Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 02:15:04 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

A

Asian Recipes

Started by Anonymous, February 04, 2013, 08:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I made coconut tarts yesterday and my family loved them.

Our riff on the traditional tarte Tatin is individually sized and topped with tangy pineapple, flaky toasted coconut, and a hint of ginger.

Game plan: The tarts can be made up to 4 hours ahead, cooled completely, stored in an airtight container, and reheated on a baking sheet at 300°F for 5 to 10 minutes.

If you don't have a 12-well muffin pan, you can use two 6-well muffin pans; just be sure to bake them side by side in the oven.

This recipe was featured as part of both our New Year's Eve Speakeasy Party and our story on hand-held meals you can make in a muffin pan.

INGREDIENTS

•1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted

•1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut

•1 (14- to 16-ounce package) frozen puff pastry, thawed according to the package directions

•Flour, for dusting the work surface

•2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar

•1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

•1/8 teaspoon fine salt

•2 cups fresh, small-dice pineapple

INSTRUCTIONS

Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Generously coat a 12-well muffin pan with the melted butter using a pastry brush. Evenly sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the coconut inside each well; set the pan aside.

Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. (Some brands may not require any rolling.) Prick it all over with a fork, then cut 12 circles using a round cookie cutter the width of the top of the muffin wells (about 2 3/4 inches). Place the puff pastry circles on a baking sheet lined with parchment or waxed paper and refrigerate until needed.

Place the brown sugar, ginger, and salt in a medium bowl, break up any lumps with a spatula or wooden spoon, and stir to combine. Add the pineapple and stir to coat.

Evenly divide the pineapple mixture among the muffin wells. Place a puff pastry circle on top of the pineapple mixture and gently tuck the sides into the well to seal around the pineapple.

Bake until the pastry is puffed and dark golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes.

Remove the pan from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. While the tartlets are still warm, run a knife around each to loosen it from the well. Place a baking sheet over the muffin pan and carefully invert the muffin pan onto the baking sheet. Gently tap the bottom of each well and then remove the muffin pan. (If some pieces of pineapple and coconut remain inside the wells, just scrape them out and place them on top of the tartlets.) Serve warm.

http://search.chow.com/thumbnail/480/0/www.chow.com/assets/2011/09/27976_Pineapple_Coconut_Tartlets_620.jpg">

Anonymous

Next Sunday is lunar new year and I will be making custard tarts..

I found a recipe that uses puffed pastry instead.

Original recipe makes 12 tartsChange Servings

1 cupmilk

3 tablespoonscornstarch

1/2vanilla bean

1 cupwhite sugar

6egg yolks

1 (17.5 ounce) packagefrozen puff pastry, thawed

Check AllAdd to Shopping List

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C.) Lightly grease 12 muffin cups and line bottom and sides with puff pastry.

2.In a saucepan, combine milk, cornstarch, sugar and vanilla. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Place egg yolks in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk 1/2 cup of hot milk mixture into egg yolks. Gradually add egg yolk mixture back to remaining milk mixture, whisking constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Remove vanilla bean.

3.Fill pastry-lined muffin cups with mixture and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling is lightly browned on top

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"I made coconut tarts yesterday and my family loved them.

Our riff on the traditional tarte Tatin is individually sized and topped with tangy pineapple, flaky toasted coconut, and a hint of ginger.

Game plan: The tarts can be made up to 4 hours ahead, cooled completely, stored in an airtight container, and reheated on a baking sheet at 300°F for 5 to 10 minutes.

If you don't have a 12-well muffin pan, you can use two 6-well muffin pans; just be sure to bake them side by side in the oven.

This recipe was featured as part of both our New Year's Eve Speakeasy Party and our story on hand-held meals you can make in a muffin pan.

INGREDIENTS

•1 (14- to 16-ounce package) frozen puff pastry, thawed according to the package directions

•1/8 teaspoon fine salt

INSTRUCTIONS

Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Generously coat a 12-well muffin pan with the melted butter using a pastry brush. Evenly sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the coconut inside each well; set the pan aside.

Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. (Some brands may not require any rolling.) Prick it all over with a fork, then cut 12 circles using a round cookie cutter the width of the top of the muffin wells (about 2 3/4 inches). Place the puff pastry circles on a baking sheet lined with parchment or waxed paper and refrigerate until needed.

Place the brown sugar, ginger, and salt in a medium bowl, break up any lumps with a spatula or wooden spoon, and stir to combine. Add the pineapple and stir to coat.

Evenly divide the pineapple mixture among the muffin wells. Place a puff pastry circle on top of the pineapple mixture and gently tuck the sides into the well to seal around the pineapple.

Remove the pan from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. While the tartlets are still warm, run a knife around each to loosen it from the well. Place a baking sheet over the muffin pan and carefully invert the muffin pan onto the baking sheet. Gently tap the bottom of each well and then remove the muffin pan. (If some pieces of pineapple and coconut remain inside the wells, just scrape them out and place them on top of the tartlets.) Serve warm.

http://search.chow.com/thumbnail/480/0/www.chow.com/assets/2011/09/27976_Pineapple_Coconut_Tartlets_620.jpg">

They look almost as sweet as you Fash. Your husband is a lucky, lucky man.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Fashionista"I made coconut tarts yesterday and my family loved them.

INGREDIENTS

•1/8 teaspoon fine salt

INSTRUCTIONS

They look almost as sweet as you Fash. Your husband is a lucky, lucky man.

Oh thank you seoulbro, but I am the one who is lucky.

Anonymous

Spring Rolls

Ingredients:

•6 dried black mushrooms

•1/4 pound lean pork

•Marinades for Shrimp and Pork:

• 1 tbsp soy sauce

•1/4 teaspoon sesame oil

•A pinch of cornstarch

•10 medium raw shrimp, shelled and deveined

•1 tablespoon rice wine, dry sherry or sake

•1 teaspoon cornstarch

•Other:

•1 cup mung bean sprouts

•1/2 red bell pepper

•4 Chinese garlic chives

•1/2 carrot

•1 cup shredded Napa cabbage

•Sauce:

•2 tablespoons oyster sauce

•1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry

•2 tablespoons dark soy sauce or low-sodium chicken broth

•1 teaspoon sesame oil

•For Frying Spring Rolls:

•4 cups oil for deep-frying, plus about 6 tablespoons for stir-frying

•1 teaspoon chopped garlic

•1 teaspoon chopped ginger

•24 spring roll wrappers

• Dipping Sauces:

• plum sauce or duck sauce

•Chinese hot mustard

Preparation:

Spring Rolls Directions:

Soften the mushrooms by soaking in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes. Squeeze out any excess water. Cut off the stems and slice finely.

Cut the pork into matchsticks. Add the soy sauce, sesame oil and cornstarch. Marinate for 15 minutes.

Rinse the shrimp under warm running water. Pat dry with paper towels. Chop finely. Toss with the rice wine and cornstarch. Marinate for 15 minutes.

Rinse the mung bean sprouts and drain thoroughly. Wash the red bell pepper and dice. Wash and dice the garlic chives. Wash and shred the carrots and cabbage.

In a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients. Set aside. Heat the wok over medium-high to high heat. When the oil is hot, add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and stir-fry until aromatic. Add the pork. Stir-fry until it turns white and is about 80 percent cooked through. Remove from the wok and drain on paper towels.

Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the ginger. Stir-fry until aromatic. Add the shrimp. Stir-fry until they turn pink. Remove from the wok and drain.

Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the vegetables, one at a time, beginning with the mushrooms, then the red bell pepper, cabbage, garlic chives, shredded carrot and mung bean sprouts.

Anonymous

Chinese dumplings are a staple for Lunar New Year...a favourite in my home.

Ingredients:

• Dumpling Dough*

• 2 cups all purpose flour

• 1 cup boiling water

•Filling:

• 8 ounces celery cabbage (Napa cabbage)

• 3 tsp salt, divided

• 1 pound lean ground pork

• 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions, with tops

• 1 TB white wine

• 1 tsp cornstarch

• 1 tsp sesame oil

• Dash white pepper

•Dipping Sauce:

• 1/4 cup soy sauce

• 1 tsp sesame oil

•Other:

•2 - 4 tablespoons vegetable oil

Preparation:

Cut the cabbage across into thin strips. Mix with 2 teaspoons salt and set aside for 5 minutes. Squeeze out the excess moisture.

In a large bowl, mix the celery cabbage, pork, green onions, wine, cornstarch, the remaining 1 teaaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, and the white pepper.

In a bowl, mix the flour and 1 cup boiling water until a soft dough forms. Knead the dough on a lightly flour surface about 5 minutes, or until smooth.

Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a roll 12 inches long and cut each roll into 1/2-inch slices.

Roll 1 slice of dough into a 3-inch circle and place 1 tablespoon pork mixture in the center of the circle. Lift up the edges of the circle and pinch 5 pleats up to create a pouch to encase the mixture. Pinch the top together. Repeat with the remaining slices of dough and filling.

Heat a wok or nonstick skillet until very hot. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, tilting the wok to coat the sides. If using a nonstick skillet, add 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil. Place 12 dumplings in a single layer in the wok and fry 2 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden brown.

Add 1/2 cup water. Cover and cook 6 to 7 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Repeat with the remaining dumplings.

To make a dipping sauce, in a small bowl, mix the soy sauce with 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Serve with the dumplings.

Anonymous

Lettuce wraps are one of my favourites and something I make several times in a year.

Ingredients:

•1 head iceberg lettuce or romaine lettuce leaves (whichever you prefer)

•Sauce:

•1 tablespoon soy sauce

•2 tablespoons oyster sauce

•1 tablespoon dry sherry

•1 teaspoon sugar

•Remaining Ingredients:

•1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil

•1 slice ginger, minced

•1 garlic clove, minced

•2 green onions, chopped

•1 lb meat from chicken breasts or sliced white chicken meat

•1 red pepper, seeded and diced

•1 can water chestnuts, rinsed in warm running water and chopped

•1 stalk celery, diced

•1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water

Preparation:

Wash the lettuce, dry, and separate the leaves. Set aside.

Mix together the sauce ingredients. Heat the sesame oil in a non-stick frying pan on high heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and green onions and fry until the garlic and ginger are aromatic. Add the chicken and cook until the chicken is browned. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.

Add the red pepper, water chestnuts, and celery to the frying pan. Add the sauce ingredients and cook at medium heat, Give the cornstarch/water mixture a quick restir and add to the sauce, stirring to thicken. Add the chicken back into the wok. Cook for 2 - 3 more minutes, stirring, to heat through and finish cooking the chicken.

Lay out a lettuce leaf and spoon a heaping teaspoon of the chicken and vegetable/sauce mixture into the middle. The lettuce wraps are designed to be eaten "taco-style," with the lettuce/chicken mixture folded into a package. Continue with the remainder of the chicken and lettuce leaves. Serve.

Variations: Try substituting different vegetables, or using one of the many stir-fry sauces that are now on the market in place of the sauce.

Odinson

I bet your husband and kids are nice and chubby... ;)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"I bet your husband and kids are nice and chubby... ;)

No, my husband plays hockey in the winter and baseball in the summer..

My son likes soccer and hockey and my daughter likes gymnastics..

I like ice skating and roller blading..

None of us are overweight and I ensure that we eat healthy meals and snacks.

Odinson

Quote from: "Fashionista"

I was joking. :)

Similar hobbies.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"

Similar hobbies.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were calling us fat.

:oops:

We are lucky none of us have the types of bodies that put on weight easily.

Odinson

Similar hobbies.

It´s just a funny stereotype.

The mother/wife likes to cook, the males are all chubby...

Anonymous

Similar hobbies.

In some cases that stereotype is true..

Obesity is a big problem in Canada...how about Finland?

Odinson

Mild-overweight here.

Honestly, I have seen only one american burger king-class fatbody here.

Things are going to a better direction since the males have started to get adonis-bodies in increasing numbers.

Women on the other hand are going worse.

Anonymous

Mild-overweight here.

Honestly, I have seen only one american burger king-class fatbody here.

Things are going to a better direction since the males have started to get adonis-bodies in increasing numbers.

Women on the other hand are going worse.

That would explain why you liked what you saw in Asia.