News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10472
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 27, 2024, 06:55:02 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

I'm thinking of buying in the Okanagan...

Started by smell the glove, June 14, 2016, 03:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smell the glove

...and moving away from Greater Vancouver.

Since both my parents here recently passed, I have no more real connection with here...  I can get a slightly better bang for my buck there...

Thoughts on this plan?

Anonymous

Quote from: "smell the glove"...and moving away from Greater Vancouver.

Since both my parents here recently passed, I have no more real connection with here...  I can get a slightly better bang for my buck there...

Thoughts on this plan?

Go for it, it's beautiful there.

Anonymous

Thoughts on this plan?

Just like buying beer in Ontario to check if customers are over nineteen, I thought they checked ID in the Okanagan to see if you are over sixty five before they will sell you a property.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Thoughts on this plan?

What are you looking to buy? A detached house this time or another condo?

smell the glove

At this point, since I don't need a mortgage anymore, I am thinking of purchasing a small piece of bare land, and having a smaller home custom built, since I cannot find one for sale that suits my needs, that isn't in a gated community...

As a single man with no children, smaller detached bungalows is what I want.  Unfortunately, smaller detached "freehold" bungalows are not built in any great numbers.

I have consulted with some builders, to get an average price per square foot build cost.

I am in no rush, since I am fine where I am right now...

This way, I have a new build, and can control everything from the floor plans, to the paint colour on the walls.

Anonymous

Quote from: "smell the glove"At this point, since I don't need a mortgage anymore, I am thinking of purchasing a small piece of bare land, and having a smaller home custom built, since I cannot find one for sale that suits my needs, that isn't in a gated community...

As a single man with no children, smaller detached bungalows is what I want.  Unfortunately, smaller detached "freehold" bungalows are not built in any great numbers.

I have consulted with some builders, to get an average price per square foot build cost.

This way, I have a new build, and can control everything from the floor plans, to the paint colour on the walls.

Lots of town houses and condos being built throughout the Okanagan. Personally, I think that area is overrated.

smell the glove

That's why I'm cautious...

Looking at bare land values, with a custom small-home build...

smell the glove

Bungalow, as I will never have children, and really won't ever need much more roomage than perhaps a spare room for a guest...

JOE

Thoughts on this plan?

Okanagan is nice, but not my cup of tea.

And if you're thinking of buying an acreage, takes a lot of work.

Given that you're not the most sociable of people, not sure you'd wanna go in for it, since you'd probably need a lot of people to maintain it.

Usually, those acreages have on orhcird in the back.

A relative of mine bought something there, but as he got older, sold it.

He still lives there though.

However, if it is just a condo or townhouse, might be OK.

Still, I've found that while the Okanagan is a nice place to vacation and visit, I wouldn't wanna live there. Gets too cold in the winter.

Anonymous

Quote from: "smell the glove"At this point, since I don't need a mortgage anymore, I am thinking of purchasing a small piece of bare land, and having a smaller home custom built, since I cannot find one for sale that suits my needs, that isn't in a gated community...

A custom built home on an acre of serviced land would be wonderful.

Anonymous

Quote from: "smell the glove"That's why I'm cautious...

Looking at bare land values, with a custom small-home build...

A lot or an acreage?

smell the glove

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"A lot or an acreage?

More than likely a lot in town...  Not too big, since too much yardwork interferes with my drinking time...

That, and I like to be close to town, as it's nice to have shopping close to where you live...

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Gallium

Put an advertisement in the paper and you'll find a cheap and worthy home to put on your proposed vacant block I'm sure. Many people seek to rebuild on land that they have recently purchased and merely scrap and demolish the existing house presently there. You'll be surprised what you may find.

Often they merely disconnect all the plumbing and services, cut the house in two, crane it on to a flatbed truck and trailer...and Bob's your uncle!

Good luck.  :thumbup: