Total votes: : 4

Last post: October 04, 2024, 10:46:23 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

A

Where is the Colored Guy?

Started by Anonymous, March 29, 2016, 02:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Is "coloured" seriously THAT offensive?

Yes, I think so..

You don't use that word do you?

RW

Why is it so offensive?

The N word I understand but coloured?  I don't get it.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

I don't give a flying fuck what words anyone uses. It's the tone and intent that causes anger and offense.

From what Herm wrote, it seems that the instructor meant absolutely no offense.

Case closed!!

Renee

Personally I prefer the term "Pickaninny".

It's kinda cute. :nea:  ac_biggrin
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

The Donald

Make America Great Again

Bricktop

I can guarantee you if this occurred in Asia, and the missing person was caucasian, the instructor would have asked "Where is the white guy?".

Would anyone here have been offended in those circumstances?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"I can guarantee you if this occurred in Asia, and the missing person was caucasian, the instructor would have asked "Where is the white guy?".

Would anyone here have been offended in those circumstances?

Or Africa or much of Latin America. All those places have words that have consequences.

Bricktop

Whilst in Malaysia, my host (from Singapore) keeps me from loitering too long in open public places.

Malaysian thugs target "white guys" to mug, and the cops take no interest.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"Whilst in Malaysia, my host (from Singapore) keeps me from loitering too long in open public places.

Malaysian thugs target "white guys" to mug, and the cops take no interest.

Most of the places in the world I have lived in or been in whites are fair game. But in this country, calling blacks "colored guys" is not on.

RW

Explain to me why the term "coloured" is so offensive.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Take the NAACP for instance.  The "C" in the organizations name stands for COLOURED (the P is for people).

It's antiquated and offensive in context but in this case it isn't.  Why make a stink about nothing?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Take the NAACP for instance.  The "C" in the organizations name stands for COLOURED (the P is for people).

It's antiquated and offensive in context but in this case it isn't.  Why make a stink about nothing?

It is antiquated and is a throw back to Jim Crow era laws..

The NAACP still uses that word because it was the most positive description commonly used in 1909.

Bricktop

Non-whites have made an industry out of being offended by tags. If they are called anything that relates to their race, they get pissed. Yet I'm called an Aussie. You guys are Canucks. Brits are poms, or "rosbeef", French are froggies, Germans are krauts, Russians are russkis...who cares.

But call a Pakistani a "paki" and he or she goes mental. Being tagged according to our race is not, in and of itself, offensive unless spoken in a derogatory manner. Even "nigger" was simply a variation of "negro", which simply meant "black". Nothing more or less.

Minorities make an art form from being offended...moreso when they think they can score one over whitey.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"Non-whites have made an industry out of being offended by tags. If they are called anything that relates to their race, they get pissed. Yet I'm called an Aussie. You guys are Canucks. Brits are poms, or "rosbeef", French are froggies, Germans are krauts, Russians are russkis...who cares.

But call a Pakistani a "paki" and he or she goes mental. Being tagged according to our race is not, in and of itself, offensive unless spoken in a derogatory manner. Even "nigger" was simply a variation of "negro", which simply meant "black". Nothing more or less.

Minorities make an art form from being offended...moreso when they think they can score one over whitey.

It's up to me to tell a black Canadian they should not be offended by the word colured.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"In my H2S Alive recert class everyone was white except for two Native guys and one black African. The African guy was late to come back from break which prompted the instructor to ask, "does anyone know where the colored guy is"?

The colored guy? It's 2016 and this instructor who is about my age I would guess describes black Africans as "colored guys." I am not a very pc guy, but I know that word died out many decades ago or so I thought.

The "colored guy," I cannot believe it.

He should teach a class in the Jane/Finch corridor in Toronto.