Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:52:08 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

A

tough times for newspapers: Postmedia cuts 90 jobs

Started by Anonymous, January 20, 2016, 09:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/postmedia-job-cuts-1.3410497">http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/postmed ... -1.3410497">http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/postmedia-job-cuts-1.3410497

Postmedia cuts 90 jobs, merges newsrooms in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa

Newspaper chain Postmedia today announced sweeping changes to its operations, cutting 90 jobs across the country and merging newsrooms from multiple newspapers into one each in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa.

"We will continue to operate separate brands in each of these markets," Postmedia CEO and president Paul Godfrey said in a memo to staff Tuesday afternoon. "What is changing is how we produce these products."

The chain says two papers in those markets — the Sun and Province in Vancouver, the Herald and Sun in Calgary, the Journal and Sun in Edmonton, and the Citizen and Sun in Ottawa — will share newsroom resources, but continue to operate.

"Each city will have one newsroom," Godfrey said, and the two papers will be run by one editorial team.

At least 90 editorial jobs are being cut as a result of the process.

They partially break down as follows:

■35 in Edmonton.

■25 in Calgary.

■12 in Ottawa.

■5 at the National Post.

"We will also be introducing a buyout program in the Vancouver and Ottawa newsrooms as part of this one newsroom initiative," the memo said.

The chain's two Toronto-based newspapers — the Toronto Sun and National Post — will remain separate.

But the chain is centralizing its entire sports coverage through one desk based in Toronto, which will lead to some sports-related layoffs at the Toronto-based National Post.

Many of those affected took to Twitter to confirm they had lost their  jobs.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/postmedia-job-cuts-1.3410497">http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/postmed ... -1.3410497">http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/postmedia-job-cuts-1.3410497

Postmedia cuts 90 jobs, merges newsrooms in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa

Newspaper chain Postmedia today announced sweeping changes to its operations, cutting 90 jobs across the country and merging newsrooms from multiple newspapers into one each in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa.

"We will continue to operate separate brands in each of these markets," Postmedia CEO and president Paul Godfrey said in a memo to staff Tuesday afternoon. "What is changing is how we produce these products."

The chain says two papers in those markets — the Sun and Province in Vancouver, the Herald and Sun in Calgary, the Journal and Sun in Edmonton, and the Citizen and Sun in Ottawa — will share newsroom resources, but continue to operate.

"Each city will have one newsroom," Godfrey said, and the two papers will be run by one editorial team.

■35 in Edmonton.

■25 in Calgary.

■12 in Ottawa.

■5 at the National Post.

"We will also be introducing a buyout program in the Vancouver and Ottawa newsrooms as part of this one newsroom initiative," the memo said.

The chain's two Toronto-based newspapers — the Toronto Sun and National Post — will remain separate.

But the chain is centralizing its entire sports coverage through one desk based in Toronto, which will lead to some sports-related layoffs at the Toronto-based National Post.

It is tough for traditional newspapers getting advertising in the digital age. They have a hard time getting advertising and few people are willing to pay for online subscriptions.

Annie

It' sad people are being layed off but seriously, how many newspapers for each one area do we need? Vancouver and surrounding area has The Tri City News, The Metro, 24 Hours, The Province, The Vancouver Sun. All mostly covering all the same stories.  Classifieds a bit different for each but you can get it all online anytime without a ton of paper waste.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "GrAnnie"It' sad people are being layed off but seriously, how many newspapers for each one area do we need? Vancouver and surrounding area has The Tri City News, The Metro, 24 Hours, The Province, The Vancouver Sun. All mostly covering all the same stories.  Classifieds a bit different for each but you can get it all online anytime without a ton of paper waste.

I don't consider Tri City News or The Metro real city newspapers. Supplemental free local stuff at doctor's offices.

Annie

Those are just local mainly but my point is why have several that cover the same news stories. The Sun and Province are the same to me. The only difference is that the Sun's pages are huuuge.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "GrAnnie"Those are just local mainly but my point is why have several that cover the same news stories. The Sun and Province are the same to me. The only difference is that the Sun's pages are huuuge.

Metro News has localized editions in quite a few Canadian cities. Most big cities had two different newspapers to give different editorial positions. But, in the digital age they are having trouble competing with free news. The same thing is happening to a lot of big city newspapers South of the border. A few are thriving, so it is possible to adapt. I hope they can make it. Give me a city newspaper any day over the likes of Huffington Post.

J0E

Fash, if they wanna save some big money, postmedia oughta consider closing down the Vancouver Sun and the Province for good.

Among the papers you've mentioned, they are probably the worst. So I say, close 'em down!

Poor layout, crappy writing, no substance, yellow journalism, a paper which caters to corrupt money laundering via the Real Estate Industry in Vancouver.

They're steadily losing readership, hardly anyone buys them anymore and they're frequently given out for free on the street.

Let the Globe and Mail, Toronto Star or the National Post print a 'Vancouver Edition', and give us a real newspaper that we deserve in this town!

Quote from: "Fashionista"http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/postmedia-job-cuts-1.3410497">http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/postmed ... -1.3410497">http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/postmedia-job-cuts-1.3410497

■35 in Edmonton.

■25 in Calgary.

■12 in Ottawa.

■5 at the National Post.

Anonymous

It's not only in Canada, it's happening everywhere. Newspapers need to change their business model to compete in the digital age.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Herman"It's not only in Canada, it's happening everywhere. Newspapers need to change their business model to compete in the digital age.

True.

Same is happening here. Not only printed media, but broadcast media as well.

Printed media is a doomed beast. Much of their stuff is intended not to inform, but to sell and make a profit. In other words, they want you to pay for information that is not theirs to distribute. Their main profit centre is bad news, so they will forcefeed the community with crap, doomsday warnings, overblown crises and some academics crusade to ban eau de cologne, because everyone that uses it dies.

People will inform themselves via the web.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"
Quote from: "Herman"It's not only in Canada, it's happening everywhere. Newspapers need to change their business model to compete in the digital age.

True.

Same is happening here. Not only printed media, but broadcast media as well.

Printed media is a doomed beast. Much of their stuff is intended not to inform, but to sell and make a profit. In other words, they want you to pay for information that is not theirs to distribute. Their main profit centre is bad news, so they will forcefeed the community with crap, doomsday warnings, overblown crises and some academics crusade to ban eau de cologne, because everyone that uses it dies.

People will inform themselves via the web.

I like local news, I like local up to date weather forecasts and I love local traffic reports to see if Crowchild Trail is crawling along and why.

J0E

Quote from: "Fashionista"People will inform themselves via the web.

I like local news, I like local up to date weather forecasts and I love local traffic reports to see if Crowchild Trail is crawling along and why.

There's a local newspaper where I live which aint bad.

The North Shore News. Used to be called the North Shore Shopper.

It's free locally.

Surprisingly, it's not bad. Mostly local stories, but they frequently publish other news items/opinions about national or international events which has some relevance even if you don't live in Vancouver. eg:

http://www.nsnews.com/opinion/editorial/editorial-dirty-deals-1.2152871">http://www.nsnews.com/opinion/editorial ... -1.2152871">http://www.nsnews.com/opinion/editorial/editorial-dirty-deals-1.2152871

What's happened with with all these layoffs, is that some decent talent is going elsewhere, and because there are fewer jobs for them in the major dailies, their work is starting to pop up in places like the North Shore News. So what used to be primarily an advertising rag, actually has some credible content.

Anonymous

Some of my girlfriends get their news through social media..

I like local radio and tv news, especially traffic and construction reports.

Annie

I listen to several different radio stations, read news online and sometimes in the papers. There's so many news outlets I'm not surprised at many of them consolidating.

Anonymous

Quote from: "GrAnnie"I listen to several different radio stations, read news online and sometimes in the papers. There's so many news outlets I'm not surprised at many of them consolidating.

It was inevitable. Like the post office, they were designed for a different time.

Annie

Yep postal workers were when there weren't millions more houses and condos to deliver to.  I'm thankful though that I still get door to door delivery.  I'd hate having to wonder if my mail box would be smashed open for that credit card info.