News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10385
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 10:06:23 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Erica Mena

What Books are you interested in reading over the Christmas Holidays & New Year?

Started by J0E, December 17, 2015, 10:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J0E

Here's a couple I'd like dig into:

1) The War of the World by Niall Ferguson - because it helps us to better understand the times we live in. Endless war, endless conflict, clash of the civilizations.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513A9MlOvvL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_.jpg">

2) The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - because it describes how the social fabric of the United States is about to unfold & how it may look in the future.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LBBJIyRIL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_.jpg">

3) Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie - because it portrays the source of fury behind Fundamentalist Islam and how we and even the Muslim World can better cope with it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bgaSsivQL._AA160_.jpg">

4) The Koran - in order to understand what may soon become the world's dominant religion & why it is causing so much unrest in the world today

http://img1.imagesbn.com/p/9780913321010_p0_v4_s260x420.JPG">

Anonymous

Quote from: "J0E"Here's a couple I'd like dig into:

1) The War of the World by Niall Ferguson - because it helps us to better understand the times we live in. Endless war, endless conflict, clash of the civilizations.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513A9MlOvvL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_.jpg">

2) The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - because it describes how the social fabric of the United States is about to unfold & how it may look in the future.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LBBJIyRIL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_.jpg">

3) Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie - because it portrays the source of fury behind Fundamentalist Islam and how we and even the Muslim World can better cope with it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bgaSsivQL._AA160_.jpg">

4) The Koran - in order to understand what may soon become the world's dominant religion & why it is causing so much unrest in the world today

http://img1.imagesbn.com/p/9780913321010_p0_v4_s260x420.JPG">

IS this a hint for your special lady to buy you JOE?

:icon_wink:

These are excellent Christmas gift suggestions and thank you.

ac_smile

Anonymous

All the books I have read recently have been informational. I have not read a book just for the enjoyment of it in some time.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"All the books I have read recently have been informational. I have not read a book just for the enjoyment of it in some time.

I mostly do my daily devotionals, but I have many inspirational books at home and on our Kobo reader written by Christian writers..

I should buy one of ghost's books for my daughter.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

ac_smile

No, they are not. They are books you would see in boxes at yard sales.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"

ac_smile

:001_rolleyes:

Renee

ac_smile

Sorry, I have to agree with Shen on that. They are all volumes of bullshit, bound in speculative hogwash, written to capitalize monetarily on the geopolitical tribulations of our current time and nothing more.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"

ac_smile

Sorry, I have to agree with Shen on that. They are all volumes of bullshit, bound in speculative hogwash, written to capitalize monetarily on the geopolitical tribulations of our current time and nothing more.

I haven't read any of them, so I can't dispute that.

Renee

ac_smile

I haven't read any of them either but I'm familiar with couple of the authors and their political and ideological stance. I have no doubt their writings are slanted toward their political and social point of view. The value these books have in a historical or real world sense is dubious at best.

I'm pretty sure Joe pulled them off of the Amazon Kindle free book list.  :laugh:

As for me...I think I'm going to read the "Tartan Dragon".   ac_biggrin
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Anonymous

ac_smile

I haven't read any of them either but I'm familiar with couple of the authors and their political and ideological stance. I have no doubt their writings are slanted toward their political and social point of view. The value these books have in a historical or real world sense is dubious at best.

I'm pretty sure Joe pulled them off of the Amazon Kindle free book list.  :laugh:

That could be Renee..

It doesn't matter because I was not thinking of buying any of them..

Nobody in my family has been asking for any of those books for Christmas.

J0E

ac_smile

...Not really, Renn.

War of the World was authored by noted British Historian Niall Ferguson in which he essentially describes the 20th century & perhaps the one we're living in, as 100+ years of continuous non-stop war. It was even made into a TV series on the BBC:

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP_X7cb-gwU

...if yer not inerested in the book, then perhaps the TV series would interest you?

Or, The Handmaid's Tale by Canadian writer Margaret Atwood, written over 25 years ago, also made on the screen is about a post-apocalyptic America which evolves into a totaliltarian state that has control its remaining women capable of bearing children for it:

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWQ4xnyLy1U

Anyways Renn, a 1st ed. of Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses is worth well over $100. Saw it at a vintage bookstore, eh? Lotta people mistaken for him died at the hands of assassians, so it's nuthin' ta sneeze at.

I'm still tryin' ta git hold of a copy of the English version of Koran as well.

anyways, share some of yer reads here, eh Renn?

We're all waitin'.

Anonymous

Quote from: "J0E"

ac_smile

...Not really, Renn.

War of the World was authored by noted British Historian Niall Ferguson in which he essentially describes the 20th century & perhaps the one we're living in, as 100+ years of continuous non-stop war. It was even made into a TV series on the BBC:

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP_X7cb-gwU

...if yer not inerested in the book, then perhaps the TV series would interest you?

Or, The Handmaid's Tale by Canadian writer Margaret Atwood, written over 25 years ago, also made on the screen is about a post-apocalyptic America which evolves into a totaliltarian state that has control its remaining women capable of bearing children for it:

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWQ4xnyLy1U

Anyways Renn, a 1st ed. of Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses is worth well over $100. Saw it at a vintage bookstore, eh? Lotta people mistaken for him died at the hands of assassians, so it's nuthin' ta sneeze at.

I'm still tryin' ta git hold of a copy of the English version of Koran as well.

anyways, share some of yer reads here, eh Renn?

We're all waitin'.
 ac_dunno

Renee

Since Joe wants to know some of my must reads, here they are but NOT limited to:

Historical:

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies

by Jared M. Diamond

The Founding of a Nation: A History of the American Revolution, 1763-1776

by Merrill Jensen

by David McCullough

Abraham Lincoln: The War Years (All four volumes)

by Carl Sandburg

Theodore Rex

by Edmund Morris

A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century

by Barbara W. Tuchman

The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

by Barbara W. Tuchman

If you read the above works you get real history, not some history fit for a dumbed-down TV program or some science fiction crap disguised as social commentary.  :laugh3:

Lighter fair

Historical / Fiction:

Gods and Generals....The Killer Angels....The Last Full Measure

by Jeff Shaara

Harold the King

by Helen Hollick

Hollow Crown

by Helen Hollick

The Classics:

Moby Dick

by Herman Melville

The Three Musketeers

by Alexandre Dumas

Jane Eyre

by Charlotte Brontë

Science Fiction / Fantasy:

The Merlin Trilogy....(The Chrystal Cave, the Hollow Hills, The last Enchantment)

by Mary Stewart

Dune (skip the follow-up books)

by Frank Herbert

The Saxon Chronicles.....The Last Kingdom, The Pale Horseman, The Lords of the North, Sword Song, The Burning Land

by Bernard Cornwell

These are books that I have already read and would read again if time allowed. As for new reads, I haven't give it much thought. Too busy with life right now to sit on my fat ass and immerse myself in a book.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"Since Joe wants to know some of my must reads, here they are but NOT limited to:

Historical:

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies

by Jared M. Diamond

The Founding of a Nation: A History of the American Revolution, 1763-1776

by Merrill Jensen

by David McCullough

Abraham Lincoln: The War Years (All four volumes)

by Carl Sandburg

Theodore Rex

by Edmund Morris

A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century

by Barbara W. Tuchman

The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

by Barbara W. Tuchman

If you read the above works you get real history, not some history fit for a dumbed-down TV program or some science fiction crap disguised as social commentary.  :laugh3:

Lighter fair

Historical / Fiction:

Gods and Generals....The Killer Angels....The Last Full Measure

by Jeff Shaara

Harold the King

by Helen Hollick

Hollow Crown

by Helen Hollick

The Classics:

Moby Dick

by Herman Melville

The Three Musketeers

by Alexandre Dumas

Jane Eyre

by Charlotte Brontë

Science Fiction / Fantasy:

The Merlin Trilogy....(The Chrystal Cave, the Hollow Hills, The last Enchantment)

by Mary Stewart

Dune (skip the follow-up books)

by Frank Herbert

The Saxon Chronicles.....The Last Kingdom, The Pale Horseman, The Lords of the North, Sword Song, The Burning Land

by Bernard Cornwell

These are books that I have already read and would read again if time allowed. As for new reads, I haven't give it much thought. Too busy with life right now to sit on my fat ass and immerse myself in a book.

Thank you Renee.

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

RW

I wish I could finish Crime and Punishment.  I fall asleep when I read now :(
Beware of Gaslighters!