Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

Woman suing Starbucks, after discovering Ice in her Iced Coffee

Started by Anonymous, May 04, 2016, 01:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

reel

I like Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.  It's expensive, but now that I've had it, I'll either have to find some fancy roasting place to make me something proper or carry on, because I can't look back.

As to the argument here, the corporate greed angle just doesn't stand up.  Mass produced coffee costs something like $0.08 to $0.10 a cup for the coffee itself.  Skimming a third of that to replace it with ice (which also costs money to make) does not make any sense.  The "profit" would be on the order of 1 to 2 cents a cup at most.  That would make absolutely no sense to a company trying to market itself as a premium brand.  This isn't a case of a company trying to screw the consumer, as they have nothing to gain from it.

RW

1 or 2 cents per cup is nothing to scoff at when you are selling thousands of cups of coffee DAILY world wide.
Beware of Gaslighters!

reel

It still doesn't make sense from a business perspective as a money saving measure.  They will make way more profit from selling volume than from saving a few cents per cup.  Their margin on that cup is probably on the order of $2 to $3, so the risk that they sell 1 cup less due to an unsatisfied consumer is 100 fold the profit from skimping on the coffee (ie. they'd have to sell 100 more coffees to make up for each customer that doesn't buy 1 coffee because they think they are getting ripped off by the ice).  That is why they will make you a new cup in a heartbeat rather than have you leave dissatisfied.

The ice volume is there for some other reason.  It is not there to save money.  The economics don't make sense.

Anonymous

Quote from: "reel"I like Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.  It's expensive, but now that I've had it, I'll either have to find some fancy roasting place to make me something proper or carry on, because I can't look back.

As to the argument here, the corporate greed angle just doesn't stand up.  Mass produced coffee costs something like $0.08 to $0.10 a cup for the coffee itself.  Skimming a third of that to replace it with ice (which also costs money to make) does not make any sense.  The "profit" would be on the order of 1 to 2 cents a cup at most.  That would make absolutely no sense to a company trying to market itself as a premium brand.  This isn't a case of a company trying to screw the consumer, as they have nothing to gain from it.

Reels, how the fuck are you?

RW

Quote from: "reel"It still doesn't make sense from a business perspective as a money saving measure.  They will make way more profit from selling volume than from saving a few cents per cup.  Their margin on that cup is probably on the order of $2 to $3, so the risk that they sell 1 cup less due to an unsatisfied consumer is 100 fold the profit from skimping on the coffee (ie. they'd have to sell 100 more coffees to make up for each customer that doesn't buy 1 coffee because they think they are getting ripped off by the ice).  That is why they will make you a new cup in a heartbeat rather than have you leave dissatisfied.

The ice volume is there for some other reason.  It is not there to save money.  The economics don't make sense.

The economics do make sense. If they sell larger sized drinks as a result of lesser product, is that not seeing a higher profit on said drink?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "reel"It still doesn't make sense from a business perspective as a money saving measure.  They will make way more profit from selling volume than from saving a few cents per cup.  Their margin on that cup is probably on the order of $2 to $3, so the risk that they sell 1 cup less due to an unsatisfied consumer is 100 fold the profit from skimping on the coffee (ie. they'd have to sell 100 more coffees to make up for each customer that doesn't buy 1 coffee because they think they are getting ripped off by the ice).  That is why they will make you a new cup in a heartbeat rather than have you leave dissatisfied.

That makes sense. But, I still buy cheap stuff. I use the amount I want and it has the potency I like. Besides, the diners around here make undrinkable coffee.

Anonymous

Quote from: "reel"I like Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.  It's expensive, but now that I've had it, I'll either have to find some fancy roasting place to make me something proper or carry on, because I can't look back.

That is exceptional coffee.

cc

We switched to espresso only a few years ago. Never have looked back

For throughout the day, extra water to get more volume but still is as good as it gets ..... a full strength now and then to luxuriate ... might do a cappuccino now and then for a change of pace.

For the information of any truly REAL coffee types, we use our previously secret brand  ..... believe  it or not London Drugs has picked up the best of all ... not sure if exclusive or not  ... roasted in Canada following the best Italian standards ... "AGenco Caffe's Della Rossa Espresso" http://agencocaffe.com/">//http://agencocaffe.com/ (pic shows ground, but have never seen it on shelves and we always buy the whole beans and grind away)

We have tried them all and have a shelf full of barely used bags of well reputed but "inferior" stuff .. for sale cheap
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"We switched to espresso only a few years ago. Never have looked back

For throughout the day, extra water to get more volume but still is as good as it gets ..... a full strength now and then to luxuriate ... might do a cappuccino now and then for a change of pace.

For the information of any truly REAL coffee types, we use our previously secret brand  ..... believe  it or not London Drugs has picked up the best of all ... not sure if exclusive or not  ... roasted in Canada .. Agenco http://agencocaffe.com/">//http://agencocaffe.com/

We have tried them all and have a shelf full of barely used bags

I am not really into types of coffee or brands, but I do like a good triple espresso when I am in a city.

cc

They suggest a stovetop method - We use a Deloghi pressure pump machine .... there will most always be an 1/8 " of golden crème on top ... heaven in a cup

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"They suggest a stovetop method - We use a Deloghi pressure pump machine .... there will most always be an 1/8 " of golden crème on top ... heaven in a cup

I will take your word for it ceec. We buy Edwards dark roast and I make it super strong. The old lady is not a coffee drinker anyway.

cc

Edwards dark is a good drip coffee ... beats the heck out of the other regular shelf  brands

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Edwards dark is a good drip coffee ... beats the heck out of the other regular shelf  brands

And it's cheaper than most too. We buy it in bulk when it's on sale.

cc

Used it a lot before going all espresso-snob  ac_smile

cc

Used it a lot  .. Safeway sales stock up ... before going all espresso-exclusive snob  ac_smile