The best topic

Replies: 10360
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:55:08 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Miss Canada World denied entry to pageant in China

Started by cc, November 22, 2015, 02:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34884495">BBC - Miss Canada World denied entry to pageant in China

http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/68C4/production/_86802862_3010-glow.jpg">

Anastasia Lin, the winner of Miss World Canada, says that she has been denied the right to compete in this year's Miss World competition because she has spoken out about Chinese human rights abuses.

The 25-year-old Chinese-born actress did not receive an invitation letter from the Chinese government that would allow her to take part in the Miss World competition this December in Sanya, China.

Since winning the crown in May, Lin was praised by many for her outspoken opposition to China's record of human rights violations. She has particularly focused on defending Falun Gong, a spiritual group that the Chinese government regards as a cult.

Chinese law allows for the arrest of anyone suspected of supporting religious movements that aren't approved by the state.

Lin's moved from China to Canada in 2003. Her interest in human rights began when she heard the stories of other Chinese citizens who said they were targeted by the government.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

cc

She's a cutey.

I'm no beauty pageant fan, something about the concept doesn't ring as right to me ... however this is really political and shows us that China has not progressed at all in some ways

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"She's a cutey.

I'm no beauty pageant fan, something about the concept doesn't ring as right to me ... however this is really political and shows us that China has not progressed at all in some ways

They have progressed significantly cc la femme, but they will never become as open as Taiwan or South Korea for example.

Lance Leftardashian

Anastasia Lin should respect the  feelings of her host nation and not raise issues that may hurt the Chinese peoples feelings.
I care, you pay

cc

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lance Leftardashian"Anastasia Lin should respect the  feelings of her host nation and not raise issues that may hurt the Chinese peoples feelings.

I am about 10 seconds away from smacking you Lanny. ac_beating

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Lance Leftardashian"Anastasia Lin should respect the  feelings of her host nation and not raise issues that may hurt the Chinese peoples feelings.

I am about 10 seconds away from smacking you Lanny. ac_beating

He says some odd things Herman.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Shen - Your take on this ?

There's an old Chinese proverb; one dog barks at something, and a hundred at the bark. We are a conformist society. Beijing is mindful of the pack mimicking this dog's bark.

J0E

China does not permit Free Speech though.

The idea that anyone could speak out openly against their government in forums such as these would be unheard of.

The acitivites of China's citizens on the Internet is controlled and monitored by the Chinese government.

Chinese citizens are frequently flagged and jailed for speaking out against their government in cyberspace.

I appreciate the relative Freedom of Speech we have in Canada compared with nations such as China.

Movements such as the falun gong make me realize how lucky/we are in this country.

Too often we take this freedom for granted.

Likewise, I appreciate forums such as the Blue Cashew which give us the opportunity which facilitate this freedom and exercise our fundamental rights in Canada. Left or Right, at least we can speak what's on our mind.

And we are free to agree and disagree with one another.

Quote from: "Shen Li"

There's an old Chinese proverb; one dog barks at something, and a hundred at the bark. We are a conformist society. Beijing is mindful of the pack mimicking this dog's bark.

Anonymous

Japan and Taiwan too even though they are both open and free democracies.

Renee

Alright, I know you got that out of a fortune cookie.  

I also hear there is a Chinese proverb that says; "If dog is still barking, you can count on a meatless dinner".   :ohmy: :laugh:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"

I also hear there is a Chinese proverb that says; "If dog is still barking, you can count on a meatless dinner".   :ohmy: :laugh:

ac_toofunny  ac_lmfao

Bricktop

Quote from: "Renee"

You're sick. :oeudC: