The best topic

Replies: 10394
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 11:15:05 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Erica Mena

The obesity epidemic, BMI, and physical fitness

Started by shin, October 28, 2017, 08:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Aryan

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"Have you seen the BMI chart for modern day???  Good grief!  Its an anorexic chart!  Its unrealistic.

I thought so too, according to it I'm a stone overweight, and I'm pretty trim.  ac_wot

Anonymous

Quote from: "SCOUSE"
Quote from: "Berry Sweet"Have you seen the BMI chart for modern day???  Good grief!  Its an anorexic chart!  Its unrealistic.

I thought so too, according to it I'm a stone overweight, and I'm pretty trim.  ac_wot

That chart says I'm morbidly obese..

Just kidding.

:laugh:

Aryan

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Just kidding.

You have a tiny frame, I doubt it's possible for you to ever be obese.   :laugh:

Anonymous

Just kidding.

You have a tiny frame, I doubt it's possible for you to ever be obese.   :laugh:

Five years ago I ballooned up 101 lbs.

Aryan

Anonymous

Anonymous

I'm the the slimmest I have been in three years and I know I would still be considered overweight.

Berry is right, it's an anorexic chart.

Aryan

Quote from: "Herman"

I'm the the slimmest I have been in three years and I know I would still be considered overweight.

It does seem a tad off......

shin

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "shin"

I get a lot of walking and do a lot of walking...it makes me feel better.  I too also lift weights at home and do some sit ups and little excercises.  I use to go to the gym but I have a medical issue and had to stop for a while....but I want to go back.

I believe its important to keep the body moving.  Meditation, stretching are also a must.  But its not just the exercise, its eating well too.

I dont care about being anorexic or even looking like a body builder...to me both are unhealthy and are addictions.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll always be at least overweight according to the BMI standard, and I'm fine with it.

I'm the opposite shin. I'm naturally slim. I'm envious of guys like you and Herm who put on muscle easily.

When I was in high school, I wanted to increase my muscle mass. Now that I'm older, I think I'd rather be lighter, but not quite as light as I was back then.

shin

Quote from: "Herman"I have a gym set up in my  basement. I pump iron three times a week. When I'm on drilling leases and living in a wellsite trailer, I  bring some dumb bells with me.

Sometimes I do calisthenics at home, but I find that I need to leave the house to really get motivated enough to exercise.

Even though I do chores around the house, I associate being here with not having to do much on a schedule.

shin

Quote from: "shin"If you're old enough to remember when they started talking about an obesity epidemic in the Western world, what would you consider to be some of the most significant factors that have contributed to our collective weight gain and lack of fitness across several countries?

Also, do you think the BMI is an accurate way to determine how much weight we might need to lose to be healthy?

Lastly, if you're comfortable talking about it, how much exercise do you get?

I try to stay active when not at work..

Just like iron horse jockey my job is not physical..

I make time to exercise for thirty minutes every second day and one hour on Saturdays.

This may sound stereotypical, but do you ever do tai chi?

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"
Quote from: "shin"If you're old enough to remember when they started talking about an obesity epidemic in the Western world, what would you consider to be some of the most significant factors that have contributed to our collective weight gain and lack of fitness across several countries?

Also, do you think the BMI is an accurate way to determine how much weight we might need to lose to be healthy?

Lastly, if you're comfortable talking about it, how much exercise do you get?

I try to stay active when not at work..

Just like iron horse jockey my job is not physical..

I make time to exercise for thirty minutes every second day and one hour on Saturdays.

This may sound stereotypical, but do you ever do tai chi?

Not anymore shin..

In Taiwan, younger people are not taking up tai chi like they once did.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

It does seem a tad off......

I am a small guy and I agree it's off.

Wazzzup

About 20 years ago they changed the standards so more people would qualify as "obese" and overweight

None of the obesity measures take into account skeletal frame size or muscle mass which is heavier than fat.  Most pro atheletes would be considered overweight by today's standards

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wazzzup"About 20 years ago they changed the standards so more people would qualify as "obese" and overweight

None of the obesity measures take into account skeletal frame size or muscle mass which is heavier than fat.  Most pro atheletes would be considered overweight by today's standards

That's what I read too.