News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10360
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:55:08 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Bus Service From Powell River To Vancouver Cancelled PERMANENTLY!

Started by the shark hunter, November 27, 2015, 01:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

I sympathize a lot with the problem sharky, but is it that "the crown IS in the bus transportation business and is BY FAR the biggest provider of bus transport in the land" ?

or is it that govt "regulates" service?. There is a great distinction between the 2
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

the shark hunter

Quote from: "cc la femme"I sympathize a lot with the problem sharky, but is it that "the crown IS in the bus transportation business and is BY FAR the biggest provider of bus transport in the land" ?

or is it that govt "regulates" service?. There is a great distinction between the 2

... both.  i think you know that too ...  :icon_wink:
http://www.callumhouston.com/index.html\">THE CALLUM HOUSTON WEB PAGE

cc

I'm on your side. I think you should have service.

I know nothing for sure about who owns buses and runs lines, except for some obvious companies

Does  the govt. "provide" runs? and if so where and under what circumstances and by what means?

I suppose the govt. could "subsidize" some runs where needed but are not economically viable for private business which is not in business to lose money.

Do they?

the shark hunter

Quote from: "cc la femme"I'm on your side. I think you should have service.

I know nothing for sure about who owns buses and runs lines, except for some obvious companies

Does  the govt. "provide" runs? and if so where and under what circumstances and by what means?

Do they?

... yes, the government has extensive bus operations.  where?  in all towns and cities ...

cc

True. Some cities do run local service "within" cities. Some farm it out.

They do not usually run service "between" cities anywhere in N America that I know of.

You may know of some exceptions??.

the shark hunter

Quote from: "cc la femme"They do not usually run service "between" cities anywhere in N America that I know of.  You may know of some exceptions??.

... actually they do, cc.  although sometimes you need to transfer to a different bus ...

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"I'm on your side. I think you should have service.

I suppose the govt. could "subsidize" some runs where needed but are not economically viable for private business which is not in business to lose money.

Do they?

Having a regularly scheduled service with no passengers is expensive. Even here in Edmonton, I see buses driving around on weekends with 1 or 2 passengers. How is that good for climate change or prudent use of tax dollars?

RW

Quote from: "cc la femme"True. Some cities do run local service "within" cities. Some farm it out.

They do not usually run service "between" cities anywhere in N America that I know of.

In my area, there are many routes that span between cities.  Keep in mind what passes for a city around here and the short distance between them.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "cc la femme"True. Some cities do run local service "within" cities. Some farm it out.

In my area, there are many routes that span between cities.  Keep in mind what passes for a city around here and the short distance between them.

Do you have other carriers besides GH?