News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10392
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:39:50 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Shen Li and Fash have you ever heard of "baizuo"?

Started by Wazzzup, September 27, 2017, 12:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Wazzzup

I had never heard of this before until I stumbled across this article.  i was wondering if either of you heard about this and if so what your personal knowledge of the subject was.

baizuo (白左), or literally, the 'white left'.[/b] It first emerged about two years ago, and yet has quickly become one of the most popular derogatory descriptions for Chinese netizens to discredit their opponents in online debates....

baizuo is used generally to describe those who "only care about topics such as immigration, minorities, LGBT and the environment" and "have no sense of real problems in the real world"; they are hypocritical humanitarians who advocate for peace and equality only to "satisfy their own feeling of moral superiority"; they are "obsessed with political correctness" to the extent that they "tolerate backwards Islamic values for the sake of multiculturalism"; they believe in the welfare state that "benefits only the idle and the free riders"; they are the "ignorant and arrogant westerners" who "pity the rest of the world and think they are saviours".    

The term first became influential amidst the European refugee crisis, and Angela Merkel was the first western politician to be labelled as a baizuo for her open-door refugee policy. Hungary, on the other hand, was praised by Chinese netizens for its hard line on refugees, if not for its authoritarian leader. Around the same time another derogatory name that was often used alongside baizuo was shengmu (圣母) – literally the 'holy mother' – which according to its users refers to those who are 'overemotional', 'hypocritical' and 'have too much empathy'. The criticisms of baizuo and shengmu soon became an online smear campaign targeted at not only public figures such as J. K. Rowling and Emma Watson, but also volunteers, social workers and all other ordinary citizens, whether in Europe or China, who express any sympathy with international refugees.

What are the possible explanations of the prevailing hostility to the 'white left' in Chinese social media? Only a fraction of the arguments can be considered interests-based, and they are made by established and newly arrived overseas Chinese in Europe and North America. Many students and job-seekers in Europe, for example, argue that it is simply unfair that they "have to work so hard to stay, whereas these refugees can simply come and claim asylum". More or less established Chinese immigrants in the United States often make the case that affirmative action policies put Chinese-Americans in a disadvantageous position, and "Chinese should not pay the price for the wrongs white Americans have done".

Angry White Male

I live in an area that has more Chinese than anywhere else in the world, other than China, of course...

Other than not being able to drive very well, the Chinks are NOT stupid people.  They KNOW what makes a place livable, safe, and desirable.  They KNOW where to park their money.

They also know that too many free hand-outs encourages bums.  I admire the Chinese for their work ethic, and they typically do NOT cause problems.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wazzzup"I had never heard of this before until I stumbled across this article.  i was wondering if either of you heard about this and if so what your personal knowledge of the subject was.

baizuo (白左), or literally, the 'white left'.[/b] It first emerged about two years ago, and yet has quickly become one of the most popular derogatory descriptions for Chinese netizens to discredit their opponents in online debates....

baizuo is used generally to describe those who "only care about topics such as immigration, minorities, LGBT and the environment" and "have no sense of real problems in the real world"; they are hypocritical humanitarians who advocate for peace and equality only to "satisfy their own feeling of moral superiority"; they are "obsessed with political correctness" to the extent that they "tolerate backwards Islamic values for the sake of multiculturalism"; they believe in the welfare state that "benefits only the idle and the free riders"; they are the "ignorant and arrogant westerners" who "pity the rest of the world and think they are saviours".    

The term first became influential amidst the European refugee crisis, and Angela Merkel was the first western politician to be labelled as a baizuo for her open-door refugee policy. Hungary, on the other hand, was praised by Chinese netizens for its hard line on refugees, if not for its authoritarian leader. Around the same time another derogatory name that was often used alongside baizuo was shengmu (圣母) – literally the 'holy mother' – which according to its users refers to those who are 'overemotional', 'hypocritical' and 'have too much empathy'. The criticisms of baizuo and shengmu soon became an online smear campaign targeted at not only public figures such as J. K. Rowling and Emma Watson, but also volunteers, social workers and all other ordinary citizens, whether in Europe or China, who express any sympathy with international refugees.

What are the possible explanations of the prevailing hostility to the 'white left' in Chinese social media? Only a fraction of the arguments can be considered interests-based, and they are made by established and newly arrived overseas Chinese in Europe and North America. Many students and job-seekers in Europe, for example, argue that it is simply unfair that they "have to work so hard to stay, whereas these refugees can simply come and claim asylum". More or less established Chinese immigrants in the United States often make the case that affirmative action policies put Chinese-Americans in a disadvantageous position, and "Chinese should not pay the price for the wrongs white Americans have done".

I avoid political discussions in any language, but I am aware of the label.

Blazor

Quote from: "Fashionista"

I do too to a degree, unless it involves corruption or wrongness lol.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Wazzzup"I had never heard of this before until I stumbled across this article.  i was wondering if either of you heard about this and if so what your personal knowledge of the subject was.

I just found it interesting that Chinese netizens would pay any attention to left and right in America, unless if course it directly affected China.   Much less have a strong opinion about which is right and which is wrong.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wazzzup"

I just found it interesting that Chinese netizens would pay any attention to left and right in America, unless if course it directly affected China.   Much less have a strong opinion about which is right and which is wrong.

They probably can't figure why progs are so naive. Baizuo means bozo.

Wazzzup

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "Wazzzup"

They probably can't figure why progs are so naive. Baizuo means bozo.
 Their foolishness is so over the top its become world renowned. :laugh3:

kiebers

Quote from: "Blazor"

I see what you did there. So you do talk politics....LOLOL
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Blazor

Quote from: "kiebers"
Quote from: "Blazor"

I see what you did there. So you do talk politics....LOLOL

:roll:

ac_drinks

cc

Oh My!! Caught with his dick out ... and I was not looking at the time
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Wazzzup, if you do a search you'll see Shen Li often uses the putdown, white lefty.

Anonymous

This does not come as a shock to me at all. The Chinese are right.

Blazor

Quote from: "cc"Oh My!! Caught with his dick out ... and I was not looking at the time

:MG_216:

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Fashionista"Wazzzup, if you do a search you'll see Shen Li often uses the putdown, white lefty.
 As Soon as I read the article that's who I thought of.

Anonymous

White lefties make me fucking puke. Most whites are libtard scumbags too.