Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

A

crypto currency

Started by Anonymous, November 30, 2017, 01:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Zetsu

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"
Quote from: "Zetsu"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"It either arrives or it doesn't. If it doesn't, then customs nabbed it and they're looking for that naughty person (Richard Hadcheez) who tried to use a random family's address.

But if the suspicious name of the buyer doesn't exist under the household address and the parcel contains a prohibited item, wouldn't the police file an investigation?

Depends on the item. Hardcore street drugs or some guns, yes. Other stuff, not so much. They can't enter your home without good reason.

Point taken.  ac_drinks
Permanently off his rocker

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"It either arrives or it doesn't. If it doesn't, then customs nabbed it and they're looking for that naughty person (Richard Hadcheez) who tried to use a random family's address.

I have watched  Border Security, both the Australian or Canadian versions..

They give the impression that contraband is always detected  and the person who ordered it is apprehended..

But, I would like to know more about crypto currencies and any potential downsides of owning them too.

Angry White Male

I just purchased some BitCoin tonight.  First time buyer.

Frood

Quote from: "Angry White Male"I just purchased some BitCoin tonight.  First time buyer.

Make sure to put it on a hard wallet not connected to the net (if the value is great) and back it up with a recovery key or phrase.

Printing out the QR codes both public and private works too though you'll need somewhere to securely store them.
Blahhhhhh...

Angry White Male

And if you want to drop a few bucks into this also (you know how volatile this investment can be, so be forewarned), I can provide some info on an exchange...

After registering on a couple of exchanges (on in the US, the other in the UK), I had issues with both of them, in one form or another, so didn't use them and closed accounts.

Ban Pellegrino mentioned coinsquare.io, which is a Canadian based exchange, and I liked what I saw.  Very easy to register (no mailing pics of any personal documents), so was almost instantly up and running.

Interac Online provided easy money transfer (I'll assume you have online banking).  The limit is $300 per transaction though, at first.  However, you can just keep doing $300 transactions in a row until you reach your daily limit, which is set by your bank.  Mine is $2,000.  Will have to wait until midnight I guess, if I want to dump another $2,000 into bitcoin holdings.

After second $300 transfer, my banking accounts were put on hold by bank fraud detection, but a quick call to my bank cleared this up with ease, and I was able to continue.

Would certainly recommend coinsquare, for its ease of use and relatively fair trading fees.  They have a three day "hold," before I can transfer my holdings into my own personal 'wallet.'

Angry White Male

Make sure to put it on a hard wallet not connected to the net (if the value is great) and back it up with a recovery key or phrase.

Printing out the QR codes both public and private works too though you'll need somewhere to securely store them.

Yup.  I think they have a three day hold, so I'll have to wait until then to transfer over to wallet.

I have a usb drive that I can backup my info on, and store in safe place.  Will also print out hard copy, and throw in my mini-safe.

Frood

Quote from: "Angry White Male"

Yup.  I think they have a three day hold, so I'll have to wait until then to transfer over to wallet.

I have a usb drive that I can backup my info on, and store in safe place.  Will also print out hard copy, and throw in my mini-safe.

Ledger or Trezor is ideal for the top ones. They're purpose built and can connect physically to a computer or mobile device.

If you're speculating on Shitcoins, you'll have to either research and download numerous wallets which support some but not all and differently at that, lean on exchanges to hold your stuff (not advisable: you don't have the keys), or generate a wallet for ECR-20 type coins and backup-print out both keys for each of them.

Do you homework. Don't trust online people completely.
Blahhhhhh...

Angry White Male

Any old USB drive can work, no?  That way, if my computer takes a shit, I can buy new computer, install new wallet, and transfer my shit back, no?

But yes, will print out hard copy of keys also.

Angry White Male

I'll assume BitCoin's own wallet is more than adequate...

Angry White Male

Why isn't bitcoin's wallet downloading the blockchain?

Angry White Male

I can't even encrypt and password protect this shit?  I originally downloaded litecoin, but decided to go with bitcoin, and their wallet is a lot different.

Think I may go with another one.

Angry White Male

Bitcoin "core" is the version I want.

Frood

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Why isn't bitcoin's wallet downloading the blockchain?

There is no bitcoin sanctioned wallet. All the app wallets (Android, Windows, and iOS) are third party developed even if they have former/past bitcoin starts-officianados on their team.

Bitcoin blockchain is congested at 90% something to 100% plus (often at 104-105%). That means that you'll have long confirmation times 6+, and high fees (2-3 dollars is low, 3-10 dollars is the norm, and it can go as high as 20-40 dollars for a fast confirm).

You can choose priority in the settings of some of them. Not all of them.

Also means that it can take 10 minutes to days for your transactions to be confirmed.

Bitcoin (BTC, AKA Core) is one of the least responsive cryptos for trading unless you're going through an exchange but there are huge risks with exchanges.

Make sure your receiving address is perfectly QR scanned/typed in (Letters and numbers exactly typed upper and lowercase).

Lock your program or app with added security if possible. Keep the private keys offline, hardware or paper wallet.

Do your own homework. Don't rely on one person or currency. HTH
Blahhhhhh...

Angry White Male

Bitcoin core is now downloading the blockchain.

I'll see if it works OK.  If not, I'll switch out to another...

Frood

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Bitcoin core is now downloading the blockchain.

I'll see if it works OK.  If not, I'll switch out to another...

What is this Bitcoin Core wallet you speak of?

There isn't to my knowledge an official "Bitcoin Core" wallet, hard or soft. There are Bitcoin Core developers allegedly being paid to run BTC into the ground as a store of wealth instead of a deregulated medium of exchange as envisioned by Satoshi N.
Blahhhhhh...