Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Draft Forum Rules

Started by RW, February 05, 2016, 07:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renee

Quote from: "Keeper"I thought and correct me if I'm wrong.  The rules are there for

1. To protect and moderate the people on the forum

2. To protect the forum owners.

For example, How would a new user know that swearing or racial slurs are not allowed if they are not listed in the forum rules.

Just sayin

Exactly, they are there so the administration can point to the rules when some douche acts out...gets slapped for their poor behavior and then has the unmitigated gall to complain that their posting rights (whatever they are :laugh3: ) are being violated.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Keeper"I thought and correct me if I'm wrong.  The rules are there for

For example, How would a new user know that swearing or racial slurs are not allowed if they are not listed in the forum rules.

Just sayin

Exactly, they are there so the administration can point to the rules when some douche acts out...gets slapped for their poor behavior and then has the unmitigated gall to complain that their posting rights (whatever they are :laugh3: ) are being violated.

Mel Gibson?

keeper

Quote from: "Herman"

Just sayin

Mel Gibson?

Yes but fuck heads in general

RW

Just sayin

Exactly.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

Just sayin

Newsflash.

Nobody has posting "rights". People post at the whim of the forum owner.

Thus no "rights" can be violated. If the poster is not acceptable to the code of conduct required, the owner simply removes the posting privileges.

Thus, rules are redundant and unnecessary, if not the sign of anal retention.

The genesis of forum mayhem, Consumption Junction, only had one rule. What the mod says, goes.

RW

Did your Heat forum not have rules?

Do you think TBC compares to CJ in any fundamental way?

Damn near every forum has rules/guidelines.  Are we THAT special as to not need them?

I do not have retention issues.  Thank you for your concern.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

I didn't say you did. You're just mimicking the anal retentive techniques of a thousand other forums.

In my view, "forum rules" are more about the proprietor trying to demonstrate how managerial they are than to serve any suitable purpose.

RW

It's just something to point to when some asshole can't behave himself despite being a fucking grown up.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Do the rest of you feel we should have a rule set or just have nothing?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

We have what...eight or ten committed members, and a few occassionals?

We need rules to tell us how to interact? Seriously?

The ONLY issue that causes grief is the problems created by Mel and Odinson, who wilfully and maliciously do all they can to disrupt the forum.

You do not need rules to kick them out, and keep them out.

ALL we need is the owners/moderators to work together towards a common understanding of forum etiquette, and then rely on the judgment of those people to use sense and discretion in managing posts, posters and threads.

If moderators require a set of legislative tomes which actually do NOTHING to stop the pests from gathering (in fact give them a shield to hide behind..."I ain't broke no rules") then there is something wrong. I expect that mature, reasonable and sensible adults have the capacity to exercise reasonable judgment...and so far, I have no reason to believe they generally cannot.

There are easily implementable adjustments that can be made to prevent these nuisances from constantly registering and creating childish mayem, viz;

24 cool off period for registration.

Members cannot start a thread until they have either been approved by the mods, or reach a certain number of posts, or both.

Where a new registration is received, ENQUIRE as to where the new member is from, how they found us, and what they are looking for in a forum.

There are others.

Throwing up a set of commandments because you don't have the plums to BAN those fucktards is ludicrous.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"We have what...eight or ten committed members, and a few occassionals?

We need rules to tell us how to interact? Seriously?

The ONLY issue that causes grief is the problems created by Mel and Odinson, who wilfully and maliciously do all they can to disrupt the forum.

You do not need rules to kick them out, and keep them out.

ALL we need is the owners/moderators to work together towards a common understanding of forum etiquette, and then rely on the judgment of those people to use sense and discretion in managing posts, posters and threads.

If moderators require a set of legislative tomes which actually do NOTHING to stop the pests from gathering (in fact give them a shield to hide behind..."I ain't broke no rules") then there is something wrong. I expect that mature, reasonable and sensible adults have the capacity to exercise reasonable judgment...and so far, I have no reason to believe they generally cannot.

There are easily implementable adjustments that can be made to prevent these nuisances from constantly registering and creating childish mayem, viz;

24 cool off period for registration.

Members cannot start a thread until they have either been approved by the mods, or reach a certain number of posts, or both.

Where a new registration is received, ENQUIRE as to where the new member is from, how they found us, and what they are looking for in a forum.

There are others.

Throwing up a set of commandments because you don't have the plums to BAN those fucktards is ludicrous.

One of the two you mentioned was given a one week time out.

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"Why?

The usual reasons.

RW

Because she used her all mighty judgement even without the implementation of rules.  That's what you want isn't it?  Moderators using their own sense to mod this place without guidelines or restrictions?  

I guess that would make the answer "because she did".  End of discussion, n'est-ce pas?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

Then I would suggest that the mod/admin who made that decision did not act in the best interest of the forum.

No rules will change that mindset.