Replies: 10400
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

A

Bill Maher Is A Effin Tool.

Started by Anonymous, September 10, 2017, 01:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Blurt

"We as a society are glad..."? "We"?

Herman, you have a criminal record; you're no defender of society.

You're a petty thug who grows potatoes.
Aimin\' to misbehave.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blurt""We as a society are glad..."? "We"?

What's wrong with potatoes. :laugh3:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blurt""We as a society are glad..."? "We"?

Herman will never be nominated for an equivalent of the Lady Byng trophy..

But, have you seen his resume?

He has repaid society many times over..

And growing food is a big contribution even with all the subsidies farmers receive.

Blurt

Quote from: "Fashionista"But, have you seen his resume?

No, I haven't.

Nor have you.
Aimin\' to misbehave.

Angry White Male

I don't mind Maher...

One of the reasons the right won't really embrace him, is due to the fact that he's not religious.  To many, not having ANY faith is despicable.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blurt"
Quote from: "Fashionista"But, have you seen his resume?

No, I haven't.

Nor have you.

Yes, I have.

Anonymous

There are makers and takers in this world. And if old Blurt hasn't figured out after nearly sixty  years there is no honour in the latter, there's no hope for him.

Wazzzup

Its seems maher is not alone in wanting to punish climate skeptics --

"Climate change denial should be a crime," declared the Sept. 1 headline in the Outline. Mark Hertsgaard argued in a Sept. 7 article in the Nation, titled "Climate Denialism Is Literally Killing Us," that "murder is murder" and "we should punish it as such."

"In the wake of Harvey, it's time to treat science denial as gross negligence — and hold those who do the denying accountable," said the subhead in the Outline article, written by Brian Merchant.

Brad Johnson, executive director of Climate Hawks Vote, posted last week on Twitter a set of "climate disaster response rules," the third of which was to "put officials who reject science in jail."[/quote]

BTW the US hadn't had a hurricane in 12 years before harvey and Irma.

cc

Well, I might put "major" or "Cat 3" in front of hurricane. Ike was a 2 and damaging as were some others

There were some bad ones since 05. The overall occurrence (and especially of major ones) going back many years is more sporadic than 05 and 17

05 saw at least 3 ... another flurry year

Looking at the record going way back it's lame to try to link a group coming in any one year  to anything beyond "cyclical" or "chance"

I remember well the chicken littles running around saying "WE''ve killed the planet" way back in in 05 and "the frequency and power of the storms this year prove it ABSOLUTELY"
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

kiebers

Quote from: "Wazzzup"Its seems maher is not alone in wanting to punish climate skeptics --

"Climate change denial should be a crime," declared the Sept. 1 headline in the Outline. Mark Hertsgaard argued in a Sept. 7 article in the Nation, titled "Climate Denialism Is Literally Killing Us," that "murder is murder" and "we should punish it as such."

"In the wake of Harvey, it's time to treat science denial as gross negligence — and hold those who do the denying accountable," said the subhead in the Outline article, written by Brian Merchant.

Brad Johnson, executive director of Climate Hawks Vote, posted last week on Twitter a set of "climate disaster response rules," the third of which was to "put officials who reject science in jail."

BTW the US hadn't had a hurricane in 12 years before harvey and Irma.[/quote]
I don't think that 12 year time frame is correct. I lost a house in Galveston in 2008 to Hurricane Ike 9 years ago.

We had:

1 in 2006 Ernesto

1 in 2007 Humberto

5 in 2008 Dolly, Gustav, Hannah, Ike, Omar

1 in 2009 Ida

1 in 2011 Irene

2 in 2012 Sandy and Issac

1 in 2014 Arthur

2 in 2016 Hermine, Matthew

I will say that the statistic you saw may have said "major" hurricane. But I will submit that any hurricane, to me, is a major storm. Anytime you have 75 MPH sustained winds and the storm surges and rains associated with them, it is major. Also keep in mind that when Harvey got to Houston, it was only tropical storm strength. Fifty inches of rain made it a major storm for us.

As far as the climate change crap, when they can give me accurate climate data for the last million years, by year, then I will look more closely. And even the 1 million years is a drop in the bucket compared to 4+ billion years. Population is the biggest issue in climate change for me. But hey, I'm just a redneck Texan, what do I know....LOL
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

cc

QuoteI remember well the chicken littles running around saying "WE''ve killed the planet" way back in in 05 and "the frequency and power of the storms this year prove it ABSOLUTELY"

Wazzzup

Quote from: "kiebers"
Quote from: "Wazzzup"Its seems maher is not alone in wanting to punish climate skeptics --

Brad Johnson, executive director of Climate Hawks Vote, posted last week on Twitter a set of "climate disaster response rules," the third of which was to "put officials who reject science in jail."

BTW the US hadn't had a hurricane in 12 years before harvey and Irma.

I don't think that 12 year time frame is correct. I lost a house in Galveston in 2008 to Hurricane Ike 9 years ago.

We had:

1 in 2006 Ernesto

1 in 2007 Humberto

5 in 2008 Dolly, Gustav, Hannah, Ike, Omar

1 in 2009 Ida

1 in 2011 Irene

2 in 2012 Sandy and Issac

1 in 2014 Arthur

2 in 2016 Hermine, Matthew

I will say that the statistic you saw may have said "major" hurricane. But I will submit that any hurricane, to me, is a major storm. Anytime you have 75 MPH sustained winds and the storm surges and rains associated with them, it is major. Also keep in mind that when Harvey got to Houston, it was only tropical storm strength. Fifty inches of rain made it a major storm for us.

As far as the climate change crap, when they can give me accurate climate data for the last million years, by year, then I will look more closely. And even the 1 million years is a drop in the bucket compared to 4+ billion years. Population is the biggest issue in climate change for me. But hey, I'm just a redneck Texan, what do I know....LOL[/quote]

My mistake, you're right, its not no hurricanes, its no hurricanes above a category 3 in last 12 years.  

Quotewhile there have been ample number of hurricanes overall in the Atlantic, the United States itself has been lucky. Before Hurricane Harvey, the continental United States had not been hit by a Category 3 or higher "major hurricane" for 12 years — dating all the way back to 2005's Hurricane Wilma.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/09/07/the-science-behind-the-u-s-s-strange-hurricane-drought-and-its-sudden-end/?utm_term=.18e0cde1c1f0">https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... e0cde1c1f0">https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/09/07/the-science-behind-the-u-s-s-strange-hurricane-drought-and-its-sudden-end/?utm_term=.18e0cde1c1f0

Wazzzup

The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consulate at Bergen Norway.

Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone.

Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.

Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the Gulf Stream still very warm.

Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelt which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds.

Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

this report was from November 2, 1922, as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post - 94 years ago.

">https://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/mwr/05 ... -0589a.pdf">

cc

Blurt

Dr. Hoel, who has just returned, reports the location of hitherto unknown coal deposits on the eastern shores of Advent Bay--deposits of vast extent and superior quality. This is regarded as of first importance, as so far most of the coal mined by the Norwegian companies on those islands has not been of the best quality.

--from the same report Wazzup quoted.

Well, forget coal; 94 years later, we have oil sands and fracking.

Progress.
Aimin\' to misbehave.