Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

What's your bucket list?

Started by J0E, December 28, 2015, 02:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "Fashionista"What are the differences between the public and catholic systems now?

Class sizes.  Parental socio-economic status.  The teaching of religion.  Flexibility in curriculum.

Here, private schools are subsidized (around half of public school funding).

The Catholic system receives full funding in Ontario.

You sure about that?  Link it if you are.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"What are the differences between the public and catholic systems now?

Class sizes.  Parental socio-economic status.  The teaching of religion.  Flexibility in curriculum.

Since the 19th century, funding for the Roman Catholic separate school system was provided up to Grade 10 under the British North America (BNA) Act. In 1984 the government of Premier William Davis extended full funding to include the last three (Grades 11–13 (OAC)) years of Roman Catholic secondary schools after having rejected that proposal fifteen years earlier. The first funded academic year occurred in 1985–86, as grade 11, and one grade was added in each of the next two years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separate_school">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separate_school

Anonymous

Here we check off if we want our property taxes supporting the public  or Catholic systems, but I don't know if Alberta gives equal funding to both.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Mr Crowley"
Quote from: "Renee" I can remember on more than one occasion being called stupid or dumb and being made an example of in front of the class. Add that to being the fat unpopular kid and my life was a fucking hell. :sad:

You're stupid, you're dumb, and I've made more than one example of you in front of the forum.

And you're as popular as a dysentry sufferer in a two man submarine.

:evilthoughts2:

You're a creep. Come to think of it, I think that was my very first public assement of you way back when and guess what;......it still stands.

Only now, ALMOST everyone knows it. ac_sothere

Break means on your end too.

Just sayin'

SEE!!! She started it!!!

RW

Since the 19th century, funding for the Roman Catholic separate school system was provided up to Grade 10 under the British North America (BNA) Act. In 1984 the government of Premier William Davis extended full funding to include the last three (Grades 11–13 (OAC)) years of Roman Catholic secondary schools after having rejected that proposal fifteen years earlier. The first funded academic year occurred in 1985–86, as grade 11, and one grade was added in each of the next two years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separate_school">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separate_school

So funded based on grades (three of them).
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

So funded based on grades (three of them).

Separate schools were fully funded up to grade 10 prior to 1984. Starting in September 1985, separate school would add each additional year to the end of grade 13.

http://torontoist.com/2011/09/catholic-schools-separate-but-equal-funding/">http://torontoist.com/2011/09/catholic- ... l-funding/">http://torontoist.com/2011/09/catholic-schools-separate-but-equal-funding/

By the 20th century, the consensus was that the laws on the books covered funding for separate schools up to grade 10. Beyond that, students either entered the public system for free or coughed up tuition fees for private schools that covered the remaining secondary school grades.

Flash forward to the end of Davis's tenure. On June 12, 1984, he shocked Queen's Park by announcing that as of September 1985, starting with one grade per year, full funding would be extended to separate secondary schools. Indicating that he hoped the move would heal "a long and heartfelt controversy," Davis received a standing ovation from all parties in the legislature. Families would no longer have to pay up to $1,100 a year in tuition to send their kids to high schools that would no longer be private, while officials in cities like Toronto looked forward to easing their overcrowded conditions with new facilities. Some concessions were forced onto separate school boards: they would have to accept any students and, over the next 10 years, had to agree to hire any non-Catholic teachers laid off from the public system due to shifting enrolments.

http://torontoist.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/20110916globeheadline.jpg">

RW

I'm clearly too brain dead to grok this stuff right now.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I'm clearly too brain dead to grok this stuff right now.

One of the ladies I work with has her children in the Catholic system, I should ask her if she pays any fees without looking like I'm prying.

ac_umm

RW

I know my mom paid fees when I went. It was over $400 a month for my sister and I and that was in the 80s.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I know my mom paid fees when I went. It was over $400 a month for my sister and I and that was in the 80s.

If there are fees in Alberta, I doubt they would be that high because I can't see my co worker being able to afford it..

Maybe, I won't ask her if any fees are involved..

I am not thinking of taking my children out of their private school and putting them in a publicly funded one ever.

deadskinmask

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "RW"I know my mom paid fees when I went. It was over $400 a month for my sister and I and that was in the 80s.

If there are fees in Alberta, I doubt they would be that high because I can't see my co worker being able to afford it..

I am not thinking of taking my children out of their private school and putting them in a publicly funded one ever.

if you can afford private school, its definitely the way to go....

RW

Do you pay extra for your kids to go to private school?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Do you pay extra for your kids to go to private school?

Oh yes, it's one of our biggest expenses.

Anonymous

Quote from: "deadskinmask"

if you can afford private school, its definitely the way to go....

My husband and I agree deadskinmask, which is why we invest so much of our income into private education.

deadskinmask

i guess i kind of owe you an apology, RW.... i was gonna say that was a stupid question.... but then i remembered that shes in canada and they have all kinds of free shit over there.... lol....