Replies: 10387
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:57:16 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Singapore

Started by Gary Oak, December 19, 2012, 05:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leopardsocks

Quote from: "Romero"^Yikes. Britain has progressed from the 19th century. So should Singapore.

QuoteThe media are strongly controlled by the state, with few alternatives available to citizens for independent news. In 2006, the media watchdog group Reporters Without Borders ranked Singapore 146th in media freedom (out of 168 countries surveyed); Freedom House's Freedom of the Press 2007 survey considered Singapore "not free" in terms of media freedoms, ranking it 154th (out of 195 countries). Restrictions on the freedom of expression also extend to foreign media outlets, which are sometimes restricted from distributing materials containing negative stories about Singapore or its political leadership. Political party newspapers are basically banned through regular use of the slander laws. In the 2006 elections, the possibility for political speech and thus of effective political opposition was further restricted by new rules prohibiting political commentary through websites, blogs, and podcasts that might be considered biased toward a candidate or party, meaning an opposition candidate.

I can't imagine why you would want anything like this.

Firstly, as the beautifully dangerous Madam Wu points out, unless you've been there, you are not in a position to comment with any authority.

The people want it, because it works.

Take into account its unique geographical, geophysical and demographic characteristics, and without strict control and discipline, Singapore would not exist. Yet it is a shining pillar of how a government, precisely tailored to its nation, can work very effectively.

Singapore has no natural water supply, despite its extreme rainfall. It pipes in from Malaysia, with whom it has always had a rather tenuous relationship. Malaysia has threatened to cut off the supply more than once, placing Singapore in a precarious position. As a fallback, it needed its own emergency reservoir.

So, it simply sealed shut one of the bays on its miniscule coastline, pumped out the seawater, and allowed the Singapore River to flow into it, rather than out to sea. Just to add to the ambience, it then built a Formula One circuit around the new Marina, that could accommodate the first night race in F1 history.

In a western nation, which chokes on its own political vomit, this would have taken years, with all sorts of impact studies, blah blah blah...

It took them 18 months. Job done. The people are PROUD of their achievement.

You tell me...whats wrong with this system?

Obvious Li

romeo..hates efficiency.......and loves bureaucrats..the more the merrier......if he can add enough union workers to double the cost he tries for more....he will never be satisfied until everyone has a govt. job...i love the guy

Gary Oak

Romero is so beyond dumb that I have given up even making any vain attempts at cluing him in to even the most obvious things

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Obvious Li"romeo..hates efficiency.......and loves bureaucrats..the more the merrier......if he can add enough union workers to double the cost he tries for more....he will never be satisfied until everyone has a govt. job...i love the guy

I see on the retard forum you are going to meet him and bb face to face. Hold on to your wallet my friend.

thx for the heads up....but i suspect it ain't happening....my buddy is lining up a trip for me about that time..it's one of my "bucket list" of things to do so i have to go when he calls......but someday we will have a beer with homy...i'll buy him a nice micro brew....maybe on granville island...you're invited of course

Leopardsocks

Quote from: "Obvious Li"
Quote from: "Obvious Li"romeo..hates efficiency.......and loves bureaucrats..the more the merrier......if he can add enough union workers to double the cost he tries for more....he will never be satisfied until everyone has a govt. job...i love the guy

I see on the retard forum you are going to meet him and bb face to face. Hold on to your wallet my friend.

thx for the heads up....but i suspect it ain't happening....my buddy is lining up a trip for me about that time..it's one of my "bucket list" of things to do so i have to go when he calls......but someday we will have a beer with homy...i'll buy him a nice micro brew....maybe on granville island...you're invited of course

Ah...all mouth, no trousers...

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Leopardsocks"

hehehe...psycho sticks his head up...i'm not sure why you wish to subject yourself to constant abuse other than it is part of mental illness, but......on this occasion i will take the high road and simply say ...good night putz....take your meds and sweet dreams

Anonymous

hehehe...psycho sticks his head up...i'm not sure why you wish to subject yourself to constant abuse other than it is part of mental illness, but......on this occasion i will take the high road and simply say ...good night putz....take your meds and sweet dreams

Leopardsocks seems like a very nice boy Obvious Li, just like you.

;)

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Leopardsocks seems like a very nice boy Obvious Li, just like you.

;)

lol.... give it time sweetpea......his true inner being will show itself soon enough......fair warning

Leopardsocks

Only for you, Bruce...only for you...

Leopardsocks

I do!!!

Its the London of Asia!!!!

Leopardsocks

I don't think there is one...Singapore is somewhat unique. Its all very new, while Europe is quite old. For sheer vibrancy though, London is a good comparison. Orchard Road is very Regent Street.

Chinatown is pretty cool. Best food for the money anywhere on the planet!!!

Leopardsocks

Oh, yes...its disgusting. They cannot cook anything.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Leopardsocks"Oh, yes...its disgusting. They cannot cook anything.

I like roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.

Leopardsocks

Thats a home cooked dish. Try eating in their restaurants!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Leopardsocks"Thats a home cooked dish. Try eating in their restaurants!!!

Britain is expensive too.