The best topic

Replies: 10400
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

China'BOXED

Started by Securious, October 07, 2012, 05:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Romero

Quote from: "Securious"You are the sad one pink'Boy, you never have anything to say but tedious droll and oh ......... such terrible  whining, you should have been born a woman/are you gay?...Wake Up Canada!

Romero

Romero

Securious

You know absolutely nothing, never did.... notice the word "Wants" above. You are a cut and paste-up sham, a complete idiot pink'Boy. China is still in negotiations and Idaho is running scared having been  caught with their pants down, putting out dis-info silly'boy.

ignorant twit

Securious

[size=200]Chinese company eyes Boise[/size]

December 31, 2010

ROCKY BARKER  

Pacific Northwest Newspaper Association

As economic power shifts to Asia, Idaho's location makes it a prime site for an industrial foothold.

By ROCKY BARKER — rbarker@idahostatesman.com

A Chinese national company is interested in developing a 10,000- to 30,000-acre technology zone for industry, retail centers and homes south of the Boise Airport. Officials of the China National Machinery Industry Corp. have broached the idea — based on a concept popular in China today — to city and state leaders.They are also interested in helping build and finance a fertilizer plant near American Falls, an idea company officials returned to Idaho this month to pursue.This ambitious, long-term proposal would start with a manufacturing and warehouse zone tied to the airport, and could signify a shift in the economic relationship between the two superpowers — a relationship once defined by U.S. companies like the J.R. Simplot Co., Hewlett-Packard and Morrison-Knudsen that would head to China to build and develop."I think China's coming over here shows they are willing to collaborate on the reinvigoration of the American industrial base," said Jeff Don, CEO of Eagle-based C3, which is acting as an Idaho representative for the Chinese company, called Sinomach for short.Sinomach is just one of an increasing number of companies and investors showing interest in Idaho. Hoku Materials Inc., a subsidiary of a Chinese energy firm, already has 500 people building its $400 million plant to make polysilicon for solar panels in Pocatello. It expects to begin production in 2011, employing 250 people, said Scott Paul, Hoku's president and CEO.China surpassed Japan as the second largest economy in the world in 2010. And in June, Gov. Butch Otter traveled there to tell anyone who would listen that Idaho is open for business.EAST IDAHO PROJECT COULD COME FIRSTSinomach is China's third-largest contractor, with more than $14 billion in sales last year. It has been active in more than 130 countries in Asia, Africa, Latin America, Russia and Eastern Europe as general contractor for large infrastructure and building projects.Sinomach executives told Southeast Idaho Energy, which is planning to build a $2 billion fertilizer plant in Power County, they want the contract for engineering, procurement and construction. Their access to financing is their deal sweetener.Southeast Idaho Energy hopes to turn coal into gas to produce nitrogen fertilizer and sulfur. The company expects to hire 700 to 1,000 people during construction with 150 permanent workers.The company also would separate the carbon dioxide that contributes to climate change and ship it to Wyoming, where it can be pumped underground to enhance the extraction of natural gas.While Otter was in Beijing in June, he spoke about the project with Jin Kening, chairman of the China National Chemical Engineering Corp. — a different government-owned company. Don said Chinese national companies do compete with each other, but won't let their own competition get in the way."Whatever makes the deal go forward," Don said.Doug Sayer, president and CEO of Premier Technology, worked with Otter in Beijing to build long-term relationships with China National. His company could bid on some of the work to build the fertilizer plant."Anything we can do to work toward having good industry opportunities for investment is important whether we get a piece of that work," Sayer said.The state's efforts have been critical to the discussions, said Pat Sullivan, a Boise lobbyist who works with Southeast Idaho Energy."One thing these Chinese see is we have a governor here who has a great big open-door policy, and I think that's making a difference in this Sinomach project," he said.AN UNUSUAL IDEA THAT MAY BECOME COMMONSinomach is not looking only at Idaho. The company sent delegations to Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania this year to talk about setting up research and development bases and industrial parks. It has an interest in electric transmission projects and alternative energy as well. The technology zone proposal follows a model of science, technology and industrial parks in China — often fully contained cities with all services included.But Don and other local supporters have recommended fitting the idea into the kind of planned unit development used for local approval here.Sinomach officials met with Boise city and airport officials — including Mayor Dave Bieter — to discuss developing a first phase for the technology zone that would set up a base of operations for Chinese companies doing business in the United States. City officials were cautious, since the idea is at an early stage."We understand they are at a preliminary stage. We are waiting to hear back from them with a proposal for where they want to go from here," said Cece Gassner, assistant to the mayor for economic development.The proposal could get a boost from this year's voter-approved constitutional amendment that allows the airport to borrow money to build facilities that can be leased to companies on a long-term basis. The airport commission also has the authority to grant long-term leases and landing rights to air carriers, including those from China.Sinomach is not the only Asian company looking at Boise, Gassner said."We're getting calls from investors from all across Asia who are interested in Idaho," she said.Idaho's location, only another 45 minutes farther by air than Seattle from Asia, will open many opportunities, state and local officials said. The state's low cost for doing business will help, too.Sinomach is attracted to Idaho, in part, because of the lack of infrastructure here, which means it has more opportunity."Idaho's the last state that should say we don't want to do business with Asia," said Lt. Gov. Brad Little. "Asia's where the money is."Yeh Ling-Ling, executive director of the Alliance for a Sustainable USA, said U.S. businesses should be cautious about making contracts that give Chinese companies the best jobs — though she is more worried about investment programs that encourage immigration, which Idaho also has jumped into this year. "I believe that Idaho or other American companies should first seek investments from America and employ American engineers first," said Ling-Ling, a naturalized citizen from Orinda, Calif., who was born in Vietnam of Chinese parents.Little, who met with Zhang Chun, director general of Sinomach, and other company officials, said he thinks the state and the company are a good fit. But that doesn't mean the state won't stick up for its own interests."We're sure not going to favor a Chinese company over an Idaho company," Little said.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/12/31/1472023/chinese-company-eyes-boise.html#storylink=cpy">http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/12/3 ... rylink=cpy">http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/12/31/1472023/chinese-company-eyes-boise.html#storylink=cpy

Romero

Quote from: "Securious"You know absolutely nothing, never did.... notice the word "Wants" above. You are a cut and paste-up sham, a complete idiot pink'Boy. China is still in negotiations and Idaho is running scared having been  caught with their pants down, putting out dis-info silly'boy.

ignorant twit

Here's some more cut and paste for ya:

Quote from: "Securious"Whole cities are being constructed for this invasion/Canada NEXT!

You claimed cities are being constructed but you're wrong. No cities are being constructed. No cities are being planned.

The development project south of Boise isn't happening. No land has been bought, nothing is being constructed, and there hasn't even been any discussion or negotiations in two years.

Securious

Thats what you said 2 years ago when I warned everyone about Chinese foreign workers being sent over to take Canadian jobs in the rfesource sector, now who was right-you nope'a'dope, you or me!....you are soo naive fluffy'pinkness. Of course there are talks continuing silly boy. The Boise bunch simply are running scared right now as any politician might now they are in the headlights and its hurting their public image. You do buy crap don't you. Live in your pink fluffy world/don't worry be happy...The Chinese don't lie do they...LOL

Look what's going to happen with our TV Broadcasting next! In ur face pink'Boy.

," he said, referring to a longstanding practice on CCTV of allotting screen time to officials according to their standing in the Party. The more airtime officials receive the more in favor they're seen to be. The young journalists would then trek out to the border between Hong Kong and China and look longingly across. "I remember thinking," said Laurie, "'shit, why can't I be in there?'"

A few years after winning a Peabody Award for his reporting for NBC in Vietnam in 1975, Laurie landed in Beijing as one of the city's first Western correspondents in decades. In 1989, when students began gathering in Tiananmen Square, ABC sent Laurie, who was then chief of its Moscow bureau, back to Beijing to cover the protests.

In the late morning hours of June 5, 1989, after witnessing soldiers shoot at dozens of civilians as they fled for safety in and around Tiananmen Square, Laurie and a camerawoman turned down a side street. In the crowd they spotted a tall man in a sport coat named Xiao Bin, frantically ranting about what he had witnessed and overheard from others. "The bastards killed thousands!" said the man, a factory worker from the northern city of Dalian, when they interviewed him. "Tanks ran over people. Crushing them." While no official death tally exists, estimates of the dead, including soldiers, now range from the hundreds to the thousands. Laurie told his camerawoman he thought Xiao was exaggerating. "She said, 'yes, but it's awfully good television.' I said 'you're right,'" Laurie recounted.

As Chinese officials rushed to cover up the events of the previous night, Laurie and his colleague managed to send their footage to Hong Kong for transmission by satellite to ABC's studios in New York. But somehow, someone in Beijing was watching.

"The Chinese -- and its unclear to me this day how they actually did it -- intercepted the outgoing signal," said Laurie. The unencrypted signal from Hong Kong had been hijacked. Around the time that ABC's audiences in New York listened to Xiao Bin's testimony, so did 200 million Chinese viewers of CCTV, with a subtitle underneath], adopt some and not adopt others."

Despite the challenges, a tough economy with dwindling prospects for television journalists can make the attraction of a job at a place like CCTV hard to resist. Western staff at CCTV like Laurie and Makori have been lured by the promise of highly competitive salaries, bigger responsibilities, and ample resources for travel and production. And it's a chance to be on the ground floor of China's first big foray into Western media.

"China is the emerging/emerged superpower, so it was a no-brainer for me," Makori explained after a taping of her show in April at the NASDAQ site in Times Square. A few blocks away, the square's tallest billboard was cycling through a bucolic slideshow of Chinese landscapes -- an advertisement for Xinhua, the state-owned wire service that's another beneficiary of Beijing's media push.

"It's like getting on the ground floor of Facebook or Google. You already know that China's going to be a huge player," she said. "It's exciting, it's innovative. China's obviously pegged to be one of the global leaders, if not the global leader. So for me as a journalist to develop expertise in China, that's not a bad career move."

Makori told me that even though Chinese editors in Washington and Beijing vetted all stories, censorship was not an explicit policy, and said she was surprised that her reporting on more sensitive issues, like trade disputes, hadn't been a problem.

"Honestly, a part of me thought that these would be taboo topics, but on the contrary, we highlight them," said Makori, in her light South African accent. "We really try to have a balanced view of both sides, but we make sure to also show the Chinese side of the story." Asked if there were omissions, she said that editorial freedom was greater at CCTV than at a previous employer, SABC, South Africa's state broadcaster. "I can tell you that CCTV, in my experience, has not been controlling at all from an editorial point of view, from a content point of view -- certainly not more so than any other news channel that I've worked at."

Nina Donaghy, who left her job as a reporter at the BBC to work as the network's Washington correspondent, insisted that her coverage was not done "in coordination" with Beijing. "Otherwise I wouldn't be here, frankly. With my kind of background, I wouldn't."

Censorship isn't the network's only challenge. Distribution remains a hurdle. While CCTV already has greater reach in the United States than Al Jazeera, finding the channel on your television can be difficult, and the network hasn't generated much buzz among viewers or critics. Like some other foreign broadcasters in the United States, there are no public ratings for CCTV America. Its clunky, often poorly translated website occasionally descends into accidental comedy ("Egypt's Mubarak in comma, but 'not clinically dead'" [sic]), and its live stream is often broken. It was only after Barbara Dury's lobbying, she said, that CCTV agreed in June to launch its first channel on YouTube -- a service, she noted with a chuckle, that's banned in China.

Laurie is hoping to solve CCTV's distribution problem in the United States by getting the channel into hotel rooms, a tactic that helped CNN gained traction among business travelers during the 1990s. For now, the hopes of CCTV America's journalists are pinned on emulating the success of that upstart from Qatar. "I remember when Al Jazeera started, people called it 'the terror network,''' said Walter. "But now, years later, they're producing really quality stuff that's being recognized. That's what I hope for CCTV. I think it will just get better."

Still, CCTV's Western employees are taking their new jobs in stride. Donaghy complained that the CCTV label can be an annoying liability. "You get some comments. Running from, 'I'm sure you're paid a fortune!' to 'Do you speak Chinese?'" When The Heat host Mike Walter, a former anchor at the CBS affiliate in Washington, interviewed for his CCTV job, the station's chief Ma began by reading him a newspaper report skeptical of the new network. "The argument was, it's basically going to be a puppet for the Chinese government, basically a propaganda instrument, and she said, 'what do you think of that?'" recounted Walter. "I said, 'obviously it was a concern of mine. I don't want me working for CCTV to change the circuitry in my brain.'"

"Personally, I think their mission is to learn as much as they can," said Donaghy. "And to open up, and to look to the United States to see how to run an international cable network. They're very open. It's very early days yet."

Being on the ground floor also means the chance to do good reporting on topics that can't offend government sensibilities -- and, perhaps, on topics that might. "The wall is always shifting," said Walter, whose TV anchor affability seems to belie an eagerness to probe some boundaries. "It's always good to bump up against a wall and see how strong it is, and whether there's some softness. I think we are going to chart new territories."

With broader distribution, the network may have a chance to woo audiences in Latin America and Africa, where television reporting has dwindled in recent years. To make inroads in the United States, CCTV will continue to focus on business stories, coupled with a greater emphasis on cultural documentaries about Chinese history, culture, and nature -- programming that projects a "cute" image of the country, says Ying, the media scholar. As for its news content, "CCTV won't change until the government changes."

Marash, Al Jazeera English's first American anchor, cautioned against writing off the network just yet. If it can manage to loose itself of Beijing's grip, gain wider distribution, and sway audiences with marquee interviews and exclusive coverage of the Chinese economy, for instance, it might find a foothold on Wall Street, if not on Capitol Hill. "And it's almost certainly going to get better."

But Walter said that pushing the envelope, even a little bit, was a challenge for the network's newest journalists, and for the Chinese producers who serve as a middleman with Beijing.

"You got all these Western journalists who want to push this further, and then you work with the other side which says, 'wait, don't push too much.' They have to find a happy balance and operate within these confines. That's not easy."

"American journalists have the attitude that it's better to ask forgiveness rather than permission," added Walter. "In China, it's better to ask permission than forgiveness. We've run headlong into that. The approach is very different. It's something that will be a struggle here."

Securious

no platform is left unturned to gain access to our shores/5th column you say/of course silly.Wake Up Canada

Securious

The CRTC are presently dealing with such [claims] for broadcasting from China within Canada. Now tell everyone this is incorrect too......boy

You say it wont happen....LOL

http://peoplesprovincechina.wordpress.com/future/">http://peoplesprovincechina.wordpress.com/future/

..now run back and cry your eyes out on the "other" so called "forum"...piss off

Securious

QWERTY, you queer duck, if your mooching about here with ur tail between ur legs here's more insult to injury. Take this and shove it.

The New American

4/10/2012

Joe Wolverton II

Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2012

7:35:10 AM, by IbJensen

Disregarding the concerns of many in his party and many of the citizens who elected him, Idaho Governor Butch Otter is headed back to China to continue courting the world's largest communist regime and second largest economy.

The Republican Governor's junket scheduled for April 14-21 comes on the heels of a resolution passed by the Idaho Republican Party casting doubt on the true purpose behind Otter's cozying up to the Chinese government.

Schmoozing with communists is nothing new for Governor Otter. In June 2010, he attended meetings in Beijing and Shanghai, extolling the economic virtues of his state and enticing the wealthy Chinese businessmen (agents of the government that owns the majority of those businesses) to invest in his state. He assured his comrades that Idaho stood ready to give them carte blanche to import men and money to the state.

The Governor made the Chinese government an offer it couldn't refuse. A coalition of representatives of the Department of Commerce and influential Idaho businessmen allowed the Chinese to invest $500,000 in a gold mine and another $500,000 in a resort. The payoff? Green cards for the Chinese officials and their families.

Flush from the success of this transaction, 120 Chinese millionaires pooled their money and placed $60 million in an escrow account to be used to create jobs for their families (along with the highly valued immigration documents). As soon as the jobs and green cards are ready, the Chinese will release the money and head to Idaho.

Apparently, Governor Otter likes the taste of the water he draws from the Chinese well. So, bucket in hand, he's heading back. Otter's April itinerary includes a return visit to his friends in Shanghai and Beijing, as well as a trip to Chengdu, a city of 11 million people situated over 1,000 miles inland.

What can Idahoans expect to gain from this latest trip to China? Let's review what happened last time, beyond the deals already described.

After the trip to Shanghai last year, Otter initiated a plan to facilitate Chinese investment in the Gem State called Project 60. The details of the scheme reveal that in a very real, though indirect, manner Governor Butch Otter is opening the door to the gradual invasion of his state by undocumented Chinese "workers."

In very unclear terms, one of the principal planks of the Project 60 platform is known as "Inward Foreign Direct Investment." As laid out on the Project 60 website, this portion of the plan will increase Idaho's role "in global business" by providing foreign industry with "a strong impetus to economic development."

The "impetus" is a two-pronged attack on Idaho's domestic workforce (read: the middle class). First, through Project 60, foreign business interests are encouraged to take advantage of favorable national immigration laws.

Specifically, "The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service administers an immigrant investor visa program called EB-5. The program grants foreigners permanent U.S. residency in exchange for helping create U.S. jobs." This prong will facilitate the immigration of Chinese nationals into the United States for the purpose of establishing a Chinese industrial beachhead in Idaho, under the guise of creating U.S. jobs.

The second phase involves the granting of tax breaks to the foreign companies. In exchange for an investment of between $500,000 and $1 million (depending on whether the target zone is rural or urban, respectively), the foreign investor receives tax incentives.

All of this, when read in the context of Chinese divestment of 97 percent of its U.S. Treasury bills over the past two years, paints a very vulgar picture of a Governor of one of the sovereign states sacrificing the freedom of his citizens on the altar of "foreign investment." Whether he understands the full implications of his pecuniary policies is immaterial. The irrefutable fact is that the Chinese understand them perfectly well and are all too pleased to take advantage of the Governor's greed.

As for the full effect of these relations, only time will tell. Consider though, that the oppressive Chinese regime, by wisely divesting itself of American Treasury securities, can take advantage of our federal system (the co-existence of two equal sovereignties) and keep its fingers in American pies by establishing powerful outposts in the 50 states, thus bypassing the chokehold held over the national economy by the bust/boom cycle perpetuated by the Federal Reserve.

Put simply, Idaho (and reportedly other states, as well) are offering the Chinese a way to dump their useless Treasury bonds without sacrificing the strength of their clamp on the economic pipeline of American industry.

The specifics of the wheeling and dealing between Idaho's state government and their Chinese counterparts are unclear with a few exceptions. What is known is that "top Idaho officials have been traveling to China and entertaining the Chinese here, in order to help facilitate this."

The result of these junkets? American Falls, Idaho, may soon be home to a Chinese-owned fertilizer plant. A significant swathe of land south of Boise (about 30,000 acres) was bought by China, a purchase Idaho's Governor promises will "reinvigorate our American industrial base."

Regarding the purpose of his upcoming Chinese mission, the Governor did not return the call made to his office by The New American, but his Press Secretary, Jon Hanian, has made his boss's intentions very clear. "The Governor is a staunch advocate of growing our business relationships with all of our current international trading partners and in cultivating relationships with new ones," Hanian said. "That is one of the ways we create more jobs in Idaho."

The Director of the Idaho Department of Commerce, Jeff Sayer, echoes Hanian's sentiments. "Increasing international exports and attracting investment capital remain top priorities for the Department of Commerce," he said. "Each of these steps are critical strategies to advance Idaho's economy to $60 billion."

As reported above, the Governor is so committed to courting communists that he is ignoring the express wishes of his own party that he "cease further foreign-based corporate development of a 'Free Trade Zone' and approximately 60,000 acres in Idaho."

In response to the resolution, Otter chided his constituency for their naiveté, observing, "Given what they're reading, they are rightfully concerned. But what they are reading is in some cases nonsense."

Some of that "nonsense" was an article written last year by this reporter exposing Otter's questionable dealings with China.

"Nobody is a stronger, more consistent defender of our Idaho sovereignty than me, from all threats, whether it's a foreign influence or a federal agency here at home," Otter continued.

Despite the Governor's reassurances of his patriotism, some state Republican lawmakers are not persuaded. "People are still concerned about the China issue," said State Senator Sheryl Nuxoll (R- Cottonwood). Senator Nuxoll prefers that Idaho accept no investment by Chinese companies in her state. "They do not share the same principles and values we do," she explained.

According to those supporting Otter's latest mission to China, on this latest mission to China the Governor is "selling groceries," something that comes easily to the former international executive for J.R. Simplot Company, a frozen food processing firm based in Boise.

Critics of the plan hope that this time, for the sake of the citizens of Idaho, Governor Otter really is selling the Chinese groceries rather than green cards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: IbJensen

Crap. I think half of Idaho is over here in North Dakota working now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: IbJensen

Specifically, "The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service administers an immigrant investor visa program called EB-5. The program grants foreigners permanent U.S. residency in exchange for helping create U.S. jobs." This prong will facilitate the immigration of Chinese nationals into the United States for the purpose of establishing a Chinese industrial beachhead in Idaho, under the guise of creating U.S. jobs. The second phase involves the granting of tax breaks to the foreign companies. In exchange for an investment of between $500,000 and $1 million (depending on whether the target zone is rural or urban, respectively), the foreign investor receives tax incentives.

This "business opportunity" is courtesy of the federal government.

Vancouver

Never forget the brave Chinese men and soldiers who fought for their country against the Japanese.
Time is malleable

Romero

Quote from: "Securious"QWERTY, you queer duck, if your mooching about here with ur tail between ur legs here's more insult to injury. Take this and shove it.

Disregarding the concerns of many in his party and many of the citizens who elected him, Idaho Governor Butch Otter is headed back to China to continue courting the world's largest communist regime and second largest economy.

Just like Prime Minister Harper.

There still aren't any Chinese cities being constructed or planned.

Romero

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"Never forget the brave Chinese men and soldiers who fought for their country against the Japanese.

QuotePrime Minister Stephen Harper marks Remembrance Day in Hong Kong

Among the veterans and other dignitaries who attended the ceremony was the family of Lt. Cmdr. William Lore.

Lore, born in Victoria, B.C., in 1909, was the first Canadian of Chinese heritage to serve in the Royal Canadian Navy and also the first Chinese officer any any Commonwealth navy.

As a sub-lieutenant, he led the liberation of Japanese prisoner-of-war camp here in 1945.

Lore recently passed away in Hong Kong at the age of 103.

"It is especially appropriate that we should remember his service to Canada today," Harper said.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/11/11/stephen-harper-marks-remembrance-day-in-hong-kong">//http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/11/11/stephen-harper-marks-remembrance-day-in-hong-kong

Anonymous

Romero

Hi, Fashionista!  :D