Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

How US Government Aid Prevents American Indians From Prospering

Started by Anonymous, February 15, 2017, 11:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Gotta love John Stossel. How about it Scouse? Don't ya luv this Jew.

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ4lnDy2xnQ

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"Gotta love John Stossel. How about it Scouse? Don't ya luv this Jew.

That is one just one band. John Stossel has become a more ideological libertarian over the years, so I will take it with a pinch of salt.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't believe in forcing dependence. That's not how people thrive.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Shen Li"Gotta love John Stossel. How about it Scouse? Don't ya luv this Jew.

That is one just one band. John Stossel has become a more ideological libertarian over the years, so I will take it with a pinch of salt.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't believe in forcing dependence. That's not how people thrive.
It's like that in Canada too and worse. The Conservative government wanted to bring in reforms that would force band councils to reveal payroll and most importantly allow private property on reserves. Sadly, overpaid one percenter Native chiefs have no interest in either and the auto reaction from the left was racism.

The entire Indian industry in North America benefits a few very well, but most people not at all. I believe this issue will come to a head some day as immigrants are less likely to sit back and accept that some people should have certain privileges based solely on their ethnicity.

RW

I was just talking about this a couple days ago...

We really haven't figured out the native issues.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

QuoteI believe this issue will come to a head some day as immigrants are less likely to sit back and accept that some people should have certain privileges based solely on their ethnicity.

But, as you posted yourself, Aboriginals are also denied some fundamental rights, at least on reserve land that we all take for granted.

RW

QuoteI believe this issue will come to a head some day as immigrants are less likely to sit back and accept that some people should have certain privileges based solely on their ethnicity.

But, as you posted yourself, Aboriginals are also denied some fundamental rights, at least on reserve land that we all take for granted.

Rights such as...?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"

Rights such as...?

I suppose the most obvious one would be the right to live where they want.

RW

Rights such as...?

They can live where ever they want though.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Rights such as...?

Not on reserve land they can't.

QuoteFirst Nations people cannot own land on reserves. Property is held in trust by councils for the government. However, some communities have a limited form of individual property ownership known as a certificate of possession.

Off reserve, owning a home is not a big deal. It's actually an expectation. On reserve, lotteries determine who gets a home. It becomes a political football

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/allowing-private-home-ownership-on-reserves-could-be-key-to-improving-well-being-for-natives-report">http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... ves-report">http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/allowing-private-home-ownership-on-reserves-could-be-key-to-improving-well-being-for-natives-report

RW

Land ownership is not a requirement to freedom of mobility.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Land ownership is not a requirement to freedom of mobility.

On a reserve it sure as hell is. You don't get to live where you want. The band council decides that for you. If you give a good hummer, the chief will see to it you have a cozy home. If not, you're SOL.

There are some good reserves like the one in Saskatoon, but for the most part they are corrupt as hell. And the corrupt ones have chiefs who don't want those they rule owning their own land.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"

Rights such as...?

Not on reserve land they can't.

QuoteFirst Nations people cannot own land on reserves. Property is held in trust by councils for the government. However, some communities have a limited form of individual property ownership known as a certificate of possession.

Off reserve, owning a home is not a big deal. It's actually an expectation. On reserve, lotteries determine who gets a home. It becomes a political football

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/allowing-private-home-ownership-on-reserves-could-be-key-to-improving-well-being-for-natives-report">http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... ves-report">http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/allowing-private-home-ownership-on-reserves-could-be-key-to-improving-well-being-for-natives-report

I could not imagine not being allowed to own my own house..

Even China allows private property ownership and where one can live..

It is hard to believe there are places in Canada that don't.

RW

Quote from: "Herman"

On a reserve it sure as hell is. You don't get to live where you want. The band council decides that for you. If you give a good hummer, the chief will see to it you have a cozy home. If not, you're SOL.

There are some good reserves like the one in Saskatoon, but for the most part they are corrupt as hell. And the corrupt ones have chiefs who don't want those they rule owning their own land.

And my grandma didn't get to live in the corner suite at her old age home because Delores Middleton got assigned it instead.

The point is that they don't have to live on the reserve ergo they have the same freedoms the rest of us do.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

And my grandma didn't get to live in the corner suite at her old age home because Delores Middleton got assigned it instead.

The point is that they don't have to live on the reserve ergo they have the same freedoms the rest of us do.

A ridiculous apples and oranges comparison.

What do you have against Aboriginals being emancipated from the paternalism of the Indian Act? Throughout their history indigenous peoples have had a diverse set of individual property rights. Many of these rights, however, were taken away by the Crown without their consent. We're talking about restoring those rights and allowing them to share in the Canadian dream in their own communities.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"

A ridiculous apples and oranges comparison.

What do you have against Aboriginals being emancipated from the paternalism of the Indian Act? Throughout their history indigenous peoples have had a diverse set of individual property rights. Many of these rights, however, were taken away by the Crown without their consent. We're talking about restoring those rights and allowing them to share in the Canadian dream in their own communities.

Seems very reasonable to me..

A lot of us non Aboriginal Canadians are unaware that private ownership is not permitted on Aboriginal lands.