The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

My Father was an Atheist

Started by J0E, November 15, 2015, 01:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Joe, it's rather simple to grok - cc has never been called out for weaving tall tales like you have.  That gives her a level of credibility that you just don't have.  When cc recounts stories of loss in her life, we have no reason to disbelieve the validity of her claims.  

You, on the other hand, have demonstrated trustworthiness.  Your stories are often unbelievable in that they do not stand up to scrutiny.  You only have yourself to blame for that.

At the same time, I want to remind posters that if you believe what a poster tells you, it doesn't make you look badly, it makes that person look badly.

In terms of religion Joe, I suggest you attend a few different services and see which one you enjoy.

I have used handles to troll posters that in my opinion had it coming. However, IF this is a made up story it really crosses the line.

cc

Quote from: "Wisdom"if you believe what a poster tells you, it doesn't make you look badly,

it makes that person look badly.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

It's best to give a person the benefit of the doubt in this case.

Renee

Frank worries me. I get the idea that he keeps his dead dad in a room in his house like Mrs. Bates and wears his dads clothes and pretends to be both Joe/Frank AND Dad. I can only imagine the conversations between the three. Just imagine all the friends from different cultures, backgrounds and lifestyles they must have that they can discuss.  ac_wot

Well, I guess as long as the dead guy ain't driven the limo it's pretty harmless. :laugh3:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Frank"He did many wonderful things for me during his time on earth which I'm grateful for and I'll remember him kindly forever for that.

And yet he was an atheist and professed to neither believing in religion nor God.

He said that the Bible was just a fable.

Now I don't know if that's true or not.

But I never totally agreed with him about the existence of God or an Afterlife.

Nor that the Bible is totally untrue, as I've found some nuggets of wisdom in the Bible which I've at least partially agreed with.

Actually, I'd classify myself as 'agnostic'. Not totally sure who is correct and which faith is right.

I think whatever religion any of us chooses to follow seems merely to be a man-made framework which we have devised for ourselves to better understand the world and find meaning in our daily existence. In fact, those who follow a religion may in reality be worshipping the same spirits/gods/god. It may be just a different method of solving the same equation to achieve the exactly the same result. ie - 1+1=2 or 4-2=2 or 2 + 0=2 or 3-1=2 and so on.

Anyways, I thought at times his vision of the world and the afterlife seemed too stark and bleak. and it would surface at times, particularly at family gatherings. We'd all eat at what were essentially Christian holidays without paying deference to them in any way. But I didn't necessarily agree with it. Even if one doesn't pay tribute to a Christian God, then to a spirit would suffice. I know in many other religions/faiths they do.

So lately, I've thought about adopting a faith even though I'm firmly in the camp these days of 'Undecided or Not Sure.' Perhaps it could be thought of as 'an Assurance Marker'?

Is there anything wrong with the stance? What are its shortcomings or strengths? Or does it seem too flimsy and its underpinnings too loose?
 Jesus Christ said "Seek and ye shall find".

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Sure.  Steal all my Catholic points.
I got some points for ya. 5 of them *eyebrow wiggle*

J0E

Say Renn, if you're interested in my patented weight loss diet, I can provide some tips for free.

I've used it myself with spectacular results. It works. Lost as much as 30 lbs in less than 4 months.

I lost 15 earlier this year.

Contrary to your preconceived notions, not all calories are created equal, y'know.

Admittedly, I've started ta git a little ponchy lately with the early winter weather and all so I could lose a few extra pounds.

So I'll soon be ditchin' the beer, cookies, potato chips ad embarking on Joe's patented weight loss diet.

Let ya know how it goes, eh Renn?

Quote from: "Renee"Frank worries me. I get the idea that he keeps his dead dad in a room in his house like Mrs. Bates and wears his dads clothes and pretends to be both Joe/Frank AND Dad. I can only imagine the conversations between the three. Just imagine all the friends from different cultures, backgrounds and lifestyles they must have that they can discuss.  ac_wot

Well, I guess as long as the dead guy ain't driven the limo it's pretty harmless. :laugh3:

Renee

Quote from: "Frank"Say Renn, if you're interested in my patented weight loss diet, I can provide some tips for free.

I've used it myself with spectacular results. It works. Lost as much as 30 lbs in less than 4 months.

Contrary to your preconceived notions, not all calories are created equal, y'know.

Admittedly, I've started ta git a little ponchy lately with the early winter weather and all so I could lose a few extra pounds.

So I'll soon be ditchin' the beer, cookies, potato chips ad embarking on Joe's patented weight loss diet.

Quote from: "Renee"Frank worries me. I get the idea that he keeps his dead dad in a room in his house like Mrs. Bates and wears his dads clothes and pretends to be both Joe/Frank AND Dad. I can only imagine the conversations between the three. Just imagine all the friends from different cultures, backgrounds and lifestyles they must have that they can discuss.  ac_wot

Congratulations, Joe.

But that's more than I need or want to know. No need to keep me in the loop.

Thanks anyway.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

J0E

......well Renn, at least when yer up inn Canada next time, don't fergget ta give Joe's Limo a calle. Our driver use the patented 'Velvet Touch' driving techniques. So smooth, so relaxing, it'll be jes' like lying on the sofa. And the seats in the back are softer than a baby's bottom. Even driving over the speed bumps feels like a massage in a sauna.

And jes' fer you, I'll extend a one time 10% discount 'til June 30th, 2016.

So sign up today, Renn.

Don't delay, do it today!

You'll be glad ya did.

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Frank"Say Renn, if you're interested in my patented weight loss diet, I can provide some tips for free.

Congratulations, Joe.

But that's more than I need or want to know. No need to keep me in the loop.

Thanks anyway.

Renee

Quote from: "Frank"......well Renn, at least when yer up inn Canada next time, don't fergget ta give Joe's Limo a calle. Our driver use the patented 'Velvet Touch' driving techniques. So smooth, so relaxing, it'll be jes' like lying on the sofa. And the seats in the back are softer than a baby's bottom. Even driving over the speed bumps feels like a massage in a sauna.

So sign up today, Renn.

You'll be glad ya did.

He Joe,

I hope business is not so bad that you need to solicit clients from 3000 miles away.  :laugh:

Thanks but I can get a limo ride that's a little more local.

J0E

.....Not so, Renn......not so.

Clients come far and wide to get the complete 'Velevet Touch' Experience, Renn.

Certainly Much further than 3000 miles.  

Heck fer some clientelle, that's just a hop skip jump from the backyard.

Never a shortage of demand 'round hea' Renn!

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Frank"......well Renn, at least when yer up inn Canada next time, don't fergget ta give Joe's Limo a calle. Our driver use the patented 'Velvet Touch' driving techniques. So smooth, so relaxing, it'll be jes' like lying on the sofa. And the seats in the back are softer than a baby's bottom. Even driving over the speed bumps feels like a massage in a sauna.

So sign up today, Renn.

You'll be glad ya did.

He Joe,

I hope business is not so bad that you need to solicit clients from 3000 miles away.  :laugh:

Thanks but I can get a limo ride that's a little more local.

Anonymous

We can put this guy in the reject rodeo anytime now. *hint hint*.

RW

Quote from: "Dove"
Quote from: "RW"Sure.  Steal all my Catholic points.
I got some points for ya. 5 of them *eyebrow wiggle*

Are said points redeemable for rosaries, relics, and papal stamps?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"We can put this guy in the reject rodeo anytime now. *hint hint*.

Why what's done? Even Lanny Lefty does not deserve to be in a cage. Neither of those guys is asking for it the way Odinson or DD were.

Renee

Quote from: "Dove"We can put this guy in the reject rodeo anytime now. *hint hint*.

Joe/Frank is harmless. He's just a tad annoying.