The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

PCism Ruins Comedy

Started by RW, November 12, 2015, 01:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

A new era of political correctness combined with social media is causing comedians to steer clear of edgy jokes — and university bookings.

After comedian Carlos Mencia did his standup act at Rutgers University's Homecoming last September, a student activist complained that the routine was littered with racial and sexual epithets. Mencia was pleasantly surprised when the students and administration of the diverse Newark, N.J., campus opted to support him.

"I personally thought I was a huge success in the fact that, for the first time, somebody pointed out that the exception was the exception and not the rule," Mencia told TheWrap. "It wasn't, 'We're going to take this one person's complaints and turn it into, 'This is how everybody else felt,' it was, 'This is one person's complaint.'"

But for edgy comics like the former "Mind of Mencia" star whose material delves into racial and societal issues, run-ins with political correctness don't always go so smoothly. Last December, Bill Maher was the subject of a petition drive at the University of California Berkeley by activists opposed to his speaking at winter commencement because of his past remarks criticizing Muslims.

Across the United States, high-profile comedians like Jerry Seinfeld, Larry the Cable Guy and Chris Rock have said they are avoiding campuses because of student hypersensitivity. "I don't play colleges, but I hear a lot of people tell me, 'They're so PC,'" Seinfeld famously told ESPN's Colin Cowherd in June. "[Young people] just want to use these words: 'That's racist;' 'That's sexist;' 'That's prejudice.' ... They don't know what the hell they're talking about."

In recent weeks, TheWrap has discussed the issue with at least a dozen comedians, many of whom lamented that the fun of performing for young audiences has been diluted by a combination of extreme cultural sensitivity and the power of social media. "We are in an age of faux outrage," incoming "Daily Show" host Trevor Noah told TheWrap.

"Sometimes people don't even know why they're angry, they just jump on the bandwagon — they don't even do the research. The most brilliant example of that for me was Patton Oswalt, who sent out a series of tweets apologizing for nothing — and people lambasted him for it." Noah knows from experience — within hours after he was named to replace Jon Stewart, the South African native was called out on social media for edgy tweets about "fat chicks" and Jews that he had posted years ago. "That's the age we live in.

We don't want to read anymore, we don't want to find out why, we just go, are people angry? I want to be angry," he said. "And it's a mob mentality that's not progressive and it's not conducive to us getting to the truth of anything."

- See more at: https://www.thewrap.com/comedians-avoiding-campus-when-did-universities-lose-their-sense-of-humor/#sthash.xgjVqkWq.dpuf">https://www.thewrap.com/comedians-avoid ... VqkWq.dpuf">https://www.thewrap.com/comedians-avoiding-campus-when-did-universities-lose-their-sense-of-humor/#sthash.xgjVqkWq.dpuf
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

I was watching Bill Maher (wich is something I rarely do) and he was talking about how college campus's have become bastions of PCism and how many of today's comedians refuse to perform on campus. One little PC turd even had the audacity to write an editorial letter to Jerry Seinfeld and proceeded to lecture him on the how to be more PC in his comedy routine. Can you imagine the far left arrogance and stupidity of some 20 year old little snot nosed shit telling someone like Jerry Seinfeld how to do his job??? :shock:

All Maher could do was say something to the effect of "when I was 20 years old I did a lot od stupid stuff but wouldn't dare write an editorial telling George Carlin how to do his job by being more PC". because Carlin would have answered the editorial and told me to go fuck myself. :laugh:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

cc

Stand by for Mr P C Obfuscator ... .1 .. .2. .. 3..
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

RW

Quote from: "Renee"I was watching Bill Maher (wich is something I rarely do) and he was talking about how college campus's have become bastions of PCism and how many of today's comedians refuse to perform on campus. One little PC turd even had the audacity to write an editorial letter to Jerry Seinfeld and proceeded to lecture him on the how to be more PC in his comedy routine. Can you imagine the far left arrogance and stupidity of some 20 year old little snot nosed shit telling someone like Jerry Seinfeld how to do his job??? :shock:

All Maher could do was say something to the effect of "when I was 20 years old I did a lot od stupid stuff but wouldn't dare write an editorial telling George Carlin how to do his job by being more PC". because Carlin would have answered the editorial and told me to go fuck myself. :laugh:

And that's exactly what needs to happen.  More of these stupid little PC pukes need to be told to go fuck themselves.

We need to stop bowing to this shit as if it wasn't the exception.  All the people who didn't write in to bitch either liked it or didn't care enough to put paper to pen.  We need to stop bending over for the small group of idiots that make a fuss over nothing.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "Renee"I was watching Bill Maher (wich is something I rarely do) and he was talking about how college campus's have become bastions of PCism and how many of today's comedians refuse to perform on campus. One little PC turd even had the audacity to write an editorial letter to Jerry Seinfeld and proceeded to lecture him on the how to be more PC in his comedy routine. Can you imagine the far left arrogance and stupidity of some 20 year old little snot nosed shit telling someone like Jerry Seinfeld how to do his job??? :shock:

And that's exactly what needs to happen.  More of these stupid little PC pukes need to be told to go fuck themselves.

We need to stop bowing to this shit as if it wasn't the exception.  All the people who didn't write in to bitch either liked it or didn't care enough to put paper to pen.  We need to stop bending over for the small group of idiots that make a fuss over nothing.

You are 100% correct, it's time we strung these PC scumbags up by their thumbs.

But unfortunately the far left and their prog allies with their PC horse hit have elevated the art of making mountains out of molehills into a science (just watch Romero in action). They have somehow buffaloed the majority of people into believing that their point of view is the correct pov and that offending others is a crime against humanity. Anyone who dares disagree is demonized and persecuted by the PC left's favorite lap dog...the so called news media.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Romero

QuoteDonald Trump Says He Rejected 'SNL' Skits That Were 'Too Risqué'

Donald Trump is scheduled to host "Saturday Night Live" this week. On Friday's episode of "The O'Reilly Factor," the reality TV star said he nixed a number of potential skits for fear of further depressing his sinking poll numbers.

"Yes, I had to. There were a couple that were too risqué," Trump told Fox News host Bill O'Reilly when asked if he'd rejected some of the proposed scripts. "Because, you know, the poll just came down. I'm leading in Iowa. I want to stay leading in Iowa."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-rejected-snl-skits-too-risque_563e38a5e4b0b24aee4a8fab">//http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-rejected-snl-skits-too-risque_563e38a5e4b0b24aee4a8fab

It ended up being one of the most boring SNL's I've ever seen.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"What a wuss.

He's fizzling out. It was only a matter of time. The GOP base is wanting more than just inflammatory rhetoric and a bad haircut.  :laugh3:

RW

I really wanted him to win the Republican candidacy.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"I really wanted him to win the Republican candidacy.

It would have been interesting.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "RW"I really wanted him to win the Republican candidacy.

It would have been interesting.

I see Ben Carson is in trouble now too. He wrote a book claiming he was one bad little dude, but the events surrounding it cannot be confirmed.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!