Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

How do you Canucks do it.

Started by Bricktop, August 08, 2017, 07:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

I just spent in week in our snow country.

Temperatures below freezing, a rather different climate that I am used to.

Our accommodation was a lodge, with heating in the living areas but not in others...

So, I discovered that toothpaste freezes and you can't squeeze it out of the tube until you warm it up.

You put stuff in the fridge to STOP if from freezing.

No fire, you die!!!

It takes 5 minutes for the hot water to run from a turned on tap.

You wear so many clothes that despite the temperature being sub zero, you sweat like a pig when walking.

The gas lifters on the rear hatch door stop working.

The car's temperature gauge seems to stop working.

There's ice on the road. ALL THE TIME.

You drive through tunnels of snow, that constantly look like they want to collapse on you.

AAAGGGHHHH!!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"I just spent in week in our snow country.

Our accommodation was a lodge, with heating in the living areas but not in others...

So, I discovered that toothpaste freezes and you can't squeeze it out of the tube until you warm it up.

No fire, you die!!!

You wear so many clothes that despite the temperature being sub zero, you sweat like a pig when walking.

You drive through tunnels of snow, that constantly look like they want to collapse on you.

AAAGGGHHHH!!!!

But, you had fun.

Anonymous

You wouldn't like Winnipeg. We had a few days of -50 last winter.

Bricktop

I have always said it...you people are either crazy, or you have anti-freeze instead of blood.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Bricktop"I just spent in week in our snow country.

No fire, you die!!!

AAAGGGHHHH!!!!

But, you had fun.

We had a fantastic time.  ac_blush

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"I have always said it...you people are either crazy, or you have anti-freeze instead of blood.

I don't all the wind we get.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Bricktop"So, I discovered that toothpaste freezes and you can't squeeze it out of the tube until you warm it up.

Most of us keep our homes heated, so toothpaste doesn't freeze.

QuoteNo fire, you die!!!

In the back country, this could be very true, unless you really have the proper clothing.

QuoteIt takes 5 minutes for the hot water to run from a turned on tap.

Not sure how the plumbing is set up there, but never noticed that kind of lag here...

QuoteYou wear so many clothes that despite the temperature being sub zero, you sweat like a pig when walking.

You can take your jacket off, should you start getting warm.

QuoteThe gas lifters on the rear hatch door stop working.

North American cars may be built to better handle the cold temps.  That being said, there are places here where you'll want to plug in the block heater overnight, and some people have a remote start so the car has a chance to warm up before getting driven.

QuoteThere's ice on the road. ALL THE TIME.

Two words:  Studded Tires

QuoteYou drive through tunnels of snow, that constantly look like they want to collapse on you.

Never really noticed anything like this...

Bricktop

It was a holiday chalet...no central heating. In retrospect, not a good choice, as it was designed more for summer than winter. Live and learn.

If I took my jacket off, I'd freeze to death!!!

Cars are required to carry chains at all times, and fit them when the signs indicate they must be worn.

Angry White Male

Same here with tires on mountain highways...  Either must carry chains, or have Winter tires installed.

Now to be honest, most Canadians aren't exactly crazy about the snow and cold either, and that's exactly why something like 90% of the population lives something like 200 km from the US border.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"It was a holiday chalet...no central heating. In retrospect, not a good choice, as it was designed more for summer than winter. Live and learn.

If I took my jacket off, I'd freeze to death!!!

Cars are required to carry chains at all times, and fit them when the signs indicate they must be worn.

Is the wildlife different there from other parts of Australia?

Bricktop

The birds are different, but overall they are much the same. Probably a lot more platypus. Most roads are signed with warning signs to take care for wandering wildlife (and domestic stock for that matter). There is deer there, which is unique to that area.

We saw many kangaroos, and birds. But only traces of wombats, and no other critters. They tend to stay hidden in winter, and the forest is quite thick anyway. I got no pics of anything but the currawong.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"The birds are different, but overall they are much the same. Probably a lot more platypus. Most roads are signed with warning signs to take care for wandering wildlife (and domestic stock for that matter). There is deer there, which is unique to that area.

We saw many kangaroos, and birds. But only traces of wombats, and no other critters. They tend to stay hidden in winter, and the forest is quite thick anyway. I got no pics of anything but the currawong.

The deer aren't native to Australia are they?

And what are currawong?

Bricktop

No, the deers are introduced, like rabbits and foxes.

Angry White Male

I was going to say...  The only Island there with natural bugs are big bugs, and they are not seen anywhere else in the world...

I don't think it's even open to the public...

Bricktop

Most of our critters will kill you.

Stay away.