Last post: Today at 06:52:08 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

A

Amazon debuts GO store with no high minimum wage cashiers

Started by Anonymous, January 23, 2018, 10:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I saw that Seoul..

I wonder what Amazon does with all that information about our purchasing habits.

ac_umm

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"
">

Courtesy of the likes of Nothead and Wynn.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "seoulbro"
">

Courtesy of the likes of Nothead and Wynn.
It would probably happen eventually even without a change in minimum wage..

But, big increases so quickly obviously speed it up..

And as an ex waitress, it will have an adverse affect on the tipping culture...servers end up with less money.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Fashionista"I wonder what Amazon does with all that information about our purchasing habits.  ac_umm

No different then what stores would already do, if you use their points/discount card...

Anonymous

Ontario's minimum wage hike off to rocky start as employers slash hours, benefits to compensate

The Conference Board of Canada believes countermeasures implemented by businesses could result in the loss of 42,000 jobs by the end of next year

The Conference Board of Canada, a nonpartisan economic research institute, had initially estimated that the change would shift about $5 billion into the pockets of workers and away from business profits.

Now it believes countermeasures implemented by businesses could result in the loss of 42,000 jobs by the end of next year, said Michael Burt, director of the industrial trends group at the Conference Board.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/corrected-minimum-wage-hike-has-rocky-start-in-canadas-ontario-province">http://business.financialpost.com/news/ ... o-province">http://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/corrected-minimum-wage-hike-has-rocky-start-in-canadas-ontario-province

It is off to a great start. :001_rolleyes:

Angry White Male

I'll be honest...  Historically, minimum wage increases have always led to the "doom and gloom" predictions, which just never seem to materialize.

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"More jobs on the scrap heap.

Yes, but unskilled service jobs in the hospitality industry were on their way out anyway.

Angry White Male

Remember, some ideas don't catch on either, for a VAST variety of reasons...

Target Canada is a good example of failed implementation, even though I personally preferred it over Wal Mart, which I typically avoid like the plague.

Anonymous

Most servers do not want a higher minimum wage..

They are worried it will change the tipping culture which means less take home pay.

Angry White Male

It doesn't really work that way...  Not in Canada.

We are still programmed to tip, and even if the price of meal is raised by $1 (to cover minimum wage increase), we may even tip more, since most tip on percentage of total bill.

I cannot speak for everyone, but I can speak about how I personally pay for my meals...

Angry White Male

I'm a business owner, Fash.  I also require a rate increase, from time to time, since my costs are NOT going down.

The workers at the bottom are just as deserving of a minor increase, that the rest of us want, and push hard for.

If your fucking business model will go broke by paying $11/hour instead of $10/hour?  Then you shouldn't be in business in the first place...

Angry White Male

My first "real" job was delivering pizzas, when I was 16, just after I dropped out of school.  I had delivered flyers before that, but that wasn't a 'real' job.

At that time, there was a claim that high minimum wage, and high unemployment, was fucking everything up.

I was 16.  I got that job without even a resume.  On the spot.  And my employers were fair, and actually fun to work for.  I did not mind that job at all.

And this was in some sort of 'crisis' we were having?  Bullshit.  All bullshit.

And so what if the min wage went up?  People still wanted their substandard pizza's delivered!  That will not change!

So, save me the bullshit, about how increasing a wage will cause catastrophe...  It simply doesn't.

I know!  Not because I was brainwashed in Econ 101, but because I live and worked in this environment!

Zetsu

Quote from: "Angry White Male"I'm a business owner, Fash.  I also require a rate increase, from time to time, since my costs are NOT going down.

The workers at the bottom are just as deserving of a minor increase, that the rest of us want, and push hard for.

If your fucking business model will go broke by paying $11/hour instead of $10/hour?  Then you shouldn't be in business in the first place...

But this time Trudeau pass the legislation to increase min wage from 11 an hour to $15 an hour by 2019.  Instead of just trying to raise wages and making things more expensive, people should try to look and fix the problem why there's an inflation in the first place.  ac_unsure
Permanently off his rocker