The best topic

Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

RW, I'm Willing to Wager a Bet...

Started by Angry White Male, June 24, 2017, 12:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Very interesting stuff weebs.

I agree that justice should be blind to religion.  It's not a justification or an excuse.

Jesus recognized the authority of the state..

Faith, and culture cannot be an excuse for breaking the law.

RW

Most religions advocate following the laws of the land you live, including Islam.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Most religions advocate following the laws of the land you live, including Islam.

Wrong. There is nothing in any religion quite like Islam.

In his new book Islamic Exceptionalism, Shadi Hamid a scholar at Brookings, and a self-identified liberal calls that  a "well-intentioned red herring." He says Islam really is different from other religions, he says, and many Muslims view politics, theocracy, and violence differently than do Christians, Jews, or non-religious people in Europe and the United States.

He said, "I see very little reason to think secularism is going to win out in the war of ideas. But the question is: Why would it in the first place? Why would that even be our starting presumption as American observers? It's presumptuous and patronizing to think a different religion is going to follow the same basic trajectory as Christianity"

RW

Sorry...what did I say that was wrong?

If you're going to correct me, make sure I'm actually wrong, mmmkay.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Sorry...what did I say that was wrong?

If you're going to correct me, make sure I'm actually wrong, mmmkay.

I just showed you from an Islamic scholar. Islam is not interested in Western secular law. It's ignorant to assume it will follow the Christian trajectory because it IS NOT Christianity. The proof of that is from Malaysia to Marseille.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "RW"Most religions advocate following the laws of the land you live, including Islam.

In his new book Islamic Exceptionalism, Shadi Hamid a scholar at Brookings, and a self-identified liberal calls that  a "well-intentioned red herring." He says Islam really is different from other religions, he says, and many Muslims view politics, theocracy, and violence differently than do Christians, Jews, or non-religious people in Europe and the United States.

He said, "I see very little reason to think secularism is going to win out in the war of ideas. But the question is: Why would it in the first place? Why would that even be our starting presumption as American observers? It's presumptuous and patronizing to think a different religion is going to follow the same basic trajectory as Christianity"

I did a search of Shadi Hamid..

He pointed out something I knew and that is what we consider secular Malaysia and Indonesia actually have more sharia bylaws at the local level than many Middle Eastern nations..

He calls Muhammad a state builder, and to build a state you need to capture territory, which requires violence..

He summed up Islamism in a sentence as the attempt to reconcile pre-modern Islamic law with the modern nation state.

I have no problem with that and some Christians want to bring faith into the public sphere even though the Lord recognized the separation of state and faith..

Maybe if Muslims form majorities in some jurisdictions in the future they may enact bylaws that are centred around Islamic law..

We'll see I guess.

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"

He pointed out something I knew and that is what we consider secular Malaysia and Indonesia actually have more sharia bylaws at the local level than many Middle Eastern nations..

He calls Muhammad a state builder, and to build a state you need to capture territory, which requires violence..

He summed up Islamism in a sentence as the attempt to reconcile pre-modern Islamic law with the modern nation state.

I have no problem with that and some Christians want to bring faith into the public sphere even though the Lord recognized the separation of state and faith..

Maybe if Muslims form majorities in some jurisdictions in the future they may enact bylaws that are centred around Islamic law..

We'll see I guess.

Not in our country.
Beware of Gaslighters!

weebles

not really a Lawmaker (it would be difficult to say the least)  nor do I know much about law But I should learn about it more though TBH before I can give an informed thoughtout a Opinion..

Would have to read/study about it learn about from all diffent spectrums  then do some poundering/deep thinking on it before I can make any argumants here TBH...

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"

We'll see I guess.

Not in our country.

And what if they did place restrictions on alcohol at the local level..

You and I aren't drinkers..

I can see Mel, Odinson, Herman and perhaps Shen Li and Seoul being angry, but it won't affect us.

Anonymous

Quote from: "weebles"the probel with making writteing laws is over time they mat need to be chaged so they can evolve and at the time they were written one must assume things  were diffrent as ell hard to understand when they wer written of how things will be into the future they need to be flexable with the times.

Plus with them being open to diffrent peoples interpretation leads to misinterpretation which also adds other problems with lawmaking from what I see then again not really brushed up on Law/Lawmaking just thinking outloud here.

I think that is what the Islamic scholar is getting at weebles..

Islam sees state and faith as one in the same as I understand it, but sharia law is still in the pre modern era..

If they updated and modernized sharia law there would be less opposition to Islam in m opinion.

Anonymous

And what if they did place restrictions on alcohol at the local level.

:2r4ml1j_th:

RW

Quote from: "RW"

We'll see I guess.

Not in our country.

And what if they did place restrictions on alcohol at the local level..

You and I aren't drinkers..

I can see Mel, Odinson, Herman and perhaps Shen Li and Seoul being angry, but it won't affect us.

We have many legal restrictions on alcohol already but we did prohibition.  It was a huge failure.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

There are towns in Canada that are "dry". Most reserves are dry too and we see how well that's working out.

kiebers

Still have dry counties and towns in Texas. This one does a good business due to a couple close towns not selling alcohol. It's also the closest to the Frio river in Concan.  

http://i.imgur.com/cWsPxBn.jpg?1">

Closeup of their sign.....

">
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone