The best topic

Replies: 10487
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 01:28:03 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Blazor

Started by Anonymous, March 16, 2017, 10:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 31 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Blazor

So.... I got that job if I want it. Its half as far as my other job, but its still the same pay. Lil different work though, I'll mostly be loading paper into several machines. No kind of computer related work, or graphic design. Sounds kinda boring in a way. Be less Blazor too. BUT, I'll have a job when my current one closes down. Something tells me this aint the right job, and also something tells me "responsibilities". I could get unemployment til I find something better when I get laid off, but thats a big if on if I do find something better. Sigh. I told him I would let him know on Monday. Some voices keep saying "take it", the others "I dont know man".
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Bricktop

Dude, a step backwards looks horrible on a resume.

Don't ever sell yourself short for short term gain. It's a looooooong road back to credibility to get back into your true craft.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"So.... I got that job if I want it. Its half as far as my other job, but its still the same pay. Lil different work though, I'll mostly be loading paper into several machines. No kind of computer related work, or graphic design. Sounds kinda boring in a way. Be less Blazor too. BUT, I'll have a job when my current one closes down. Something tells me this aint the right job, and also something tells me "responsibilities". I could get unemployment til I find something better when I get laid off, but thats a big if on if I do find something better. Sigh. I told him I would let him know on Monday. Some voices keep saying "take it", the others "I dont know man".

I believe a sure thing is better than a maybe..

You can keep looking for new opportunities even if you do accept this position.

Blazor

Quote from: "Bricktop"Dude, a step backwards looks horrible on a resume.

Don't ever sell yourself short for short term gain. It's a looooooong road back to credibility to get back into your true craft.

I see what you mean, didnt think of it like that. Hmmmmmmmmm, another thing to think about lol. I hadnt planned on looking anywhere til things went down in January, this one popped up out of the blue. Figured I would submit my resume and see what the pay and job was. Kinda knew on the job, but didnt know totally.

Blazor

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Blazor"So.... I got that job if I want it. Its half as far as my other job, but its still the same pay. Lil different work though, I'll mostly be loading paper into several machines. No kind of computer related work, or graphic design. Sounds kinda boring in a way. Be less Blazor too. BUT, I'll have a job when my current one closes down. Something tells me this aint the right job, and also something tells me "responsibilities". I could get unemployment til I find something better when I get laid off, but thats a big if on if I do find something better. Sigh. I told him I would let him know on Monday. Some voices keep saying "take it", the others "I dont know man".

I believe a sure thing is better than a maybe..

You can keep looking for new opportunities even if you do accept this position.

This is true too. I hate changing jobs.

Anonymous

Is it really a step back?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

He won't be using his graphic design skills.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Herman"

He won't be using his graphic design skills.

In that case, the job is just a paycheque. Like BT said, it will not help him when opportunity comes around that does require his skills.

Blazor

I wound up passing out at 9:00 last night, just wanted a quick nap since I was so drained. Woke at 2am with my clothes and shoes still on thinking wtf lol. Then laid down again, and got up at 10:30 this morning. Longest rest I've had in a long time. It was all choppy, but still rest.

Thanks for bringing this to light guys and gals. Its still in the printing industry, but it only uses my printing skills. I have 14 years experience in graphic design. I felt at the current printing company I work at, that my skills were dwindling to a degree, because Im still on old software, and not really learning anything new. Plus I dont really get to design but a handful of times a month. Usually its just picking up repeat jobs, or using client files. Then head down the hall to print stuff. I print more than anything now as it is.

The guy at the place I applied seems cool, and it seems a decent place to work, but it feels like my skills will go to the wayside in the graphic field. It is a paycheck and is closer to home, but so is an unemployment check til I find something... if I find something. Its been 9 years, and Trump is in office, and things "feel" better, so maybe I will have better luck finding something. I really hope so, and that I wont shoot myself in the foot if I turn down this offer. In a way, I wouldnt mind finding something different, but I dont think this is it. Sigh. I just want to make a decent living and not paycheck to paycheck all the time while getting behind.

Chuck Bronson

That's a tough call, Blazor.  It does sound like opportunities are somewhat limited where you live.  People relocate all the time just for this reason...  Perhaps something to consider?

Chuck Bronson

I've also been thinking, Blazor...  The new place has a starting wage that is the same as your ending wage at a place you've been with for years...

Perhaps after a few months of proving your worth, the new employer will recognize a wage increase is in line?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"I wound up passing out at 9:00 last night, just wanted a quick nap since I was so drained. Woke at 2am with my clothes and shoes still on thinking wtf lol. Then laid down again, and got up at 10:30 this morning. Longest rest I've had in a long time. It was all choppy, but still rest.

Thanks for bringing this to light guys and gals. Its still in the printing industry, but it only uses my printing skills. I have 14 years experience in graphic design. I felt at the current printing company I work at, that my skills were dwindling to a degree, because Im still on old software, and not really learning anything new. Plus I dont really get to design but a handful of times a month. Usually its just picking up repeat jobs, or using client files. Then head down the hall to print stuff. I print more than anything now as it is.

The guy at the place I applied seems cool, and it seems a decent place to work, but it feels like my skills will go to the wayside in the graphic field. It is a paycheck and is closer to home, but so is an unemployment check til I find something... if I find something. Its been 9 years, and Trump is in office, and things "feel" better, so maybe I will have better luck finding something. I really hope so, and that I wont shoot myself in the foot if I turn down this offer. In a way, I wouldnt mind finding something different, but I dont think this is it. Sigh. I just want to make a decent living and not paycheck to paycheck all the time while getting behind.

No matter what you do keep looking for better opportunities.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Blazor"I wound up passing out at 9:00 last night, just wanted a quick nap since I was so drained. Woke at 2am with my clothes and shoes still on thinking wtf lol. Then laid down again, and got up at 10:30 this morning. Longest rest I've had in a long time. It was all choppy, but still rest.

Is there any chance that the place that has offered the job may utilise your skills once they see what you are capable of?

I only ask, because government welfare cannot be included in libelous reparations.  :tease:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"

Is there any chance that the place that has offered the job may utilise your skills once they see what you are capable of?

I only ask, because government welfare cannot be included in libelous reparations.  :tease:

Always thinking of others. :laugh3:

Bricktop

I'm an altruist!!!