Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Happy International Women's Day.

Started by Bricktop, March 08, 2016, 06:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"Fuck you.

No-one who knows me would EVER accuse me of sexism.

Read into that what you will.

What is sexism?

Is it certain attitudes that are of step with the times or does it involve actual gender based discrimination?

RW

Construction seems to have the same issues as science.

"Women in the construction industry has remained shockingly low—under 3 percent—for decades, due in large part to the discrimination that blocks women from entering and staying in the field.  Sexual harassment and hostility, lack of mentors, and stereotyped assumptions about women's capabilities all contribute to the problem."

http://nwlc.org/resources/women-construction-still-breaking-ground/">http://nwlc.org/resources/women-constru ... ng-ground/">http://nwlc.org/resources/women-construction-still-breaking-ground/
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Construction seems to have the same issues as science.

"Women in the construction industry has remained shockingly low—under 3 percent—for decades, due in large part to the discrimination that blocks women from entering and staying in the field.  Sexual harassment and hostility, lack of mentors, and stereotyped assumptions about women's capabilities all contribute to the problem."

http://nwlc.org/resources/women-construction-still-breaking-ground/">http://nwlc.org/resources/women-constru ... ng-ground/">http://nwlc.org/resources/women-construction-still-breaking-ground/

I know women that work in construction. Hell, I know women who work as service hands in the patch. More than half are lesbians. But, the same opportunities are available to them as to men. There are no separate wage scales for men and women in PSAC or the CAODC.

RW

I know the unions keep the wages the same.  Employers have to but you can't tell me women are treated the same and don't have to put up with shitters of bullshit that men don't.  I know women who have left construction trades due to abuse and hostility and that has been my personal experience as well.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

Why do you keep citing American studies?

You live in Canada.

Why not cite studies in Saudi Arabia? Yemen?

We KNOW, and I have told you directly, that as usual the US lags behind the rest of the world. Cherry picking US studies that relate to very specific industries merely tells us that there are spot fires of ignorance and failure to comply with legislation.

You may as well say its not safe to walk the streets where you live because of all the rapes in Somalia.

I notice you don't cite discrimination against men in nursing, education, public relations, law, accounting and other fields, including politics.

Just selective and isolated examples of residual male resentment.

Its a typical feminist/leftist tactic to take an issue, find an isolated example, and then extrude that example to claim its the norm.

Pathetic.

RW

I keep trying to explain it to you that it's not an isolated incident and I'm going to continue providing evidence to back that claim despite your constant trying to minimize me and my point.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"

Why do you keep citing American studies?

You live in Canada.

Why not cite studies in Saudi Arabia? Yemen?

We KNOW, and I have told you directly, that as usual the US lags behind the rest of the world. Cherry picking US studies that relate to very specific industries merely tells us that there are spot fires of ignorance and failure to comply with legislation.

You may as well say its not safe to walk the streets where you live because of all the rapes in Somalia.

I notice you don't cite discrimination against men in nursing, education, public relations, law, accounting and other fields, including politics.

Just selective and isolated examples of residual male resentment.

Its a typical feminist/leftist tactic to take an issue, find an isolated example, and then extrude that example to claim its the norm.

Pathetic.

Separate wage scales for men and women in Canada for construction or the oil patch is pure bullshit. The wage scales are available online for tradespeople and the oil patch. There is no rig tech bonus for men derrickhands, but not women derrickhands.

RW

Why are women's claims of workplace sexism constantly brushed aside?

Women have been making a fuss again. The past few weeks have seen a spate of headlines about workplace sexism, from a soprano being judged on her body shape instead of her singing, to a row over sexism in football, to the sudden departure of Jill Abramson from the New York Times amid controversial claims of gender bias and unequal pay. (The claims are denied by publisher Arthur Sulzberger).

The stories are by no means unusual – the sexism faced by professional women seems to be hitting the headlines with ever-increasing frequency. Yet despite the emergence of an undeniably striking pattern, the response of dismissal, denial and disbelief persists.

Women allege that they experienced unwanted touching and sexual advances while working in politics. Commentators respond that they are oversensitive, "making a fuss about nothing" and should have been able to cope with it. A prime minister calls out the extreme sexist abuse she has faced on a regular basis during her time in office. Commentators accuse her of playing "the victim card". Richard Scudamore's emails are roundly criticised by women in sport, with Heather Rabbatts, chair of the FA's Inclusion Advisory Board, warning of "growing evidence of a closed culture of sexism". The largely middle-aged white men in charge of the Premier League investigate and declare there is: "No other evidence of wider discriminatory attitudes or inappropriate language or a general attitude of disrespect to women."
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

You women are asking for a complete reversal of human social behaviour established over centuries in the historic blink of an eye.

You whine about these holdout industries, or even smaller samples, while utterly failing to recognise the enormous changes already implemented such as affirmative action, female quotas and areas where females have reversed the discrimination.

Where do you get the idea that this world is perfect.

There will be examples of failure (although they seem to centred on one nation). If I were a construction worker, I'd be leery of bringing females into a male dominated social as well as vocational group, because there is a certain amount of physicality required, and men have been used to acting in a way that females would not enjoy.

You fail to mention how many females want to work in the construction industry. I'll bet the number of aspirants represent less than 1% of applications to become tradespeople. If that number increased, change would also increase in pace.

But no...pick a "paper" and say "There, I told you so" just like Romero.

RW

Women have been making a fuss again. The past few weeks have seen a spate of headlines about workplace sexism, from a soprano being judged on her body shape instead of her singing, to a row over sexism in football, to the sudden departure of Jill Abramson from the New York Times amid controversial claims of gender bias and unequal pay. (The claims are denied by publisher Arthur Sulzberger).

The stories are by no means unusual – the sexism faced by professional women seems to be hitting the headlines with ever-increasing frequency. Yet despite the emergence of an undeniably striking pattern, the response of dismissal, denial and disbelief persists.

Women allege that they experienced unwanted touching and sexual advances while working in politics. Commentators respond that they are oversensitive, "making a fuss about nothing" and should have been able to cope with it. A prime minister calls out the extreme sexist abuse she has faced on a regular basis during her time in office. Commentators accuse her of playing "the victim card". Richard Scudamore's emails are roundly criticised by women in sport, with Heather Rabbatts, chair of the FA's Inclusion Advisory Board, warning of "growing evidence of a closed culture of sexism". The largely middle-aged white men in charge of the Premier League investigate and declare there is: "No other evidence of wider discriminatory attitudes or inappropriate language or a general attitude of disrespect to women."

Advertisement

Shades of AA Gill's irrelevant comment that talented historian Mary Beard was "too ugly for TV". John Inverdale's musings about Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli not being "a looker". Comments about Hillary Clinton's cleavage, Julia Gillard's thighs, Theresa May's shoes, Stella Creasy's breasts, Cameron's Cuties, Blair's Babes, Hollande's Honeys ... You could go on and on. But just like Scudamore's emails and Lib Dem peer Lord Rennard's alleged offences, every one of these incidents has been robustly defended by people still willing to claim that women are making a fuss about nothing, the "PC brigade" has "gone mad" and we have no problem with sexism in the workplace or elsewhere.

Advertisement

It might come as a shock to them to hear that a survey released this week reveals that 44% of UK women feel their gender has hindered their career, or will in the future. Or that 36% have experienced prejudice because of their gender. The report, for coaching consultancy Talking Talent, was carried out by market research agency Opinion Matters, which polled 1,000 working women and mothers. It echoes last year's findings by law firm Slater and Gordon that 60% of working women had experienced inappropriate behaviour from male colleagues. Not to mention the Equal Opportunities Commission's 2005 findings that 30,000 women every year lose their jobs as a result of maternity discrimination, and recent estimates that that figure may since have risen to 50,000. And in the wake of Abramson's firing from the New York Times this month, new figures revealed that female CEOs are also more likely to be forced out of the top jobs than men. Problem? What problem?

This is before you even begin to take into account the underrepresentation of women, both in terms of power and visibility within each of the industries recently highlighted by rows over sexism. Of 30 leading roles in the subsidised arts sector in Britain, as of March 2013, only four were held by women. According to the Women's Sport and Fitness Foundation, women's sport receives a paltry 0.4% of commercial investment and just 7% of media coverage. Our 22-member cabinet currently includes just three women. Given these statistics you might be forgiven for hoping that women raising concerns around sexism and discrimination in these fields might be taken more seriously.

And for anyone who still doubts the prevalence and severity of sexism, harassment and discrimination in the UK workplace, look no further than the #ShoutingBack hashtag on Twitter, where this week the Everyday Sexism Project asked women to share their experiences. The results speak for themselves.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/2014/may/23/women-gender">http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... men-gender">http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/2014/may/23/women-gender
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"You women are asking for a complete reversal of human social behaviour established over centuries in the historic blink of an eye.

You whine about these holdout industries, or even smaller samples, while utterly failing to recognise the enormous changes already implemented such as affirmative action, female quotas and areas where females have reversed the discrimination.

Where do you get the idea that this world is perfect.

There will be examples of failure (although they seem to centred on one nation). If I were a construction worker, I'd be leery of bringing females into a male dominated social as well as vocational group, because there is a certain amount of physicality required, and men have been used to acting in a way that females would not enjoy.

You fail to mention how many females want to work in the construction industry. I'll bet the number of aspirants represent less than 1% of applications to become tradespeople. If that number increased, change would also increase in pace.

But no...pick a "paper" and say "There, I told you so" just like Romero.

I'm going to pick hundreds slappy.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Bricktop

Knock yourself out.

In my country, all pay is equal, discrimination is unlawful, and women have been elected prime minister.

Nit pick all you want. I would never deny there is still a way to go, but as with all zealots, you fail to see the wood for the trees.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Why are women's claims of workplace sexism constantly brushed aside?

I

I do not know about the story in the New York Times, but I do know the industry that I have worked in for thirty years. Contractors do have separate wage scales for men and women. There are not a lot of women in big industrial construction and far less again in the upstream oil patch. But I do know they are paid the same as men for the job they are in.

As for discrimination goes, most men cannot handle our business either. There's no room for pussies in this dangerous and difficult line of work. Romero would not last an hour. You can call that harassment I guess, but it is what it is. In my business, we will treat you with respect when you have earned it through hard work and heavy boozing.

Bricktop

Are you calling Rom a pussy???

ac_toofunny

RW

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"Knock yourself out.

In my country, all pay is equal, discrimination is unlawful, and women have been elected prime minister.

Nit pick all you want. I would never deny there is still a way to go, but as with all zealots, you fail to see the wood for the trees.

That means sexism doesn't exist then.  LOL!  Even you yourself claim women are less competent in areas than men citing leadership in our discussion.  That's a sexist attitude and it's one that's shared amoung men and women.  Until out dated thinking like that stops, sexism will exist whether it's legislated or not.
Beware of Gaslighters!