The best topic

Replies: 10372
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:06:46 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Phrases that don't translate so well from your language of choice

Started by shin, July 25, 2016, 10:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

shin

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Renee"I think what you are talking about, translated into English is, for all intents and purposes.... "homosexuality" :laugh3:

Just kidding.....well maybe.  :laugh:

We have some really fruity styles for guys in China too.

I always thought "swag' amongst Chinese men was muted because if taken to a typical Western level it could be overbeaaring. for instance, when was the last time you encountered a Chinese man wearing too much cologne or walking around with several shirt buttons undone on his top garment?

shin

Where my parents are from they speak a form of patois called Criol, not to be confused with Creole.

A lot of the words sound like gibberish to the untrained ear, and would likely be mistaken for Jamaican slang, which is actually another form of patois. Most Caribbean countries have their own spin on it. It can incorporate French and Spanish as well as British English. I'll have to jog my memory for examples...

Well, one that quickly came to mind... If asked if you plan to "run the streets", it means walking a short distance to go several places, and a short distance for them to walk is less than 10 miles.

Renee

Quote from: "shin"
Quote from: "Renee"Growing up in a household where multiple languages were spoken I learned quite a few words that simply do not translate into English well. This is especially true of the modern Gaelic which my dad's side of the family speaks.

The Irish language is the original "Goidelic" language that is spoken in Ireland, Western Scotland and Wales. Although there are differences within the various dialects, it's acknowledged origin is Ireland.  Gaelic is a insular and somewhat unique Celtic language spoken regionally and has very little common ancestry with either the dead Celtic languages of continental Europe, Old English or Middle English. So words and phrases don't always translate well.

Words in Gaelic can and do have multiple and seemingly unrelated meanings when translated.

For example the word  "caob"....common translation is "a clod" or a "lump" but it's Gaelic meaning is more than that.   "Caob " means a shovel full of clay or dirt. It can also mean a fork full of hay, or a layer of something or even a sloppy or untidy person.

The word "tnuthach"...common translation is "envious or jealous" but again it has more meaning than just that. It can also mean "contentious", quarrelsome", "a rival" or in some cases "a bigot".

Those are just two examples that I can think of off the top of my confused head. Gaelic is a very complex and confusing language that depends entirely on vernacular, inflection and useage. It varies in it's verb and noun usage from region to region and from clan to clan. It's difficult to learn and my understanding of it is somewhat limited.

It's my understanding that the Gaelic that I've been exposed to is sort of a mixed bag of dialects. It's almost what is now called "Standard" or "An Caighdean". It was officially adopted in the 1950s and it's taught in Irish schools as a compromise or a bridge between the more common dialects.

That was very informative, Renee.

Have you perchance ever read Canterbury Tales, or Finnegan's Wake? Canterbury Tales was my introduction to Old English prose, even though it's probably more accurately an epic poem. Chaucer's spellings of words I could recognize in their archaic forms (like "gud" or "goode") acted as a springboard for understanding more about etymology. Finnegan's Wake I culd nae maek hed naere teal oof.   :laugh:

Don't feel bad, nobody can read James Joyce.  :laugh3:

I have a theory that he wrote "Finnegan's Wake" as an interior monologue with all it's made up words and nonsensical phrases, just to be a prick and drive people crazy. :laugh3:

Even for someone like me who has a basic limited understanding of Gaelic it's a difficult read. The mixture of odd prose , Gaelic puns, and made up words, create a idiosyncratic mess. :laugh3:

As for Chaucer that's easy....all in all, I think I've read "The Canterbury Tales" about 10 times. Once in HS and again in college as required reading for English lit. Then I skimmed through it countless times again . Basically along with the works of Shakespeare it is required reading for any Renn Faire performer. Most of the "Faire Speak" used by performers and vendors alike at any Renn Faire is patterned after a bastardized use of Chaucer's syntax structure and Shakespearean prose. So consequently I've read or skimmed thru Chaucer many times.

"Fair thee anon"
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"Where my parents are from they speak a form of patois called Criol, not to be confused with Creole.

A lot of the words sound like gibberish to the untrained ear, and would likely be mistaken for Jamaican slang, which is actually another form of patois. Most Caribbean countries have their own spin on it. It can incorporate French and Spanish as well as British English. I'll have to jog my memory for examples...

Well, one that quickly came to mind... If asked if you plan to "run the streets", it means walking a short distance to go several places, and a short distance for them to walk is less than 10 miles.

Jamaican English is difficult for me to understand sometimes..

In Canada, the province of Newfoundland has many distinct dialects..

There is a man from Newfoundland working in my husband's shop..

I can barely make out the meaning of some of their idioms.

shin

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "shin"Where my parents are from they speak a form of patois called Criol, not to be confused with Creole.

Jamaican English is difficult for me to understand sometimes..

In Canada, the province of Newfoundland has many distinct dialects..

There is a man from Newfoundland working in my husband's shop..

I can barely make out the meaning of some of their idioms.

Do the dialects stem from Native cultures?

shin

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Renee"Growing up in a household where multiple languages were spoken I learned quite a few words that simply do not translate into English well. This is especially true of the modern Gaelic which my dad's side of the family speaks.

The Irish language is the original "Goidelic" language that is spoken in Ireland, Western Scotland and Wales. Although there are differences within the various dialects, it's acknowledged origin is Ireland.  Gaelic is a insular and somewhat unique Celtic language spoken regionally and has very little common ancestry with either the dead Celtic languages of continental Europe, Old English or Middle English. So words and phrases don't always translate well.

Words in Gaelic can and do have multiple and seemingly unrelated meanings when translated.

For example the word  "caob"....common translation is "a clod" or a "lump" but it's Gaelic meaning is more than that.   "Caob " means a shovel full of clay or dirt. It can also mean a fork full of hay, or a layer of something or even a sloppy or untidy person.

The word "tnuthach"...common translation is "envious or jealous" but again it has more meaning than just that. It can also mean "contentious", quarrelsome", "a rival" or in some cases "a bigot".

Those are just two examples that I can think of off the top of my confused head. Gaelic is a very complex and confusing language that depends entirely on vernacular, inflection and useage. It varies in it's verb and noun usage from region to region and from clan to clan. It's difficult to learn and my understanding of it is somewhat limited.

It's my understanding that the Gaelic that I've been exposed to is sort of a mixed bag of dialects. It's almost what is now called "Standard" or "An Caighdean". It was officially adopted in the 1950s and it's taught in Irish schools as a compromise or a bridge between the more common dialects.

Have you perchance ever read Canterbury Tales, or Finnegan's Wake? Canterbury Tales was my introduction to Old English prose, even though it's probably more accurately an epic poem. Chaucer's spellings of words I could recognize in their archaic forms (like "gud" or "goode") acted as a springboard for understanding more about etymology. Finnegan's Wake I culd nae maek hed naere teal oof.   :laugh:

I have a theory that he wrote "Finnegan's Wake" as an interior monologue with all it's made up words and nonsensical phrases, just to be a prick and drive people crazy. :laugh3:

Even for someone like me who has a basic limited understanding of Gaelic it's a difficult read. The mixture of odd prose , Gaelic puns, and made up words, create a idiosyncratic mess. :laugh3:

As for Chaucer that's easy....all in all, I think I've read "The Canterbury Tales" about 10 times. Once in HS and again in college as required reading for English lit. Then I skimmed through it countless times again . Basically along with the works of Shakespeare it is required reading for any Renn Faire performer. Most of the "Faire Speak" used by performers and vendors alike at any Renn Faire is patterned after a bastardized use of Chaucer's syntax structure and Shakespearean prose. So consequently I've read or skimmed thru Chaucer many times.

"Fair thee anon"

I got a dude at a Renaissance Fair to break character once. We were talking about the leaf on my Cypress Hill shirt.

Gee, that stuff they sell is overpriced, but it doesn't stop it from selling like hotcakes. I never saw so many peasant dresses being sold before.

Renee

"Fair thee anon"

I got a dude at a Renaissance Fair to break character once. We were talking about the leaf on my Cypress Hill shirt.

Gee, that stuff they sell is overpriced, but it doesn't stop it from selling like hotcakes. I never saw so many peasant dresses being sold before.

Breaking character is really a no-no for a paid performer. Only in certain situations is it allowed. Discussing dope isn't one of them. :laugh3:

I only broke character once in my first season when an extremely drunk guy thru up on me. :beurk:

Yes the stuff is extremely expensive. But as you say it doesn't stop people from buying it. I guess all in total a single out fit that I would wear on any given day was probably over a thousand dollars in garb and accessories. Hell, my 9 button boots were almost $400 alone.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Twenty Dollars

When I lived in Marin. The Faire was right down the street @ Blackpoint. Local families were given passes. Used to send the kids down for a Toad in a Hole.

Anonymous

"Fair thee anon"

Breaking character is really a no-no for a paid performer. Only in certain situations is it allowed. Discussing dope isn't one of them. :laugh3:

I only broke character once in my first season when an extremely drunk guy thru up on me. :beurk:

Yes the stuff is extremely expensive. But as you say it doesn't stop people from buying it. I guess all in total a single out fit that I would wear on any given day was probably over a thousand dollars in garb and accessories. Hell, my 9 button boots were almost $400 alone.

I have never been to a renn fair.

ac_dunno

Renee

Quote from: "Fashionista"

"Fair thee anon"

I have never been to a renn fair.

ac_dunno

Overall I'm not sure you would like it or know what to make of it. They can be a bit overwhelming and confusing to those who don't know what to expect. Be prepared to walk a lot and blush a lot, as they attract well endowed women who aren't shy about showing off what they've got. They come in all shapes, sizes and ages and I guarantee you will be shocked more than a few times during the course of the day. :laugh3:

Unfortunately I'm not sure how popular they are in Canada.

But if you do ever decide to go to one, make sure it's one of the larger more established Faires. Larger Faires attract the best traveling acts, have the best cast members and the best craft and food vendors. It makes the experience more enjoyable. You also get more bang for your buck at the larger faires because there is more to do and see.

Twenty Dollars

It was a blast. All in good fun. It was way risqué  on the wast coast. A couple, the Pattersons invented the whole scene and reinactment. It became real popular. Near my house in Black Point, they held it in a stunted oak Forrest. How much Meade and ale did we consume. I'm sure the rights to the Faire have been sold a few times by now. Huzzah.

Renee

To my knowledge RPFS has been sold twice since the Patterson's owned it. Both of the Patterson's are dead.

Anonymous

I've seen lots of photos from the fairs, but i too have never been to one.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"I've seen lots of photos from the fairs, but i too have never been to one.

It's something that might be fun to see at least once, even if one doesn't have an interest in it.

shin

The jousting and swordfighting are exciting to watch, and like Renee said... lots of big tittied women wearing skimpy dresses with no bras. I've been twice, but haven't seen any fallout, though.

The Bristol Renaissance Fair usually stops by here just north of the border, seemingly in the middle of nowhere.