015, 01:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J0E

There's an old Cat Stevens song where he expresses his concern for the world we're living in now, and whether there'll be anything left of it when the children grow up:

That was just 40 years ago, when the world's population was half of what it is today. Like any other period in history, we've seen our share of pandemics, epidemics, wars, famines, etc. But its a bit different this time round with the planet at a break-even point. What is questionable now is whether there'll be enough land, water, resources and jobs for our children.

Never mind where they will play, but where will they work, earn a living in a world with reduced expectations? All the labor saving technologies are sure to displace millions, leave them with fewer options.

Perhaps I'm more pessimistic than most, but it think it'll be a difficult time for our children. Same time what do you folks think? Are you more optimistic about our children's future? Or less so?

Where to the Children Play?

RW

Mine play at the park.

Don't swing by.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

J0E

Quote from: "Dove"Over population is a myth.

Well Dovey, I was around when the population of your nation was 200 million.

That seemed to be America at its peak, the height of its economic prowess where there was enough to go around for everybody. Homelessness was relatively low, jobs and homes were plentiful, incarceration rates reasonable, drug abuse wasn't nearly as rampant and incomes were constantly rising. America seemed to be the land of plenty. the quality of life seemed to be higher. These conditions were also very similar in Canada at that time as well.

Fast forward 40 years, American society seems to be in a social state of decline and the standard of living is falling for its residents. As you pointed out, jobs/livelihoods are being outsourced, drug abuse is rampant and the overall quality of life is getting worse. Just like Canada, the middle class is under social stresses and its incomes are falling. Home prices are out of the reach of many.

Anyways, that's just my perspective. But it could also be due to the uneven distribution of wealth and the benefits of society wealth which aren't being shared as well.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Frank"There's an old Cat Stevens song where he expresses his concern for the world we're living in now, and whether there'll be anything left of it when the children grow up:

That was just 40 years ago, when the world's population was half of what it is today. Like any other period in history, we've seen our share of pandemics, epidemics, wars, famines, etc. But its a bit different this time round with the planet at a break-even point. What is questionable now is whether there'll be enough land, water, resources and jobs for our children.

Never mind where they will play, but where will they work, earn a living in a world with reduced expectations? All the labor saving technologies are sure to displace millions, leave them with fewer options.

Perhaps I'm more pessimistic than most, but it think it'll be a difficult time for our children. Same time what do you folks think? Are you more optimistic about our children's future? Or less so?

Where to the Children Play?

I will hardly lose sleep over something a crooner convert to Islam tells me to worry about.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"Over population is a myth.

It's not a concern of mine either Dove.

Frood

The rules are the issue. Bigger pops bring more rules until everything falls apart.
Blahhhhhh...

RW

I think they just bring stricter punishments to said rules.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Frood

Quote from: "RW"I think they just bring stricter punishments to said rules.

Population is like a long roadway with towns along it. At first, anyone can pull into any town whenever they want, park where they want, and for whatever reason. Merchants can stay open as they choose. Then the lines are painted, the meters installed, and the collectors hired. Eventually, sections are closed off to motor vehicles, the mewling little effeminate bicyclists in neon pantyhose's get their lions share of shoulders and pedestrian paths, businesses have strict operating times and types imposed on them, more thugs in blue are hired and they prey upon everyone with their fines and new local ordinances. Anyone in between these towns who wish to create their own little enclaves are barred from it.

It's ironically called progress.

There's more than enough room along the big open road. The rules become the issue. The cannibalism becomes the issue. Population not so much so.
Blahhhhhh...

RW

That must be an Australian thing.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Frood

Happens everywhere. The degree varies.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"
Quote from: "RW"I think they just bring stricter punishments to said rules.

Population is like a long roadway with towns along it. At first, anyone can pull into any town whenever they want, park where they want, and for whatever reason. Merchants can stay open as they choose. Then the lines are painted, the meters installed, and the collectors hired. Eventually, sections are closed off to motor vehicles, the mewling little effeminate bicyclists in neon pantyhose's get their lions share of shoulders and pedestrian paths, businesses have strict operating times and types imposed on them, more thugs in blue are hired and they prey upon everyone with their fines and new local ordinances. Anyone in between these towns who wish to create their own little enclaves are barred from it.

It's ironically called progress.

There's more than enough room along the big open road. The rules become the issue. The cannibalism becomes the issue. Population not so much so.

I look at a growing population as being beneficial..

They could be moving for jobs, for weather, or some other reason..

It can have drawbacks too as we saw in Alberta, but a growing population presents fewer challenges than a declining one.