Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

A

How Canada’s addiction to road salt is ruining everything

Started by Anonymous, January 22, 2018, 05:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Blazor"
Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
No more so than driving a two mile long train carrying enough dangerous goods for a few Hiroshimas.

I just watched a good Asian movie called Train to Busan. Was crazy, zombies started, one wound up on the train and went from there.

It's a Korean movie.

Blazor

Quote from: "Angry White Male"
Quote from: "Blazor"I believe thats the "spray" they are using here now over the last several years, use to be salt. Shit gets into everything.

It's just brutal shit.  It works well to keep roads de-iced, but it corrodes everything much worse than regular rock salt.

I notice that shit will even eat my wiper blades enough in one winter season, that they'll start streaking.  Never had that problem when they just used normal salt!

Hell I just thought the wipers werent worth a fuck anymore lol. You're right! Cause I use to be able to make it a couple years at least. After winter need a new set every year now.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Blazor

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Blazor"
No more so than driving a two mile long train carrying enough dangerous goods for a few Hiroshimas.

I just watched a good Asian movie called Train to Busan. Was crazy, zombies started, one wound up on the train and went from there.

It's a Korean movie.

Thanks for the clarification lol, you seen it? Reminded me of World War Z but Korean and on a train lol. Wasnt a bad flick, sad ending though.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Blazor"Hell I just thought the wipers werent worth a fuck anymore lol. You're right! Cause I use to be able to make it a couple years at least. After winter need a new set every year now.

My wipers deteriorating much more rapidly than they ever had in the past, led me to wanting to know why this is.  Then I study what they're actually spraying now...  And Magnesium Chloride is bad shit for corrosion, is what I'd found.  Calcium Chloride isn't as bad, but isn't much better than rock salt either, for actual anti-icing purposes.

Then I asked a mechanic I deal with at a shop, and he also says he's never seen mufflers rot as quickly as they now do, since they've started spraying this shit.  He said aluminized was always good enough in the past, but for this shit?  He says get Stainless Steel, if you can afford the price difference...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"I hate that show..

Everything is blown out of proportion.. American style..

Its really dangerous to drive a truck..

Your truck might get abducted by aliens if you are not careful.

I see the engineer in Lac Megantic was acquitted of the serious charges, but still faces charges for not following Transport Canada safety rules.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Fashionista"I see the engineer in Lac Megantic was acquitted of the serious charges, but still faces charges for not following Transport Canada safety rules.

I'm guessing not guilty of criminal negligence due to this:  The mens rea can be proven with evidence of the accused subjective state of mind or by showing that the prohibited conduct "constituted a marked and substantial departure from the conduct of a reasonably prudent person".

But ya, could still have legal issues related to Railway Safety Act, which I'm not too familiar with.