The best topic

Replies: 10400
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

A REAL Heroine ... Did the First Moon Landing Trajectory Calculations "By Hand" - Happy 99th Birthday Katherine Johnson.

Started by cc, August 25, 2017, 05:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

She calculated the landing and return trajectories of the Apollo 11 mission by hand.

BY HAND. No computers, no calculators. BY HAND. On paper. - From control ship, to moon landing and back to control ship

https://www.weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Untitled-8.png">

A black women who worked as a 'human computer' at NASA beginning in the 1950

Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first two humans on the Moon. Mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin, landed the lunar module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:18 UTC

She also did many other calcs for NASA for many years, but this was pioneering at its best
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

cc

In Johnson's role at NASA, people trusted her with their lives — In 1962, John Glenn, the first American to orbit the Earth, said of Johnson: "Call her, and if she says the computer's right, I'll take it."

He wanted her to double-check the computer's calculations on the reentry of his spacecraft Friendship 7, because he preferred to rely on her instead of a machine.

https://theportalist.com/5-extraordinary-facts-about-katherine-johnson">https://theportalist.com/5-extraordinar ... ne-johnson">https://theportalist.com/5-extraordinary-facts-about-katherine-johnson

JOE

Quote from: "cc"She calculated the landing and return trajectories of the Apollo 11 mission by hand.

BY HAND. No computers, no calculators. BY HAND. On paper. - From control ship, to moon landing and back to control ship

...well you don't need computers for everything.

Yeah, I agree...we rely far too much on calculators & computers to do the thinking for us.

There was a guy who accurately calculated the circumference of the earth over 2,000 years ago by hand without computers, electronics. He did it by hand without leaving earth or even knowing what it looked like from outer space:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b3/Eratosthene.01.png/220px-Eratosthene.01.png">

Eratosthenes

Amazing!

cc

Diversion Alert!!!

Sorry Joe - Get lost from this thread unless you stay "on point" - It is not about hand vs. computer, so we don't agree on anything.

This is a Birthday Party celebration for a black woman  - who was trusted in the 60s for phenomenal accuracy by NASA and flyers put their lives in her hands

In the '40s, '50s, and '60s, NASA hired women to do the complex mathematical work that computers do today. Women were thought to be detail-oriented and accurate, thus well-suited to the job. In Johnson's role at NASA, people trusted her with their lives

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"She calculated the landing and return trajectories of the Apollo 11 mission by hand.

https://www.weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Untitled-8.png">

A black women who worked as a 'human computer' at NASA beginning in the 1950

Apollo 11 was the spaceflight that landed the first two humans on the Moon. Mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin, landed the lunar module Eagle on July 20, 1969, at 20:18 UTC

She also did many other calcs for NASA for many years, but this was pioneering at its best

I didn't know this cc..

Thank you for sharing this story of a remarkable lady.

:smiley_thumbs_up_yellow_ani:

cc

My pleasure. You are very welcome.

There are some wonderful "positive" people and stories. We need more of them put out there.

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Sorry Joe - Get lost from this thread unless you stay "on point" - It is not about hand vs. computer, so we don't agree on anything.

This is a Birthday Party celebration for a black woman  - who was trusted in the 60s for phenomenal accuracy by NASA and flyers put their lives in her hands

In the '40s, '50s, and '60s, NASA hired women to do the complex mathematical work that computers do today. Women were thought to be detail-oriented and accurate, thus well-suited to the job. In Johnson's role at NASA, people trusted her with their lives

We all know by now that Joe's troll act is based on not staying "on point"

JOE

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "cc"Sorry Joe - Get lost from this thread unless you stay "on point" - It is not about hand vs. computer, so we don't agree on anything.

Actually, why does race even have to be mentioned or factored in to highlight someone's mathematical brilliance? I was just merely concurring with cc's point, that computers/electronic calculators are not needed to achieve great mathematical feats.

Irregardless of race, other women who achieved similarly great feats without the aid of electronic computational devices included Ada Lovelace and Albert Einstein's first wife, Mileva Marić, who is credited by some for being the brains behind his theory of relativity.

https://www.famousbirthdays.com/faces/maric-mileva-image.jpg">

Historians believe that she may have provided many of the calculations that were required to make his theory work.

Ada Lovelace is often credited with creating the first computer programming language.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TQEgmwcbrTY/UMULgipfYjI/AAAAAAAAAfM/eicFj702cog/s1600/ada_lovelace_hp.gif">

She is also considered a vital link to the development of the first computer. She provided its inventor, Charles Babbage with the mathematical calculations to make it work. Of course, its invention completely changed the world.

What's remarkable in either case, that like cc's 'Heroine', these women didn't have the luxury of machines or electronic devices for the endeavors. But with the use of their human calculations, completely transformed the world and changed it for all time.

Anonymous

Quote from: "JOE"
Quote from: "seoulbro"

Actually, why does race even have to be mentioned or factored in to highlight someone's mathematical brilliance? I was just merely concurring with cc's point, that computers/electronic calculators are not needed to achieve great mathematical feats.

Irregardless of race, other women who achieved similarly great feats without the aid of electronic computational devices included Ada Lovelace and Albert Einstein's first wife, Mileva Marić, who is credited by some for being the brains behind his theory of relativity. Historians believe that she may have provided many of the calculations that were required to make his theory work.

Ada Lovelace is often credited with creating the first computer programming language. She is also considered a vital link to the development of the first computer. She provided its inventor, Charles Babbage with the mathematical calculations to make it work. Of course, its invention completely changed the world.

What's remarkable in either case, that like cc's 'Heroine', these women didn't have the luxury of machines or electronic devices for the endeavors. But with the use of their human calculations, completely transformed the world and changed it for all time.

?????

cc

Just so everyone here is aware - Joe took literal text from this thread here and displayed it on "the other" forum in a silly  .. no, creepy .. failed attempt to shoot a 3rd party  down

AND to make the thread about him even more so than he did here

It also happened by someone else here today (coming in the other direction)

Dunno how others feel but that stuff is taboo to my nature .... I find it creepy

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Just so everyone here is aware - Joe took literal text from this thread here and displayed it on "the other" forum in a silly  .. no, creepy .. failed attempt to shoot a 3rd party  down

AND to make the thread about him even more so than he did here

It also happened by someone else here today (coming in the other direction)

Dunno how others feel but that stuff is taboo to my nature .... I find it creepy

I don't like it.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "cc"Just so everyone here is aware - Joe took literal text from this thread here and displayed it on "the other" forum in a silly  .. no, creepy .. failed attempt to shoot a 3rd party  down

You stupid fucking cunt!

WHO GIVES A FUCK!

Are you following Joe around?  Are you wanting to see what he posts, where he posts, where he shits, and where he pisses?

Knock it off, you stupid bitch!

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Fashionista"I don't like it.

Running a forum is like running a business...  You learn to deal with people and things that you do not like.

Stop kissing CC's ass...  That bitch wouldn't be missed from any forum she posts at, contrary to her own over-excited ego.

cc

Looser Boozer Stalkers gotta stalk, eh?

Booze does that to people. They scramble facts.

Keeps them stuck in the past, ... stuck on themselves .. stuck on repetitive ... stuck on stupid ... stuck on stalk