Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A

Trudeau Must Show Leadership and Reject anti Pipeline Politics

Started by Anonymous, January 22, 2016, 01:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Shen Li"You don't get my point at all. Lack of market access is putting our economy at a competitive disadvantage. There has never been a better time to build a pipeline and get get international access. Let's see True Dope's infrastructure spending compete with Transmountain or Energy East.

Saudi Arabia and Russia have the most access to international markets by far, yet they're hurting economically too. They're in more trouble than we are!

It's a fact that the countries exporting the most are hurting the most.

Romero you are missing the entire point. We are paying international prices for imported shit from countries in Central Asia, North Africa and Nigeria while at the same time our crude faces the biggest discounts we ever have faced. And that includes Saskatchewan's crude too. Instead of a tanker moratorium on the North West Coast how about a tanker ban on incoming crude? Let's put Canadians interests first for a change.

That's because Homoero has his ass up Islamofascists ass. What is good for Canada, not good for intolerant misogynistic homophobes. When our interests conflict with those animals, count on Romero to throw us under the bus just like the Montreal area mayors. Get it now?

kiebers

Just need to impose dumping duties or a tariff on imported oil.

Wonder what the profit picture looked like for the members of Opec prior to the prices falling, compared to what the profit picture looks like now with increased production at a much much lower price? I can imagine they made a much higher profit at lower production.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"
QuoteSaudis unveil radical austerity program

Saudi Arabia unveiled spending cuts in its 2016 budget, subsidy reforms and a call for privatizations to rein in a yawning deficit caused by the prolonged period of low oil prices.

The Gulf kingdom has kept oil production at high levels in an attempt to force out higher-cost producers, such as shale, and retain its market share. But this year's deficit ballooned to $97.9 billion, or 15 per cent of gross domestic product, as oil revenues fell 23 per cent.

Seeking to ward off future fiscal crises, the ministry of finance confirmed wide-ranging economic reforms, including plans to "privatize a range of sectors and economic activities".

Riyadh would revise energy, water and electricity prices "gradually over the next five years" to optimize efficiency while minimizing "negative effects on low and mid-income citizens and the competitiveness of the business sector," it added.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/29/saudis-unveil-radical-austerity-programme.html">//http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/29/saudis-unveil-radical-austerity-programme.html

If only Saudi Arabia had access to international markets, eh?

That's not a good analogy for not building infrastructure in Canada. I don't how Saudi Arabia allocates spending, but I doubt it's very transparent. What I do know is that most types of crude in Canada are discounted about $10 a barrel due to our lack of market diversification. Every single dollar lost represents a substantial loss to the Canadian economy. Any argument against Energy East cannot be made on economic grounds.

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"Just need to impose dumping duties or a tariff on imported oil.

Wonder what the profit picture looked like for the members of Opec prior to the prices falling, compared to what the profit picture looks like now with increased production at a much much lower price? I can imagine they made a much higher profit at lower production.

You are speaking my language kiebers. We have some of the biggest proven reserves of crude in the world, but we import expensive foreign shit while we sell our own supplies at super discounted rates. I wish Canada and the states would get together and say no to imports of crude. Make a unified crude market and screw those countries that I am trying to forget I was ever there.

Romero

Quote from: "Herman"Instead of a tanker moratorium on the North West Coast how about a tanker ban on incoming crude? Let's put Canadians interests first for a change.

I agree!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "kiebers"Just need to impose dumping duties or a tariff on imported oil.

You are speaking my language kiebers. We have some of the biggest proven reserves of crude in the world, but we import expensive foreign shit while we sell our own supplies at super discounted rates. I wish Canada and the states would get together and say no to imports of crude. Make a unified crude market and screw those countries that I am trying to forget I was ever there.

That sounds all good and everything, but the reality is there are so many interests besides Homoero that do not want Canadian crude receiving fair prices on the open market.

Anonymous

What Romero does not get is that a pipeline already has customers before it is built. It's not like China building ghost cities.  China and Japan have both invested in our resource sector. They know Canada would be a reliable exporter if we only had the infrastructure to do the job.

Anonymous

Let's build the extension of Energy East that would run through Quebec to New Brunswick and the slaeazebag mayors of Montreal we put raw sewage in the pipeline. Mean while our airhead PM says  "Canadians know that what it takes to grow and prosper isn't just what's under our feet, it's what's between our ears."

Doesn't our PM know Canada's resource industries are a source of innovation and high tech jobs, much like Silicon Valley in the U.S., which he praised in his speech?

Maybe he needs to read up on Canada.

QuoteDenis Coderre. What a maroon, to quote Bugs Bunny.

Yes, Montreal's Mayor Denis Coderre says the Energy East project is bad.

Alberta's official opposition Brian Jean says Coderre is playing politics and not listening to the science about pipelines, the safest way to transport oil.

Jean points out Quebec gets billions upon billions from equalization and a lot comes from the West and the oilpatch.

It is a point also made by Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall and it happens to be true.

Jean also says the sewage-dumping Coderre is being hypocritical.

And what does Coderre do?

He acts like an ass, uncorking the endlessly repeated punch line that's just not funny anymore.

Yes, Coderre wants to take a moment to laugh at "a guy like Brian Jean" for talking about science.

"These are probably the same people who think the Flintstones is a documentary."

It is a most curious rebuttal.

And who are these people? Supporters of Wildrose? Supporters of Energy East? Albertans? Westerners? Conservatives? Me and you?

Who are these people? Does anyone in the Montreal press bother to ask Coderre?

I first heard the Flintstones line when Liberal scrapper Warren Kinsella took aim at Canadian Alliance leader's Stockwell Day's creationist beliefs about 15 years ago.

"I just want to remind Mr. Day that the Flintstones was not a documentary."

OK, at least I know where that one was going.

Then again, last year, Coderre said the former Conservative government "think the Flintstones was a documentary" because they didn't want the mayor dumping sewage.

Jean, who was in the House of Commons across the aisle from the Liberal Coderre, says the mayor was always about "personal attacks and gutter politics."

"I've seen Coderre float up and down through the sewers. I'm not going to float with him in any gutter. Ever."

The Wildrose leader does uncork a line but it makes sense.

"Perhaps if Energy East carried raw sewage he could get behind it," says Jean.

Still, Jean insists he doesn't want Coderre's sliming to become a debate on national unity.

"We need to take the politics out of pipelines," he says, talking about political opposition on Energy East.

"It's not about science, it's about political extortion. And political extortion is not Canadian."

Jean says the pipelines should be "a nation-building exercise just like the railroad."

Good luck with that.

On Friday, Premier Notley visits Toronto and Ontario's Premier Kathleen Wynne.

Wynne doesn't insult anybody but Alberta still hasn't passed Go on Energy East.

The Ontario premier talks about pipelines and jobs and how Alberta's climate change plan "makes the national conversation about emission targets and pipelines that much easier."

But still Ontario doesn't back Energy East. Not yet.

Ontario government officials refer your scribbler to the province's six principles on pipelines.

They also send your scribe to an Ontario Energy Board report commissioned by the province and released this past summer.

It says "there is an imbalance between the economic and the environmental risks of the project and the expected benefits for Ontarians.

"The economic benefits for the province are likely to be modest.

"The big beneficiaries for pipelines are those jurisdictions that put the product into the pipeline and those that take it out.

"There are a number of risks we are concerned about."

Doesn't sound like champagne-popping prose.

On Friday, Wynne goes after those who want to hear something specific and not the usual political speak.

"We have to work together and if that's painful in terms of the amount of time it takes then that's too bad because that's actually the time that it takes."

Meanwhile, Jean says he kind of liked the Flintstones as a kid.

"We all know the Flintstones is just a little cartoon that's not real," he says.

"Let's concentrate on what is real — the need to build a pipeline."

And anyone in the politically correct going after goofy Coderre? Don't wait up.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/01/23/montreal-mayor-denis-coderre-slimes-people-like-wildrose-leader-brian-jean-as-pipeline-debate-heats-up">http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/01/23/mo ... e-heats-up">http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/01/23/montreal-mayor-denis-coderre-slimes-people-like-wildrose-leader-brian-jean-as-pipeline-debate-heats-up

Anonymous

An audit says the NEB is not doing enough to follow up on project recommendations. In social media I have mo doubt this will be exploited as saying pipelines can't be built safely because federal departments cannot do their jobs. It's very deceiving because like railways the actual safety compliance is carried out by the carriers themselves. I see this report as an excuse to hire more people at the NEB, which I'm ok with as long as we can get critical infrastructure in the ground.
QuoteA federal audit released Tuesday says the National Energy Board (NEB) needs to do more follow-up on pipeline projects that it is monitoring.

For its part, the NEB said it had identified the "same areas for improvement" and has an action plan to address all of its findings by the end of 2016.

"The NEB absolutely enforces and monitors all companies' compliance with pipeline approval conditions and has complete confidence that compliance with pipeline approval conditions is appropriately and comprehensively evaluated by NEB staff and Board members," Peter Watson, NEB chair and CEO said in a statement. "The audit makes recommendations regarding the documentation of this work and the NEB took immediate action after speaking to the CESD [Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development] last year to begin rectifying this issue."

READ MORE: NEB monitoring of pipeline safety still inadequate

Michal Moore, professor of energy economics at the University of Calgary School of Public Policy, says the report does two important things.

"The first one is that it highlights the absolute critical need we have for safe and well-performing infrastructure across the entire nation," Moore said. "The second is the issue of whether or not we can adequately oversee and make sure the standards that we set for this infrastructure can be met. And it's pretty clear that if we don't put the money into it and if we don't invest and constantly upkeep the infrastructure and make sure that it's overseen, we'll have errors and we'll have spills and the public safety will be compromised."

Moore believes that one of the biggest challenges is that rules need to be clearly defined and observed, but also enforced with the proper risk of punishment.

He also feels that agencies like the NEB need to be properly staffed. He points to the fact that hiring and retention are a challenge to every public agency, including the NEB.

Moore suggested action should be on behalf of all of Canada, and "not eight of 10 provinces or not a system of cities against the federal government."

"This is going to have to solved by exerting  federal authority on those projects or those issues that are clearly benefiting Canada as a whole and should not be subject to what is known as the tyranny of the minority."

Effects of social media on public policy

The report comes in the wake of heated debate over the proposed Energy East pipeline, which has largely been fought in the forum of public opinion.

Moore said these discussions need to move away from social media and move into forums that offer the opportunity for reasonable consideration with decisions based on expertise.

"Trying a case or trying as issue in social media where one person's opinion instantly goes viral and becomes the opinion of (many) is not very useful as far as good public policy."

Moore said this is reflective of a bigger issue.

"We've come to a crisis point: the issue of national infrastructure safety approval  or pipeline approval  is colliding against a distrust or a mistrust of government authority that we have to solve before we can move ahead."

What's next?

Moore is optimistic that the new chairman of the NEB will be responsive to the audit and expects that they will work with the new government to ensure they have the proper tools, including staffing, to ensure that the recommendations of the audit can be met.

Chris Bloomer, Canadian Energy Pipeline Association (CEPA) agrees with Moore that there needs to be more trust and confidence of the whole process around the industry.

CEPA's membership includes 98 per cent of all the pipelines' capacity in Canada, and Bloomer pointed out that their goals align with public opinion—and with the NEB's—when it comes to safety standards and expectations.

"Our goal is to have zero incidents on our mainline pipelines with our membership – which we achieved last year."

Bloomer said the report is not about the industry's performance, that in fact the pipeline is compliant. The report is more about the NEB closing off files, tracking things and other matters. His conclusion is that it's not that the NEB is not doing those things, but that they are not doing them as efficiently as possible.

Government reaction

Catherine McKenna, Minister of Environment and Climate Change, thanked the federal Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development for her work on the report in a Tuesday statement.

She said the government will ensure the recommendations are addressed.

"Our economy and the environment go hand in hand," McKenna said. "This report is an objective and independent analysis of the efforts that the Government has made to protect the environment and outlines the importance of fostering sustainable development going forward."

Reaction from the Opposition

Approval conditions for federally regulated oil and gas pipelines can cover a wide range of topics. Companies often agree to protect critical animal and plant habitats, provide economic opportunities for Aboriginal groups, and maintain safety and engineering standards for the pipeline itself before they get the go-ahead from the NEB.

It is the NEB's job to ensure that companies are sticking to these conditions as they build and operate a pipeline. In about half of the cases the audit examined, that wasn't happening.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2479129/pipeline-audit-reflects-crisis-point-alberta-policy-expert/">http://globalnews.ca/news/2479129/pipel ... cy-expert/">http://globalnews.ca/news/2479129/pipeline-audit-reflects-crisis-point-alberta-policy-expert/

Anonymous

If Energy East gets put in the ground in the next four years Trudeau will look like a contemporary John A. MacDonald. The twinning of Trans Mountain would be nice too.

Anonymous

Trudeau is neither a supporter nor an opponent of our number one export and the tens of thousands of mortgage paying jobs that come with it. One can say what they want about the previous government, but they were supporters of ALL heavy industry in Canada, which is what a federal government should be doing. Gawd knows Chretien was.
QuoteThe headlines from the World Economic Forum in Switzerland last week made Prime Minister Justin Trudeau seem like a burly defender of oil development: "Trudeau tells off Leonard DiCaprio," "Trudeau urges DiCaprio to tone down criticism of Canadian oilsands."

The Hollywood actor and environmental extremist – who last year mistook an Alberta chinook for a "terrifying" global-warming disaster – had told the forum earlier in the day "enough is enough." We must rapidly end our use of fossil fuel (and convert, one presumes, to celebrity hot air).

Later, at a private dinner thrown by China's wealthiest man, Jack Ma of the Alibaba Group, Trudeau is alleged to have confronted the star of Titanic and The Revenant and backed DiCaprio off.

All the glowing headlines were based on reports from "a senior Liberal official," so I suspect it's closer to the truth that Prime Minister Selfie asked DiCaprio if the star would mind the two of them taking a pic together on Trudeau's smartphone.

But even if the PM did get gruff with Leo, it was only to point out that the new Liberal government in Ottawa and NDP government in Alberta were deeply committed to the environment, too. Couldn't fellow "greenie" DiCaprio, please, wait to see how tough Trudeau and Premier Rachel Notley were prepared to get with the oil companies before attacking our oilsands?

Frankly, though, how Trudeau stands up to Leonardo DiCaprio is of less interest compared to how stands up to Denis Coderre and other politicians like the Montreal mayor. Last week, Coderre announced he would oppose the Energy East pipeline because it was too environmentally risky for his city.

Just where does the Trudeau government stand on the 4,600-kilometre pipeline, or on pipelines in general?

It's very difficult to tell.

On Friday, Trudeau's parliamentary secretary, Toronto MP Adam Vaughan, gave an interview to CBC. Coming the day after Coderre's contemptuous dismissal of Energy East, Vaughan's answers were anything but reassuring.

He was asked over and over what the federal government's position was on the pipeline. That shouldn't be hard. Trudeau himself has said several times he is in favour.

Trudeau's support comes with major conditions. But the new PM has said time and again he supports the all-Canadian line that would take oil from Alberta and Saskatchewan to refineries and a port in New Brunswick.

But Vaughan couldn't give the CBC even a qualified "yes."

The Harper government had given the regulatory process a bad name, Vaughan bobbed. As a result "people" have lost faith in the review process, he weaved. The new Liberal government promises to come up with an environmental assessment Canadians can be proud of, Vaughan ducked. Can't say what will happen until then, he danced.

What's doubly troubling about the downtown Toronto MP being the government's spokesman on pipelines is that two years ago when he was running in a by-election for his seat, Vaughan was strongly against all pipelines.

The former Toronto city councillor and former CBC reporter even ducked out on an all-candidates forum rather than explain how his anti-oil views clashed with his national leader's.

During the by-election, Vaughan wondered how the NDP (his main rivals) could be against Keystone but not Energy East (as he was), since "Energy East is projected to increase oilsands development 30% more than the Keystone XL pipeline."

Vaughan was against them both and now he's Trudeau's right-hand on the pipeline file.

After meeting with Coderre on Tuesday, Trudeau said "my responsibility as prime minister is make sure that on national projects we're behaving in a way that both contributes to the economy, to a secure environment (and) to bringing people together..."

Oh, that clears things up. Thanks.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/26/trudeaus-pipeline-policy-far-from-clear">http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/26/tr ... from-clear">http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/26/trudeaus-pipeline-policy-far-from-clear

Anonymous

Even Alberta's two big city leftist mayors are stating the obvious to people like the mayors of Montreal, Burnaby and Christy Clark. Politics have no place in critical infrastructure projects.
QuoteSpeaking to reporters at the legislature after he and Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi met with the NDP cabinet, Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson said local politicians have to think about what's best for the country.

"Just imagine if we were trying to build a railroad 100 years ago and mayors were saying no. What kind of country would we have?" said Iveson.

"It's incumbent on all of us to try to work toward yes. Bring the concerns forward, have them addressed duly through the regulatory process. But politicizing this is not good for the country."

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politics/calgary-and-edmonton-mayors-decry-politicizing-of-pipeline-debate">http://calgaryherald.com/news/politics/ ... ine-debate">http://calgaryherald.com/news/politics/calgary-and-edmonton-mayors-decry-politicizing-of-pipeline-debate

Anonymous

The perfect storm may be upon us.

A volatile mix of low oil prices, a low loonie and an enviro-movement that appears to be getting more air time than those who champion the energy industry.

Whether it's the predictable anti-industry lobby groups or opportunistic politicians beyond Alberta's borders, their chorus is growing louder.

Those who defend the economic engine of our nation – yes, the oilpatch still retains that title – appear to be dismissed far more easily than those who oppose them.

Never mind that those standing up for oil come from a variety of political stripes and backgrounds. From Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall to Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi to Wildrose Opposition Leader Brian Jean.

Even the oft-reluctant Alberta NDP is growing a spine against those who criticize our energy industry.

So, while it's trendy to preach of a world without oil and coal and all things remotely harmful, a quick reality check proves the notion foolish.

A responsible and prosperous energy sector benefits everyone.

It's farcical that Montreal's mayor can gang up with other like-minded Quebec politicians to block a pipeline to get Alberta's oil to the East coast.

But, at the moment, it's trendy to wrap oneself in the cloak of enviro-protector and ignore the economic reality facing Alberta and Canada as a whole.

When it comes to Canada's energy industry, environmental prudence is paramount.

But dismissing any and all pipelines will not only hurt Alberta, but all of Canada.

We can paint it however we choose, but Canada is - and likely always will be - a resource economy dependent on the ability to export.

Putting roadblocks around that for regional political gain does a disservice to all Canadians.

The future of pipelines appears more questionable each headline.

But one thing is for certain.

The phone booth must be overflowing with self-serving, self-professed enviro-superheroes who have no issue castigating Alberta for their own political gain.

Anonymous

The economic engine of Canada is under attack from big money NGO's and opportunistic politicians. We handed a life preserver to the auto sector when it was in trouble, but we throw a boulder to the energy sector.
QuoteThe perfect storm may be upon us.

A volatile mix of low oil prices, a low loonie and an enviro-movement that appears to be getting more air time than those who champion the energy industry.

Whether it's the predictable anti-industry lobby groups or opportunistic politicians beyond Alberta's borders, their chorus is growing louder.

Those who defend the economic engine of our nation – yes, the oilpatch still retains that title – appear to be dismissed far more easily than those who oppose them.

Never mind that those standing up for oil come from a variety of political stripes and backgrounds. From Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall to Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi to Wildrose Opposition Leader Brian Jean.

Even the oft-reluctant Alberta NDP is growing a spine against those who criticize our energy industry.

So, while it's trendy to preach of a world without oil and coal and all things remotely harmful, a quick reality check proves the notion foolish.

A responsible and prosperous energy sector benefits everyone.

It's farcical that Montreal's mayor can gang up with other like-minded Quebec politicians to block a pipeline to get Alberta's oil to the East coast.

But, at the moment, it's trendy to wrap oneself in the cloak of enviro-protector and ignore the economic reality facing Alberta and Canada as a whole.

When it comes to Canada's energy industry, environmental prudence is paramount.

But dismissing any and all pipelines will not only hurt Alberta, but all of Canada.

We can paint it however we choose, but Canada is - and likely always will be - a resource economy dependent on the ability to export.

Putting roadblocks around that for regional political gain does a disservice to all Canadians.

The future of pipelines appears more questionable each headline.

But one thing is for certain.

The phone booth must be overflowing with self-serving, self-professed enviro-superheroes who have no issue castigating Alberta for their own political gain.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/01/22/rachel-notley-and-her-know-it-all-gang-dont-foster-long-term-relationships">http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/01/22/ra ... ationships">http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/01/22/rachel-notley-and-her-know-it-all-gang-dont-foster-long-term-relationships

Anonymous

The federal government announced new rules regarding pipeline approval. It will delay final decisions. I don't have any other details yet. But, I will predict that we still won't have access to tidewater for our number one export before the next election. I sure hope I am wrong.