Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Iceland mandates that men and women must be paid the same

Started by Anonymous, January 03, 2018, 09:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Interesting, but I don't know exactly how it will work?

Does it mean the government decides which jobs are equal and do seniority, leaves of absence enter into it.

Iceland has become the first country in the world to mandate that women receive the same pay as their male colleagues for doing the same work.

The new law makes it illegal for employers to pay male workers more, and requires companies of 25 staff or more to prove they are paying men and women equally.

The bill was tabled and passed last spring, but only took effect on New Year's Day.

Under the new rules, companies and government agencies employing at least 25 people will have to obtain government certification of their equal-pay policies.

Companies will face fines if they can't prove that men and women are receiving the same salary for the same job.

he new legislation was supported by Iceland's centre-right government, as well as the opposition, in a parliament where nearly 50 per cent of all members are women.

The North Atlantic island nation, which has a population of about 330,000, wants to eradicate the gender pay gap by 2022.

In October, thousands of Icelandic women left work at 2:38 p.m., and demonstrated outside parliament to protest the gender pay gap.

Women's rights groups calculate that after that time each day, women are working for free.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3941827/iceland-becomes-first-country-to-legalize-equal-pay-between-men-and-women/">https://globalnews.ca/news/3941827/icel ... and-women/">https://globalnews.ca/news/3941827/iceland-becomes-first-country-to-legalize-equal-pay-between-men-and-women/

Anonymous

I don't know about Iceland, but in the West gender pay  gap is usually misleading stats that compares apples to oranges.

In North America, full time officially means 35 hours, but men work more hours than women. That's the first problem: We could be comparing men working 40 hours to women working 35.The real gap isn't between men and women doing the same job. It's between the different jobs that men and women take and the hours worked.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"I don't know about Iceland, but in the West gender pay  gap is usually misleading stats that compares apples to oranges.

In North America, full time officially means 35 hours, but men work more hours than women. That's the first problem: We could be comparing men working 40 hours to women working 35.The real gap isn't between men and women doing the same job. It's between the different jobs that men and women take and the hours worked.

There used to an apprentice girl electrician at my husband's shop..

She received the same rate that all apprentices do for the hours and classroom time she had.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Shen Li"I don't know about Iceland, but in the West gender pay  gap is usually misleading stats that compares apples to oranges.

There used to an apprentice girl electrician at my husband's shop..

She received the same rate that all apprentices do for the hours and classroom time she had.

No company has different payscales for men and women. The gender pay gap is totally misleading.

Anonymous

Young, single. childless women actually earn more than young men.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"Interesting, but I don't know exactly how it will work?

Does it mean the government decides which jobs are equal and do seniority, leaves of absence enter into it.

Iceland has become the first country in the world to mandate that women receive the same pay as their male colleagues for doing the same work.

The new law makes it illegal for employers to pay male workers more, and requires companies of 25 staff or more to prove they are paying men and women equally.

The bill was tabled and passed last spring, but only took effect on New Year's Day.

Under the new rules, companies and government agencies employing at least 25 people will have to obtain government certification of their equal-pay policies.

Companies will face fines if they can't prove that men and women are receiving the same salary for the same job.

he new legislation was supported by Iceland's centre-right government, as well as the opposition, in a parliament where nearly 50 per cent of all members are women.

The North Atlantic island nation, which has a population of about 330,000, wants to eradicate the gender pay gap by 2022.

In October, thousands of Icelandic women left work at 2:38 p.m., and demonstrated outside parliament to protest the gender pay gap.

Women's rights groups calculate that after that time each day, women are working for free.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3941827/iceland-becomes-first-country-to-legalize-equal-pay-between-men-and-women/">https://globalnews.ca/news/3941827/icel ... and-women/">https://globalnews.ca/news/3941827/iceland-becomes-first-country-to-legalize-equal-pay-between-men-and-women/

I'll bet this really will not change much for businesses in Iceland. Unless they are going to dictate what every job must pay and how many hours every private employee will work.

Odinson

There is no "pay gap" between women and men..

The pay standards do not differentiate between men and women.

Women might work the same job but do not have the same degrees, skill and experience.

Females just dont have the brain capacity to realize this fact and thats why they whine.

Berry Sweet

Women should get paid more than men.  We are smarter and can multitask beyond belief.

Men should be at home taking care of children and cleaning the house.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"Women should get paid more than men.  We are smarter and can multitask beyond belief.

Men should be at home taking care of children and cleaning the house.

To late for me. I am an old maid. :laugh3: