The best topic

Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Justice Scalia leaves opening

Started by RW, February 15, 2016, 03:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote"Renee"

I'm just curious why you find the US political process so fascinating. I'm still not sure why issues taking place in the US that have little or no impact on you or anyone else outside the US should be of interest.

I really don't get the interest in this either. Nominate in an election year, don't nominate, who fucking cares. Certainly shouldn't be anyone who is  not a US passport holder. When you look at the shit that is happening in other Western countries, the US is a sea of stability.  Sweden is being overrun by rapist jihadis and whether Obama nominates or not gets more attention? WTF??

Exactly my point but unfortunately some people around here are so fixated on everything the US does that important global issues just have to take a back seat.

But hey, because of this media hyped, political disagreement over when a Supreme Court nomination should put forth, it might be an indication that the US can't govern itself and the sky might fall. :oeudC:

I wonder how the world survived while we wrestled with this same issue on and off throughout or history?  :laugh3: It must have been tough on you guys out there and please accept my heartfelt apologies.  :laugh3:

But I'm not going to begrudge these people their little trips to lala land. If creating an mental image of a train wreck and then labeling as the United States of America feeds their wolf, they are more than welcome to do so. They just need to remember not to get so uppity when they get questioned about the reasoning behind their little obsession.

I am more concerned if the pond near my condo is full of frogs again this year.

Renee

Quote from: "RW"You're not going to bully me out of making comments about American legal/political issues so save the bleating.

Now I'm bullying you? Before I was crying.....strange combination.

For the record....I'm not trying to stop you from doing anything. Basically I was just curious as to the motivation behind your interest. Still am....probably always will be...pardon me. ac_unsure
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Romero

QuoteThe Worst Congress Money Can Buy

The Republican Senate's refusal even to consider President Obama's replacement for Antonin Scalia on the Supreme Court might finally bring into focus the level of their partisan nihilism. The congressional "dysfunction" trope imposes a false equivalency on the parties and thereby enables Republican obstructionism. But the Senate's blatant action not to allow the president to fill a vacancy on the high court makes their extremism more difficult to gloss over.

The Republican-controlled Congress is not "dysfunctional." It would "function" perfectly well if there were an occupant in the White House who gave the Republicans everything they wanted. With divided government they act like petulant children. Voices in the press decrying "dysfunction" render invisible the corporate oligarchy that has bought off the institution.

Whether attacking Planned Parenthood and women's reproductive rights, trying to privatize everything from the Veterans Administration to the U.S. Postal Service, handing over Social Security to Wall Street, selling off federal lands, obstructing everything President Obama does, or the million other hidden giveaways to banks, corporations, and the National Rifle Association -- all these actions drive home the point that we have the worst Congress money can buy.

There's no limit to the money Washington Republicans are willing to spend on crony capitalism, the military industrial complex, or in subsidies for oil, pharmaceutical, and agribusiness corporations. But when it comes to rebuilding the nation's bridges, roads, and water systems, or programs that benefit working people like paid leave, raising the minimum wage, or subsidized child care, then they start screaming about taxes, "big government," and budget deficits.

But even with all the partisan acrimony, when it comes to maintaining the Empire the "dysfunction" evaporates. Gargantuan "defense" bills sail through the Congress and end up on the president's desk where they're quickly signed into law. A model of legislative efficiency.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joseph-a-palermo/the-worst-congress-money-can-buy_b_9312926.html">//http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joseph-a-palermo/the-worst-congress-money-can-buy_b_9312926.html

Anonymous

^^Is this editorial your opinion too?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote"Renee"

I'm just curious why you find the US political process so fascinating. I'm still not sure why issues taking place in the US that have little or no impact on you or anyone else outside the US should be of interest.

I really don't get the interest in this either. Nominate in an election year, don't nominate, who fucking cares. Certainly shouldn't be anyone who is  not a US passport holder. When you look at the shit that is happening in other Western countries, the US is a sea of stability.  Sweden is being overrun by rapist jihadis and whether Obama nominates or not gets more attention? WTF??

Exactly my point but unfortunately some people around here are so fixated on everything the US does that important global issues just have to take a back seat.

But hey, because of this media hyped, political disagreement over when a Supreme Court nomination should put forth, it might be an indication that the US can't govern itself and the sky might fall. :oeudC:

I wonder how the world survived while we wrestled with this same issue on and off throughout or history?  :laugh3: It must have been tough on you guys out there and please accept my heartfelt apologies.  :laugh3:

But I'm not going to begrudge these people their little trips to lala land. If creating an mental image of a train wreck and then labeling as the United States of America feeds their wolf, they are more than welcome to do so. They just need to remember not to get so uppity when they get questioned about the reasoning behind their little obsession.

If this is a train wreck, than there's nothing to fear from trains. This is internal US politics and it means to any of us. Hell, I do not think a lot of Americans give two shits.

RW

Quote from: "RW"You're not going to bully me out of making comments about American legal/political issues so save the bleating.

Now I'm bullying you? Before I was crying.....strange combination.

For the record....I'm not trying to stop you from doing anything. Basically I was just curious as to the motivation behind your interest. Still am....probably always will be...pardon me. ac_unsure

Not really when you think about it.

I told you my interest in law.  That and I like to point out media idiocy when I see it.  This is such a non-issue that's been turned into ridiculousness.  I like to make note of those things.

I would ask if that's okay with you but I don't really give a fuck.   ac_biggrin
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

Quote from: "Herman"Hell, I do not think a lot of Americans give two shits.

And that is the answer to Renee's challenge as to why the rest of the world DOES give a shit.

America proclaimed itself the leader of the free world. That is what their President is often, in fact, called. Its a grand lie. A massive deception that influences the perception of those who lack the wit to examine their claim, and judge its merit.

Were we to take America's so-called "leadership" on face value, we run the grave risk of following its path. Yet that is exactly what many Americans do; they believe in their own propaganda, when by any fair examination,the US is FAR from being a model any country should follow.

By its posturing and boasting, America invites scrutiny. That scrutiny should be made available to all Americans, so that they too know how the world truly sees it, and WHY. I've never met an American who was inhospitable, gregarious and friendly, yet those values seem to break down in the political arena, where corporate and military influences weigh much heavier.

It can only be presumed that either Americans don't have two shits to give, or more likely, their leader don't give two shits what they think. The reality seems clear; Americans have no control over the management of their country.

If they did, the fact that their overseers on political dispute, the Supreme Court, is in fact biased and controlled should fill them with horror. It defies the principle of a justice system complete distinct from the political system. It may also answer the question as to why America remains firmly controlled by a piece of paper hundreds of years old that has no bearing or relevance to the 21st century.

The failure of Americans to think and act to address injustice in their own country, and their unlawful conduct without, virtually commands that the rest of the world tell them what WE think. And many of us see you as a dangerous, scary, corrupt and hypocritical nation, occupied by kind, generous and caring people. Perhaps the greatest national paradox in the world today.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"
Quote from: "Herman"Hell, I do not think a lot of Americans give two shits.

And that is the answer to Renee's challenge as to why the rest of the world DOES give a shit.

America proclaimed itself the leader of the free world. That is what their President is often, in fact, called. Its a grand lie. A massive deception that influences the perception of those who lack the wit to examine their claim, and judge its merit.

Were we to take America's so-called "leadership" on face value, we run the grave risk of following its path. Yet that is exactly what many Americans do; they believe in their own propaganda, when by any fair examination,the US is FAR from being a model any country should follow.

By its posturing and boasting, America invites scrutiny. That scrutiny should be made available to all Americans, so that they too know how the world truly sees it, and WHY. I've never met an American who was inhospitable, gregarious and friendly, yet those values seem to break down in the political arena, where corporate and military influences weigh much heavier.

It can only be presumed that either Americans don't have two shits to give, or more likely, their leader don't give two shits what they think. The reality seems clear; Americans have no control over the management of their country.

If they did, the fact that their overseers on political dispute, the Supreme Court, is in fact biased and controlled should fill them with horror. It defies the principle of a justice system complete distinct from the political system. It may also answer the question as to why America remains firmly controlled by a piece of paper hundreds of years old that has no bearing or relevance to the 21st century.

The failure of Americans to think and act to address injustice in their own country, and their unlawful conduct without, virtually commands that the rest of the world tell them what WE think. And many of us see you as a dangerous, scary, corrupt and hypocritical nation, occupied by kind, generous and caring people. Perhaps the greatest national paradox in the world today.

The entire Western world is fucked and it has fuck all to with who will replace Scalia.

Bricktop

Could be worse.

We could be in ASIA!!!

easter bunny

What's wrong with this picture?

QuoteDow Chemical Co. said it agreed to pay $835 million to settle an antitrust case pending before the U.S. Supreme Court after Justice Antonin Scalia's death reduced its chances of overturning a jury award.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-26/dow-cites-scalia-s-death-in-settling-urethanes-case-for-835m">//http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-26/dow-cites-scalia-s-death-in-settling-urethanes-case-for-835m

Bricktop

Ouch!!!

World's Greatest Democracy in action.

easter bunny

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"Ouch!!!

World's Greatest Democracy in action.

Yup. That's part of the reason Trump is winning.

Bricktop

cc

I'm unaware of any politicians in the world that run a county well and for the people's wishes.

Most outsiders can't fight the establishment successfully thus lifer  blood sucker politicians with no real world "actually do things" experience stay in power FOR THEMSELVES and do not represent the people's wishes.

This guy has been able to do well despite the establishment fighting him full bore.

I wish we had a country where someone could do that -  I wish we had a person who could  do that.
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Bricktop

I'm beginning to agree. Although I wouldn't want a Trump, I'd certainly welcome someone breaking the power grip of established political structures.

It will be a wild and scary ride.