Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

A

I'm watching a documentary about life in Saudi Arabia

Started by Anonymous, March 30, 2016, 12:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I never knew they now have so much poverty..

The brutal way they handle any dissent is not a surprise..

My husband has been there many times.

Bricktop

Its a horrible place that I would never set foot in.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"Its a horrible place that I would never set foot in.

Each work trip my husband took there was brief and he was very happy to leave.

Bricktop

In my view, Saudi has a lot more to do with the conflict in the Middle East than they wish us to know.

Osama Bin Laden was a Saudi.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"In my view, Saudi has a lot more to do with the conflict in the Middle East than they wish us to know.

Osama Bin Laden was a Saudi.

I don't know about geopolitics..

But, is an an oppressive police state..

And surprisingly, has a lot of poverty..

Beggars approaching cars stopped at red lights.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"I never knew they now have so much poverty..

They have the perfect storm. Revenue way down because they are trying to regain market share from the US and Canada. Secondly increased military spending because of proxy war they are waging with Iran in Yemen.

I know people that have worked in Saudi....it sucks. Ask Herman, he lived in that hole.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"

They have the perfect storm. Revenue way down because they are trying to regain market share from the US and Canada. Secondly increased military spending because of proxy war they are waging with Iran in Yemen.

I know people that have worked in Saudi....it sucks. Ask Herman, he lived in that hole.

I will ask him about Saudi Arabia.

Anonymous

My girlfriend and I cannot decide between Punta Cana and the kingdom of SA. :laugh3:

Anonymous

If I had not been working I would not have went there either.

Anonymous

The new king has been anything, but a reformer. More executions than usual. When ISIS beheads someone the West is horrified. Silence when Saudi Arabia does.

You are right, the wealth is hardly around very well. It's a tightly controlled economy and the best way to get a slice of the pie is to have the right friends.

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"Put another way, "royal" blood.

You got that right. Saudi Arabia is not a society based on meritocracy.

Bricktop

Its a nasty little kingdom, with a rather nasty agenda of pushing its form of islamic law on other nations.

If they are to go at it with Iran, I think I'd prefer Iran to prevail.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"Its a nasty little kingdom, with a rather nasty agenda of pushing its form of islamic law on other nations.

If they are to go at it with Iran, I think I'd prefer Iran to prevail.

I never met the outright hostility to Westerners in Iran that I saw in Saudi. Oh, the state hatred of the great Satan is everywhere, but Iranians are definitely more liberal and friendly.

RW

Saudi government 'wants to EXECUTE gay people who show their sexuality in public & online'

SAUDI law makers could impose the death penalty on gay people who show their sexuality in public and on social media, according to reports.  The government in the Sunni Kingdom is reportedly demanding tougher punishments on those found guilty and claimed social media has caused a boom in homosexuality.  According to Okaz newspaper, the last six months has seen 35 cases of homosexuality and 50 cases of cross-dressers as well as cases of "sexual perversion" in Saudi Arabia.  The judiciary reportedly also claimed there has been a large rise in "perverts" displaying "sins and obscenities" on social media in the Sunni Kingdom.  It comes after a Saudi man was arrested this week when he raised the rainbow flag outside his home in Jeddah.  The doctor was arrested by religious police within hours of hoisting the flag in the port city.  But he was released shortly afterwards when he claimed he had no idea what the pride flag symbolised.  In addition, Okaz reported that a man in his 50s was arrested for making sexual advances to men online.  He allegedly begged for forgiveness during the police interrogation and said he would not do it again.  The calls from the law makers has seen a backlash on social media with some using the hashtag #I_am_gay_will_not_be_deterred.  One tweeted: "I stand with the Saudi Arabian LGBT community."

Lovely place.

Maybe social media will be the down fall of Islam.  Hrm.....
Beware of Gaslighters!