The best topic

Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

The difference between countries vs religion

Started by RW, November 15, 2015, 11:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

I'm glad to hear this because Reza Aslan has said exactly what I have questioned for some time now.  There IS a difference between country based practices vs religious practices.  I think it is about time we start addressing that fact rather than painting over a billion people with the same brush.

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXPCue-kT2I
Beware of Gaslighters!

asal

culture.  people impose cultural practices on their interpretation of their religion.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

asal

Yes.

Someone wrote a paper so I have one (1) reference  ac_smile

">//http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic152604.files/Week_4/Geertz_Religon_as_a_Cultural_System_.pdf

Here's a more straightforward reference:

http://www.cultureandreligion.com/">//http://www.cultureandreligion.com/

QuoteReligion defines how the community members interpret their role in the universe, with this teaching based on the local culture, so different religions rise out of different cultures. Similarly when members of one religion convert members of a foreign culture often the resulting religion in that area is affected by the host culture.

J0E

I have a nice friend who is Iranian and a secular Muslim.

He's paying massive amounts of alimony to his ex-wife who lives in the big beautiful spacious house he bought for her and his kids on the North Shore.

He hardly gets to see his children and he works like a dog to pay off his ex, make the support payments and to support himself in this small bachelor pad he currently lives in. He told me he's just dying to have the weekend off to see his kids once again, the ones he brought into this world.

... no matter what religion or culture, its members seem to suffer the same kind of problems and face the same amount of issues as any other race/religion.

Anyways, I wonder if he wishes that he'd stayed in Iran. Poor guy, I feel sorry for him. At least he would've gotten a better deal, that, I'm sure.

asal

Quote from: "Frank"I have a nice friend who is Iranian and a secular Muslim.

He's paying massive amounts of alimony to his ex-wife who lives in the big beautiful spacious house he bought for her and his kids on the North Shore.

He hardly gets to see his children and he works like a dog to pay off his ex, make the support payments and to support himself. He told me he's just dying to have the weekend off to see his kids once again, the ones he brought into this world.

... no matter what religion or culture, its members seem to suffer the same kind of problems and face the same amount of issues as any other race/religion.

Anyways, I wonder if he wishes that he'd stayed in Iran. Poor guy, I feel sorry for him. At least he would've gotten a better deal, that, I'm sure.

:laugh:

He would've had full custody of his children if he stayed in Iran.

He chose his wife Frank.  He applied for his current situation.  Maybe it's bad now - they'll still be his kids in the future and they will have lots of good times together.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I'm glad to hear this because Reza Aslan has said exactly what I have questioned for some time now.  There IS a difference between country based practices vs religious practices.  I think it is about time we start addressing that fact rather than painting over a billion people with the same brush.

I know people that are secular Muslims. They like their liquor and their bacon. However, the issue is not culture, it's the violence of an ideology created by a violent pedophile 1400 years ago.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I'm glad to hear this because Reza Aslan has said exactly what I have questioned for some time now.  There IS a difference between country based practices vs religious practices.  I think it is about time we start addressing that fact rather than painting over a billion people with the same brush.

Islam in South East Asia is usually not as radical as the Middle East..

But even there, there are Al Qaeda type groups like Abu Sayaf.

Renee

Quote from: "Frank"I have a nice friend who is Iranian and a secular Muslim.

He hardly gets to see his children and he works like a dog to pay off his ex, make the support payments and to support himself in this small bachelor pad he currently lives in. He told me he's just dying to have the weekend off to see his kids once again, the ones he brought into this world.

Once again Frank/Joe has the experience of a friend to call upon so he can add his brand of relevance to a particular subject. :laugh: Funny how Frank lives such a full life vicariously thru so many other people.  :laugh:

It must be his occupation (cab driver) that gives him such varied access to the public that enables him to have so many friends of varied cultural and religious backgrounds. I'll bet if the subject was about the cultural/religious and social adaptation of Kalahari tribesmen, Frank/Joe would have a friend from Botswana that he could use to interject his retardation into the discussion. :laugh:

Poor goofy Franky.  :laugh3:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

Quote from: "Shen Li"

I know people that are secular Muslims. They like their liquor and their bacon. However, the issue is not culture, it's the violence of an ideology created by a violent pedophile 1400 years ago.
So why aren't they all violent?  

This has always bothered me.  Why aren't all of the billion+ Muslims including the devout ones violent killers?  The MAJORITY of them aren't.

Explain that.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "Shen Li"

So why aren't they all violent?  

This has always bothered me.  Why aren't all of the billion+ Muslims including the devout ones violent killers?  The MAJORITY of them aren't.

Explain that.

It boils down to motive steeped in homicidal fanaticism. Fanatics, homicidal or otherwise aren't born, they are created. I don't think you can put a finger on one single common reason why a small percentage of Muslims are so batshit that they devalue human life in the name of their perversion of the Islamic faith. The whole concept is so foreign and insane to the rational mind that I'm not sure it is worth truly trying to figure out.

One thing is certain is that the majority of so-called nonviolent Muslims in this world need to not just give lip service in condemnation of these violent acts; they need to step up and take action against the enemy within. It has to be a committed and sustained effort. Only if they act and put an end to the support that they inadvertently and unintentionally provide organizations like ISIS, will the violence come to an end.

Unfortunately this is not just a western problem. A lot of what allows these terror groups to exist extends from the Sunni vs Shia crap and that rift goes  back to the 7th century. Getting the two sides to work together in a common goal is almost impossible because even the so-called moderate Muslims on both sides are so utterly inflexible in their attitude toward each other.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dove"
">https://youtu.be/fgsrnmzxEUY
Hello Dove, nice to see you here..

ac_hithere

I will look at this video later.

Anonymous

I worked in six countries in the Middle East and disliked all of them. Some more than others. I also travelled to other countries in the region. I thought it was racism against Arabs in the early stages. I came to realize it was something else. The over powering belief is rotten to it's very core. Anti human to the extreme. Everyone at least in public must be careful not to offend it in anyway. And it offends very easily.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"I worked in six countries in the Middle East and disliked all of them. Some more than others. I also travelled to other countries in the region. I thought it was racism against Arabs in the early stages. I came to realize it was something else. The over powering belief is rotten to it's very core. Anti human to the extreme. Everyone at least in public must be careful not to offend it in anyway. And it offends very easily.

My husband has been to many countries in that region too Herman.

Print
User actions