News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

And people wonder why we have a health care problem.....

Started by Obvious Li, April 30, 2013, 10:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Obvious Li

[size=150]Nurse earns over $315,000 by working overtime[/size]

By Heloise Archambault, QMI Agency

MONTREAL — A part-time nurse at a Montreal hospital has earned over $315,000 in the past year through overtime and bonuses, raising questions about workloads, staffing and hospital spending priorities.

The nurse at Jean-Talon hospital made $315,284.18 in the 2011-12 fiscal year, QMI Agency has learned.

That's nearly twice the salary of her hospital's CEO and considerably more than Quebec Premier Pauline Marois, who makes $177,000 a year.

The nurse's base salary is $73,391.30, but she made nearly $155,000 in overtime plus almost $87,000 in bonuses and benefits.

Quebec's main health-care workers' union said the hours are outrageous.

"It's not possible, I'm concerned about the health of that person," said FIQ president Regine Laurent.

The nurse and her bosses refused to grant interviews to QMI Agency. The head of the Jean-Talon hospital nurses' union said the overtime pay works out to 16-hour days.

The hospital said it has little choice but to pay out overtime since 40 nursing positions are currently unfilled.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"[size=150]Nurse earns over $315,000 by working overtime[/size]

By Heloise Archambault, QMI Agency

MONTREAL — A part-time nurse at a Montreal hospital has earned over $315,000 in the past year through overtime and bonuses, raising questions about workloads, staffing and hospital spending priorities.

The nurse at Jean-Talon hospital made $315,284.18 in the 2011-12 fiscal year, QMI Agency has learned.

That's nearly twice the salary of her hospital's CEO and considerably more than Quebec Premier Pauline Marois, who makes $177,000 a year.

The nurse's base salary is $73,391.30, but she made nearly $155,000 in overtime plus almost $87,000 in bonuses and benefits.

Quebec's main health-care workers' union said the hours are outrageous.

"It's not possible, I'm concerned about the health of that person," said FIQ president Regine Laurent.

The nurse and her bosses refused to grant interviews to QMI Agency. The head of the Jean-Talon hospital nurses' union said the overtime pay works out to 16-hour days.

The hospital said it has little choice but to pay out overtime since 40 nursing positions are currently unfilled.

That nurse's base salary seems a bit low...about $36 per hour.

Vancouver

I think it's fair cause they are short on nurses. Basically instead of paying for two extra nurses the money goes to this one nurse who dedicate her time on working long hours.
Time is malleable

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"I think it's fair cause they are short on nurses. Basically instead of paying for two extra nurses the money goes to this one nurse who dedicate her time on working long hours.

She sounds like a workaholic nurse. We have to compete to retain good nurses with places like California and Florida. High salaries and bonuses are worth to keep A-1 health care professionals.

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheVancouverGuy"I think it's fair cause they are short on nurses. Basically instead of paying for two extra nurses the money goes to this one nurse who dedicate her time on working long hours.

I feel the same as you about nurse wages VancouverGuy.

Obvious Li

you guys are nuts......the best nurse in the world is worth about 75k per year

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"you guys are nuts......the best nurse in the world is worth about 75k per year

You believe in letting the market dictate don't you?

Obvious Li

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Obvious Li"you guys are nuts......the best nurse in the world is worth about 75k per year

if we had fair markets yes.....but govt unions are anything but a "market" ...for 50 years they have blackmailed the govt into exorbitant wage and benefit contracts......nothing even close to what a normal market would dictate...govt. unions are evil and should be disbanded

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"

if we had fair markets yes.....but govt unions are anything but a "market" ...for 50 years they have blackmailed the govt into exorbitant wage and benefit contracts......nothing even close to what a normal market would dictate...govt. unions are evil and should be disbanded

I haven't received exorbitant wage increases and I don't think me doing my job is evil..

Back to the op, I don't see what is wrong with a nurse working as much overtime as they want as long as it does not affect the quality of their work.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Fashionista"

I haven't received exorbitant wage increases and I don't think me doing my job is evil..

Back to the op, I don't see what is wrong with a nurse working as much overtime as they want as long as it does not affect the quality of their work.

do you really think a nurse with a three year certificate should be paid more than the Prime Minister...Corporate CEO's, ministers of the crown, judges, rodeo clowns, pole dancers or high class hookers.......................ya right

Anonymous

do you really think a nurse with a three year certificate should be paid more than the Prime Minister...Corporate CEO's, ministers of the crown, judges, rodeo clowns, pole dancers or high class hookers.......................ya right

Obvious Li, my husband is a master electrician and a few of them are making $250,000 per year or more with overtime..

Some that are self-employed make over $1,000,000 annually.

Obvious Li

Obvious Li, my husband is a master electrician and a few of them are making $250,000 per year or more with overtime..

oh oh..that makes you guys 1%'ers...you should be ashamed.....and worried you might be a occupy target........tsk tsk

Anonymous

oh oh..that makes you guys 1%'ers...you should be ashamed.....and worried you might be a occupy target........tsk tsk

Fash is too modest; she underestimates herself.

Odinson

No wonder they say that there´s big money in america...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"

No wonder they say that there´s big money in america...

I think location is key to making money in the trades.