News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

What does the Bible say about pedophiles and wife beaters?

Started by J0E, November 27, 2015, 12:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J0E

Quote from: "the shark hunter"... we don't base anything we do on what the bible says.  it's not where we get our moral code from ...

Well, I'm in a slight, but friendly disagreement with you, Sharkie.

Much of our laws are based upon Judeo-Christian principles.

ie - Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, covet they neighbor's wife, etc.

So the influence the way the laws are constructed and people in our society behave.

Likewise, the Koran has greatly influenced how people living under Islamic laws behave as well.

Some within Islam believe that while sexual relations between man and women are taboo among Muslims, this excludes acts between a Muslim male and an infidel or non-Muslim woman in a time of war.

In other words, forcible acts - rape.

Quote"Abu Sai'd al-Khudri said : The Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him)  sent a military expedition to Awtas on the occasion of the battle of  Hunain. They met their enemy and fought with them. They defeated them  and took them captives. Some of the Companions of the Apostle of Allah  (may peace be upon him) were reluctant to have intercourse with the  female captives in the presence of their husbands who were unbelievers.  So Allah, the Exalted, sent down the Qur'anic verse: [Sura 4:24) "And  all married women (are forbidden) unto you save those (captives) whom  your right hands possess." That is to say, they are lawful for them when  they complete their waiting period. (1479)" Abu Dawud vol.2]
So some extremists/fundamentalists have taken it upon themselves to state that they are in a state of Holy War with the West (jihad) and this gives license to rape Western Women even in their homelands such as Europe, because they are not Muslim. I know it seems perverse and perhaps Muslims don't want to talk about it. However, it is an example of how a Holy Book can influence written laws and their followers' behavior.

Likewise, because the Bible did not specifically state that wife beating is prohibited, some men who call themselves Christians feel they can morally justify physical abuse of their wives. Like most, I feel this is wrong, but it demonstrates the link between religious writings and the shaping of laws of social behaviors.

RW

Crow and Renee, clearly you need to brush up on your bible.  They stoned and crucified people.

Double DERP!
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "RW"Crow and Renee, clearly you need to brush up on your bible.  They stoned and crucified people.

Double DERP!

How does  crucifixion or stoning relate to execution of pedophiles by "shooting" in the biblical sense?

:oeudC:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

@realAzhyaAryola

The Bible says help the poor and needy.  ac_biggrin

Here is some of what the Bible says about domestic violence and abuse:

http://www.openbible.info/topics/domestic_violence_and_abuse">http://www.openbible.info/topics/domest ... _and_abuse">http://www.openbible.info/topics/domestic_violence_and_abuse

Colossians 3:19 ESV

Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them.

Psalm 11:5 ESV

The Lord tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence.

2 Timothy 3:1-8 ESV

But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. ...

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 ESV

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

1 Peter 3:7 ESV

Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

Galatians 5:19-21 ESV

Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Ephesians 4:29-32 ESV

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

the shark hunter

Quote from: "Frank"
Quote from: "the shark hunter"... we don't base anything we do on what the bible says.  it's not where we get our moral code from ...

Well, I'm in a slight, but friendly disagreement with you, Sharkie.

Much of our laws are based upon Judeo-Christian principles.

... those are the laws of the lawyers, Joe.  i stand by my statement ...
http://www.callumhouston.com/index.html\">THE CALLUM HOUSTON WEB PAGE

Bricktop

Quote from: "RW"Crow and Renee, clearly you need to brush up on your bible.  They stoned and crucified people.

Double DERP!

And still do.

But you need to stop shooting your mouth!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"The Bible says help the poor and needy.  ac_biggrin

http://www.openbible.info/topics/domestic_violence_and_abuse">http://www.openbible.info/topics/domest ... _and_abuse">http://www.openbible.info/topics/domestic_violence_and_abuse

The Lord tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence.

But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. ...

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

Oh great, quoting from the bible. :oeudC:

@realAzhyaAryola

To show Frank who needed assistance, Shen. It's not for you to take in. So you can relax. I'm no church lady, as you know. I may have posted it for Frank but it's not something I live by. I'm a sinner saved by grace.  :wink: ac_biggrin
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"To show Frank who needed assistance, Shen. It's not for you to take in. So you can relax. I'm no church lady, as you know. I may have posted it for Frank but it's not something I live by. I'm a sinner saved by grace.  :wink: ac_biggrin

Good to know AA. For a second, I thought we were losing you to the other side. ac_wot

@realAzhyaAryola

Been there, done that, Shen. Whether we really do face the Big Guy at the end, so be it. I will answer for all my thoughts, words, and deeds.  :laugh3:
@realAzhyaAryola

Anonymous

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"The Bible says help the poor and needy.  ac_biggrin

Boom.

Renee

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"I'm not aware of the bow and arrow being used for executions, due to their poor stopping power and inaccuracy.

Although that wouldn't be a factor in your case.

There are a lot of things you aren't aware of. For starters, like the fact that you are a buffoon as well as a moron. You run off at the mouth like an idiot every chance you get and it has never been more evident than in your previous post.

The bow in the hands of an experienced archer is NOT inaccurate and it has plenty of "stopping power". Even bows in biblical times were used as front line battle weapons with the ability to pierce the body armor of the time. In the middle ages the bow really came into its own. For example, during the battle of Agincourt in 1415 where English long bowman cut down the flower of French nobility despite the fact that the French were wearing plate armor. I don't really need to continue because you already look like a fool.

Once again you ran your mouth without really knowing the slightest thing about which you speak. Stick to what you know and are good at, like being a prissy, twat and a tantrum throwing, little baby.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Bricktop

Once again, you display the American cultural trait of shooting off your mouth before checking that your brain is loaded.

The discussion, such as it was, related to bows in biblical times.

It is unsurprising that Wikipedia disagrees with your assertation; "Projectile weapons were used by the ancient Egyptians as standoff artillery, used to soften up the enemy before an infantry assault. Slings, throw sticks, spears, and javelins were used, but the bow and arrow was the primary projectile weapon for most of Egypt's history."

See, unlike you, it relies on fact, not fat to win argument.

I repeat, against my informed judgment, that we are talking about implements of execution. Not weapons of war.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Mr Crowley"I'm not aware of the bow and arrow being used for executions, due to their poor stopping power and inaccuracy.

Although that wouldn't be a factor in your case.

There are a lot of things you aren't aware of. For starters, like the fact that you are a buffoon as well as a moron. You run off at the mouth like an idiot every chance you get and it has never been more evident than in your previous post.

The bow in the hands of an experienced archer is NOT inaccurate and it has plenty of "stopping power". Even bows in biblical times were used as front line battle weapons with the ability to pierce the body armor of the time. In the middle ages the bow really came into its own. For example, during the battle of Agincourt in 1415 where English long bowman cut down the flower of French nobility despite the fact that the French were wearing plate armor. I don't really need to continue because you already look like a fool.

Once again you ran your mouth without really knowing the slightest thing about which you speak. Stick to what you know and are good at, like being a prissy, twat and a tantrum throwing, little baby.

My ex bf was a hunter. He liked using a crossbow and brought down bull elk with it. They are accurate and powerful.