Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Old Dress Pattern Art

Started by JOE, June 26, 2017, 09:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE

">https://www.facebook.com/Thestorybookofdreamsandbeauty/videos/1164566470314608/

...don't know if this forum supports a facebook video format or not

">

Bricktop

I can remember these patterns in dress shops and department stores. Women went nuts over them...but many made their dresses from the templates inside.

In those days, a decent dress would cost an arm and a leg, and many women had grown up learning to sew. Some very fine garments were made in homes around the world.

Berry Sweet

Thank God women dont dress like they use too...im not a frilly dress fan with high heels and a bow in my hair...so lame...I do like to braid my hair all sorts of styles...i also hate all the caked on make up and constant lip stick...male up is no nasty...i only like my blush and black eye liner...top lid only.

Bricktop

It was a different world, then. Women were, for example, utterly dependent on men for their food and shelter. Making yourself as appealing as possible to attract a male's attention was the norm.

Success for most women was measured on the wealth of the man they managed to attract.

Sad really.

Berry Sweet

That is a sad life.  They went from house wives to gold diggers.

Bricktop

Much the same thing in those days. I cannot imagine it was very dignified for them, and it no doubt triggered the backlash that became feminism.

In those days, women rarely drove, had no say on domestic budget and effectively lived as a handmaiden to the husband.

It was an unfair society.

JOE

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"Thank God women dont dress like they use too...im not a frilly dress fan with high heels and a bow in my hair...so lame...I do like to braid my hair all sorts of styles...i also hate all the caked on make up and constant lip stick...male up is no nasty...i only like my blush and black eye liner...top lid only.

I just liked this clip because the pictures in it were so well drawn.

I suppose that drawing style was taken from the genre of Yves St-Laurent/Rene Gruau. BĂȘte-Noir? Can't recall the name.

Bricktop

There weren't many households where you could not find a McCalls pattern.

JOE

Quote from: "Bricktop"Much the same thing in those days. I cannot imagine it was very dignified for them, and it no doubt triggered the backlash that became feminism.

In those days, women rarely drove, had no say on domestic budget and effectively lived as a handmaiden to the husband.

It was an unfair society.

Not sure if it was as bad as you make it out to be.

At least the woman's needs were taken care of.

Many women who 'gained' their 'freedom' only found themselves fighting for the scraps of a lean mean dog eat dog world which their fathers and the others before them had to endure. I'm sure that for every liberated woman who savours her freedom, there's another who wishes things had remained the way they were. That they could just stay at home while the husband went out to work to support them.

Bricktop

No doubt.

Human society has never really succeeded in the "one size fit's all" approach.

But on balance, I think women are better off now; more independent, more empowered, more capable and far less inhibited.

There will always be some who think the old ways had merit...and they aren't without an argument. But I suspect if you showed today's woman the option; then or now...they would take now every time. Not that "now" is perfect. Far from it.

Mother nature has decreed they are the baby carriers, and this is a terribly confusing and conflicting circumstance for them to deal with.

Angry White Male

The "family unit" has certainly suffered, though...

White people hardly have kids at all anymore, and most of those that do, probably shouldn't have kids in the first place...

Back in "tha day," the system did work well as far as a "family unit" went...  Man went to work and provided, and bitch stayed home and raised the kids.

It wasn't perfect, but then again, is the "modern way" perfect?  Single Momma's slummin' on Welly...  Kids that don't even know their father...  Fags adopting kids...

Anonymous

ac_wot
Quote from: "Bricktop"I can remember these patterns in dress shops and department stores. Women went nuts over them...but many made their dresses from the templates inside.

In those days, a decent dress would cost an arm and a leg, and many women had grown up learning to sew. Some very fine garments were made in homes around the world.

True. My mother could double stitch better than any machine.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"Thank God women dont dress like they use too...im not a frilly dress fan with high heels and a bow in my hair...so lame...I do like to braid my hair all sorts of styles...i also hate all the caked on make up and constant lip stick...male up is no nasty...i only like my blush and black eye liner...top lid only.

I'm not either Berry.

Renee

Quote from: "JOE"

I just liked this clip because the pictures in it were so well drawn.

I suppose that drawing style was taken from the genre of Yves St-Laurent/Rene Gruau. BĂȘte-Noir? Can't recall the name.

Where are your drawings, Joey?

It's been over a year and I'm still waiting... :laugh3:

How many checks has your mouth written that your ass can't cash?
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "JOE"
">https://www.facebook.com/Thestorybookofdreamsandbeauty/videos/1164566470314608/

...don't know if this forum supports a facebook video format or not

">

I think you might look good in one of them.

Print
User actions