The best topic

Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

White Privilege Checklist

Started by Wazzzup, December 30, 2017, 03:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Wazzzup

Peggy McIntosh, associate director of the Wellesley College Center for Research on Women, describes "white privilege as an invisible package of unearned assets[.] White privilege is like an invisible weightless knapsack of special provisions, maps, passports, code books, visas, clothes, tools, and blank checks" (McIntosh, 1989).  She distributes the following, and students are asked to mark those that apply.  A few of the items include:

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/12/white_privilege_an_article_of_leftwing_faith.html#ixzz52mDLZ8g4">http://www.americanthinker.com/articles ... z52mDLZ8g4">http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/12/white_privilege_an_article_of_leftwing_faith.html#ixzz52mDLZ8g4

1. I can arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.

2. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

3. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

4. When I am told about our national heritage or about civilization, I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.

5.I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.

6.I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the food I grew up with, into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can deal with my hair.

7.Whether I use checks, credit cards, or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial responsibility.

8. I can take a job or enroll in a college with an affirmative action policy without having my co-workers or peers assume I got it because of my race.

9. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated.

10. I am never asked to speak for all of the people of my racial group.

11. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk with the person in charge[,] I will be facing a person of my race.

12. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race.

13. I can easily see posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys, and children's magazines featuring people of my race.

14. I can choose blemish cover or bandages in flesh color and have them more or less match my skin.

15. I can walk into a classroom and know I will not be the only member of my race.

16. I can enroll in a class at college and be sure that the majority of my professors will be of my race.

I might try and debunk some of this over time

Wazzzup

This is the most ridiculous of all--

Quote8. I can take a job or enroll in a college with an affirmative action policy without having my co-workers or peers assume I got it because of my race.

This is not a privilege for whites (or Asians) this is the opposite,it is a privilege for non asian minorities to have points added to their ACT and SATS scores and GPAs.  if a non Asian minority doesn't like being suspected of being an affirmative action enrollee/hiree then get rid of affirmative action.

This is the second most ridiculous--

Quote14. I can choose blemish cover or bandages in flesh color and have them more or less match my skin.

if somoene's world falls apart because baindaids don't match their skin color they are waaaaaaaaaay too fragile.  get a real complaint.

Wazzzup

All of the following have the same theme--not being the majority---

Quote1. I can arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.

3. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

6.I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the food I grew up with, into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can deal with my hair.

11. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk with the person in charge[,] I will be facing a person of my race.

13. I can easily see posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys, and children's magazines featuring people of my race.

15. I can walk into a classroom and know I will not be the only member of my race.

16. I can enroll in a class at college and be sure that the majority of my professors will be of my race.

There are plenty of countries where whites are not the majority.  Most of Africa, Most of Asia, Most of central and Soun America consist of non white majority countries.  if people don't like living in a white majority country, get on a plane,  there are plenty of places to choose from.  But they shouldn't count on having a better life there, because they probably won't.

Anonymous

This is so ridiculous, I  question if she really believes this nonsense..

I've never met a Taiwanese that thinks they are privileged because their hairdresser looks like them and not Indonesian guest workers.

Lance Leftardashian

There is far too much white privilege in Europe and in Commonwealth countries as well as in the United States of America. White people do not deserve any privilege at all for what they have done to all countries where they have been.
I care, you pay

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lance Leftardashian"There is far too much white privilege in Europe and in Commonwealth countries as well as in the United States of America. White people do not deserve any privilege at all for what they have done to all countries where they have been.

What privileges do Caucasians enjoy that is denied to people who are not Caucasian Lance?

Wazzzup

Quote from: "Fashionista"This is so ridiculous, I  question if she really believes this nonsense..

I've never met a Taiwanese that thinks they are privileged because their hairdresser looks like them and not Indonesian guest workers.

My wife usually cuts my hair.  But the last time I went to "great clips" and got a haircut, there were only Hispanic women working there.   Didn't matter to me.  I got a decent haircut, that's all that I cared about.

Wazzzup

These are the racial profiling aspects, which refer mostly to blacks--

Quote2. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

7.Whether I use checks, credit cards, or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial responsibility.

12. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race.

I remember being followed around the store when I was a teenager a few times.  So what? I am not permanently harmed by that.  I see black people using credit cards and checks to pay for stuff all the time, I see no discrimination.  The IRS is a politicized organization that went after white conservatives during the Obama era.

So that leaves the cops--I would agree that racial profiling is wrong if it leads to illegal searches or traffic stops without cause etc.  But lets not pretend here.  Blacks are 5 times more likely to be involved in criminal behavior than whites or Asians.  Maybe there should be a little more anger by blacks at those blacks who act like criminals, that give the race a bad name, than the people who just observe the statitistical reality, that blacks are more prone to criminal behavior.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Wazzzup"These are the racial profiling aspects, which refer mostly to blacks--

Quote2. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

I remember being followed around the store when I was a teenager a few times.  So what? I am not permanently harmed by that.  I see black people using credit cards and checks to pay for stuff all the time, I see no discrimination.  The IRS is a politicized organization that went after white conservatives during the Obama era.

So that leaves the cops--I would agree that racial profiling is wrong if it leads to illegal searches or traffic stops without cause etc.  But lets not pretend here.  Blacks are 5 times more likely to be involved in criminal behavior than whites or Asians.  Maybe there should be a little more anger by blacks at those blacks who act like criminals, that give the race a bad name, than the people who just observe the statitistical reality, that blacks are more prone to criminal behavior.

Kids in groups are watched like hawks in stores. So, that is age privilege I suppose.

I find it hard to believe non whites have been turned away from purchasing products. That makes no sense or cents.

Anonymous

Has the prof ever met a black person. If she doesn't know that they buy stuff with credit and hold mortgages than how does she think they get stuff? Stealing? She sounds like a racist. :laugh3:

Anonymous

I moved this thread to the main board..

It's political, but it's more than simply partisan politics..

I hope nobody objects.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lance Leftardashian"There is far too much white privilege in Europe and in Commonwealth countries as well as in the United States of America. White people do not deserve any privilege at all for what they have done to all countries where they have been.

At first I thought you were black. Because of your handle. But, only a white progtard could spew the rancid manure that you do.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

At first I thought you were black. Because of your handle. But, only a white progtard could spew the rancid manure that you do.

:roll:

Anonymous

White privilege used to be called the protestant work ethic.

Wazzzup

Quote4. When I am told about our national heritage or about civilization, I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.

5. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.

I know when my kids went through school that the teachers talked quite a bit about the civil rights movement.  But there is a factual limit to this.  for instance--There is never going to be curriculum in Japan about how Hispanics helped build Japan, because they didnt.

Quote9. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated.

It is illegal to refuse people service based on their race.  So I don't even know what the author means.  And mistreated, I am quite sure that everyone gets bad service now and then, whites, blacks and everybody else.

Quote10. I am never asked to speak for all of the people of my racial group.

I do see a lot of minority people who think they speak for their entire group, but no one is forcing them to, they are usually doing it on their own.