The best topic

Replies: 10483
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 02:40:50 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Flynn

Blazor

Started by Anonymous, March 16, 2017, 10:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 38 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SCOUSE"I was under the impression that graphic designers are well paid here in the UK. It was never an option for me though, I'm terrible at art work!

As Bricktop wrote, I  thought it was a dying job too.

Blazor

Quote from: "Angry White Male"
Have you considered freelancing?

A couple of guys on a couple of ground crews that I regularly work with do just this...  They'll pick up some freelance weekend work, most likely for cash money off the books, I would imagine.

Also consider employers, which may not be so easy to switch around to if one is in a small town (the reason I stay in the big shitty for now), but I can speak from first-hand experience that there are a few employers left that pay properly, although not many...  Unionized is generally best, if you can get in.

I have! Actually I was about to come up with my own business right before the bottom fell out back in 2008. Everything around this area suddenly went downhill. So I didnt pursue it. I was doing freelance work for a big company here, through a friend. But that company got bought out, and they had their own graphic team. I was making an extra $3k a year doing that.

Also, this area when it dried up back in 2008, so did advertising funds, so that a lot of companies are not spending the dough on advertising since budgets are cut. Any place (thats left) around here that employs designers hold on to the ones they have. Very rare I see any hiring, and when they do, they get swarmed, and dont pay properly. I work at one of the last commercial printing companies from Lynchburg VA to Bristol Tennessee. Printing is folding up. Still have some of the quick copy shops, but they pay even less.

It feels like since Trump got elected, that there may be some hope for this area. But its a slow heal for sure.

I live in a railroad town, Obama killed it with his regulations. Even Norfolk & Southern moved their corporate facility to Northern Virginia I think, and our local paper even moved to Lynchburg. Plus some other big companies. A lot of jobs are leaving here, at least were over the past 10 years.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Blazor

Quote from: "Bricktop"Blazor is a graphic designer...a dying industry as other factors diminish demand for that type of skill. When I managed a media company, we had designers coming in weekly looking for a job. The university was churning out far more than the industry required, and good kids had no opportunity.

You're right, use to be an in demand job, til everyone started doing it. Now we are paid less, at least around here. Printing is folding up. Web is in, but Im behind on that. Things have changed since last I done it.

Blazor

Quote from: "SCOUSE"I was under the impression that graphic designers are well paid here in the UK. It was never an option for me though, I'm terrible at art work!

I make $15 an hour...... for the past 8 years. No raise.

10 years ago, for this area, it was suppose to be $18 an hour as a beginner, $21 for intermediate and $25 for advanced. But no one wants to pay that! Im on the intermediate level. Been doing it for almost 14 years now.

In Seattle I hear pay is REAL good. And they are in demand there.

I took a lot of art in school, I've always liked art. Back then was before computer stuff, and I figured I would never make any money at it til computer stuff came out.

Wondering if I need to find a new trade.

Blazor

Quote from: "Fashionista"
As Bricktop wrote, I  thought it was a dying job too.

Sure feels like it lol.

Aryan

Quote from: "Blazor"

10 years ago, for this area, it was suppose to be $18 an hour as a beginner, $21 for intermediate and $25 for advanced. But no one wants to pay that! Im on the intermediate level. Been doing it for almost 14 years now.

I took a lot of art in school, I've always liked art. Back then was before computer stuff, and I figured I would never make any money at it til computer stuff came out.

It's never too late fella.......

I dunno what it's like in the US but here mass immigration has driven the wage down in just about every line of work. The Polish will happily work minimum wage and send the money home and employers know this so they aren't exactly obliged to pay wages which are in line with the cost of living.

Anonymous

I would find a new occupation if I was in your position.

Blazor

Quote from: "SCOUSE"

It's never too late fella.......

I dunno what it's like in the US but here mass immigration has driven the wage down in just about every line of work. The Polish will happily work minimum wage and send the money home and employers know this so they aren't exactly obliged to pay wages which are in line with the cost of living.

For a new trade? Oh I know, just dont know what to do. Was debating being an electrician. Bartender pays good, but mostly on the weekend. Im not going back to pizza delivery, they done fucked that up for the drivers.

Here it all depends on where you live. Like here in Virginia alone, wages are high in the Northern part of the state (lots of liberals) and they are the same as over 10 years ago here in the Southwest part of the state... though everything has at least doubled since then cost of living wise.

Wish I could at least get a cost of living increase here. Especially since Im doing the work of the one guy that quit. And the girl before me made $18.

For the most part I like doing this kind of work, though I get tired of sitting sometimes.

I do operate a big digital press here too.

Blazor

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"

Thats what its looking like, though I dont know what to do.

Hell, my son, makes as much as me, working at Walmart. Thats after you take out taxes and the gas I spend going back and forth and my hours (35).

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"

Thats what its looking like, though I dont know what to do.

Hell, my son, makes as much as me, working at Walmart. Thats after you take out taxes and the gas I spend going back and forth and my hours (35).

If you were a little younger, I would suggest becoming an indentured apprentice working towards journeyman papers..

But, in Canada few employers take indentured apprentices over the age of thirty five.

Blazor

Quote from: "Fashionista"
If you were a little younger, I would suggest becoming an indentured apprentice working towards journeyman papers..

But, in Canada few employers take indentured apprentices over the age of thirty five.

Towards any trade? That sounds cool.

Oh, my son had renewed his interest in becoming a police officer again. Hes thinking of doing that when he turns 21 next year.

Angry White Male

It's tough all over.  I have a buddy that works as a sign maker, and his pay isn't that great.  One of the reasons for this is that everything has become computerized and automated, so there's not as much 'talent' involved as there once was.  I had a guy hand paint my company name on my truck, and that wasn't cheap.  Most guys just get a shop to print a vinyl decal and they stick that on.  Much cheaper, and any shop could make them.  Same with grave stones too...  Nobody actually chisels away stone anymore...  design is simply entered into computer, and machine cuts it perfectly every time!

Most people I know here are also living paycheque to paycheque.  Even earning, say, double the minimum wage doesn't leave much left over, as cost of living in the big city is high.

Blazor

Quote from: "Angry White Male"It's tough all over.  I have a buddy that works as a sign maker, and his pay isn't that great.  One of the reasons for this is that everything has become computerized and automated, so there's not as much 'talent' involved as there once was.  I had a guy hand paint my company name on my truck, and that wasn't cheap.  Most guys just get a shop to print a vinyl decal and they stick that on.  Much cheaper, and any shop could make them.  Same with grave stones too...  Nobody actually chisels away stone anymore...  design is simply entered into computer, and machine cuts it perfectly every time!

Most people I know here are also living paycheque to paycheque.  Even earning, say, double the minimum wage doesn't leave much left over, as cost of living in the big city is high.

Everything you say is true!

Angry White Male

A lot of the old skills are dying out...  I've had people run their fingers over my hand painted door lettering.  It has depth and character, something that vinyl can never have.  When people want to touch it, you know it's a rare thing of the past.

Now anyone with a few minutes of training and basic computer skills can easily print out a decal!

Angry White Male

I'd have to look at the bill, but I think that guy charged me almost $100/hour for that lettering!