Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

A

Christian Corner

Started by Anonymous, July 27, 2013, 11:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leopardsocks

Er, that was a gag line...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Leopardsocks"Er, that was a gag line...

I fixed it a little bit for you Leopardsocks..

Some youtube videos won't embed.

Chickenfeets

I bet Leopardsocks was just waiting for that sushi cue.  8-)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chickenfeets"I bet Leopardsocks was just waiting for that sushi cue.  8-)

Chickenfeets

Chickenfeets

Dale Hawkins version to be preferred by the likes of Chickenfeets...

">//https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj1jPW1WFvY

Anonymous

D.votional for May 5, 2014 is titled Who Gets The Credit?

Chris Langan has an IQ higher than Albert Einstein's. Moustafa Ismail has 31-inch biceps and can lift 600 pounds. Bill Gates is estimated to be worth billions. Those who have extraordinary abilities or possessions might be tempted to think more highly of themselves than they should. But we don't have to be wildly smart, strong, or wealthy to want to take credit for our achievements. Any size of accomplishment carries with it this question: Who will get the credit?

During a time of judgment, God spoke to the Israelites through the prophet Jeremiah. He said: "Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, let not the mighty man glory in his might, nor let the rich man glory in his riches" (Jer. 9:23). Rather, "Let him who glories glory in this, that he understands and knows Me" (v.24). God wanted His people to prize Him and His excellence above anything else.

If we allow praise to inflate our self-image, we're forgetting that "every good gift . . . comes down from the Father" (James 1:17). It's better to give God the glory—not only because it protects our hearts from pride but also because He rightfully deserves it. He is God, the One "who does great things . . . marvelous things without number" (Job 5:9).

Not I, but Christ, be honored, loved, exalted;

Not I, but Christ, be seen, be known, be heard;

Not I, but Christ, in every look and action;

Not I, but Christ, in every thought and word. —Whiddington

We were created to give God the glory.

Insight

Circumcision was the external sign that the Israelites were God's covenantal people (Gen. 17:10-14). But circumcision was not exclusive to them, for it was widely practiced in the ancient world, including among the Egyptian and Canaanite peoples (Jer. 9:26). Although the Jews knew it was a symbol of their covenant with God, few, if any, understood the need for a spiritual operation on the heart (Deut. 10:16; Jer. 4:4; Acts 7:51). A humble and obedient heart was what God wanted from His people (Lev. 26:41; Deut. 30:6; Jer. 9:24; Rom. 2:29). God warned that He would punish all those who are circumcised in body but not in spirit (Jer. 9:25).

Anonymous

Today's devotional is titled Talking About Jesus by Dave Branon.

Former major league baseball player Tony Graffanino tells of an ongoing ministry effort in a European country. Each year his organization holds a week-long baseball camp. During this week they also offer a daily Bible study. In past years, the leader tried to find reasoned ways to convince the campers that God exists so they would place their faith in Him. After about 13 years, they had seen only 3 people decide to follow Jesus.

Then they changed their approach, says Graffanino. Instead of "trying to present facts, or winning arguments for a debate," they simply talked about "the amazing life and teachings of Jesus." As a result, more campers came to listen, and more chose to follow Him.

The apostle Paul said that when we tell others about the gospel of Jesus Christ, we should set "forth the truth plainly. . . . We do not preach ourselves," he said, "but Jesus Christ as Lord" (2 Cor. 4:2,5 niv). This was Paul's standard for evangelism: "I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified" (1 Cor. 2:2).

We should be knowledgeable about the Bible and about the reasons for our belief, and sometimes we need to explain those reasons. But the most compelling and effective story we can tell puts Christ in the center.

Father God, please use me in the lives of others.

Remind me to talk about who Jesus is and His life

and teachings. And not to be dragged into debates,

but to share Jesus' amazing life.

The risen Christ is the reason for our witness.

Insight

Today's reading showcases a remarkable spiritual reality concerning those who are resistant to the gospel. "But even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing, whose minds the god of this age has blinded, who do not believe, lest the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ . . . should shine on them" (vv.3-4). The apostle Paul tells us that Satan, "the god of this age," has produced a form of spiritual blindness that hinders one's perception of the reality of Jesus Christ. Spiritual blindness can only be overcome by the light of Christ (v.6).

Anonymous

Today's devotional is titled Words To Live By by David C. McCasland.

For many years I've maintained a file folder labeled "Speaking." It has become thick with articles, quotations, and illustrations that might be useful. Recently I went through it to discard things that are out of date. I found it difficult to throw away many of the items, not because I haven't used them in a talk but because I haven't put them into practice. I closed the folder thinking, "These aren't words to talk about; these are words to live by."

After 40 years in the desert, Moses addressed the people poised to enter the Promised Land: "Now, O Israel, listen to the statutes and the judgments which I teach you to observe, that you may live, and go in and possess the land which the Lord God of your fathers is giving you" (Deut. 4:1). Moses' repeated theme (vv.1,2,5,6,9) is that God's commandments are to be kept. He said it well, "Surely I have taught you statutes and judgments . . . that you should act according to them" (v.5).

It is so easy to talk about doing more than we actually do and to speak about truth we're not living by. We can become bloated with words, yet starved for reality, forgetting that all of God's commands flow from His heart of love for us.

Help us, Lord, not to be just hearers of the Word;

help us to be doers as well. Teach us to be honest

with ourselves about who we really are. We want

to walk in Your ways and to guide others to You.

The strength of our actions should match the strength of our words.

Insight

Far from being a burden, the commands God gave to the Israelites were life-giving. They outlined a life lived in response to His love. In today's text, Moses reminded the Israelites that the commands were for their wisdom and understanding (v.6). The result of living by the words of the Lord would be that the nations around them would recognize the one true God (vv.7-8).

Pinay

Quote from: "Fashionista"I want to change our Taoist symbol..

These are some of the possibilities..

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFxchmsqurWYT-ORVP7ccKAINwfQdZYU1vw-0R6uvi5OMW_iDTdw">

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TkKZZyzUvio/Ss0hRVDhgLI/AAAAAAAADUA/RrpmOHb8aDQ/s400/Bible+light.jpg">

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qJbnwRXa0yc/Th4k7W4OlhI/AAAAAAAAACQ/rK5XMjgTvVQ/s1600/Bible-love.jpg">

http://www.eewc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/BibleBirds-300x297.jpg">

I like the one with the bible pages flying like birds  :)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Pinay"
Quote from: "Fashionista"I want to change our Taoist symbol..

These are some of the possibilities..

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFxchmsqurWYT-ORVP7ccKAINwfQdZYU1vw-0R6uvi5OMW_iDTdw">

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TkKZZyzUvio/Ss0hRVDhgLI/AAAAAAAADUA/RrpmOHb8aDQ/s400/Bible+light.jpg">

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qJbnwRXa0yc/Th4k7W4OlhI/AAAAAAAAACQ/rK5XMjgTvVQ/s1600/Bible-love.jpg">

http://www.eewc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/BibleBirds-300x297.jpg">

I like the one with the bible pages flying like birds  :)

Thank you Pinay, but we will keep the Taoist symbol for now.

Anonymous

Today's devotional is titled The Light of The Lamb.

For countless generations people have looked to the sun and moon to light the day and the night. Whether illuminating our path or providing the life-giving radiance for fruitful crops and the nutrients our bodies need, the sun and moon are part of God's marvelous provision of light. The book of Genesis tells us that God gave "the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night" (Gen. 1:16).

But someday God will provide a different kind of illumination. Of the eternal heavenly city, John writes: "The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it. The Lamb is its light" (Rev. 21:23). Interestingly, the word translated "light" here is more accurately rendered lamp. Christ in His glorified state will be the spiritual lamp that lights up that joyous new world.

The Lord Jesus Christ is "the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world" (John 1:29). He is also the source of spiritual illumination that makes those who follow Him "the light of the world" (Matt. 5:14). But in eternity He will be the Lamp that lights our way (Rev. 21:23). What a thrill it will be one day to live in the light of the Lamb!

No darkness have we who in Jesus abide—

The light of the world is Jesus;

We walk in the light when we follow our Guide—

The light of the world is Jesus. —Bliss

The Light of the world knows no power failure.

Insight

In the Old Testament, the tabernacle and the temple were emblematic of God's presence among His people. In eternity, no such facility will be needed (Rev. 21:22) because the redeemed will live in the presence of God Himself

Anonymous

The daily devotional for July 16 is titled Feeling Chained.

Boethius lived in sixth-century Italy and served the royal court as a highly skilled politician. Unfortunately, he fell into disfavor with the king. He was accused of treason and imprisoned. While awaiting execution, he asked for writing materials so he could compose his reflections. Later, these became an enduring spiritual classic on consolation.

As Boethius sat in prison, pondering his bleak prospects, his faith in Christ infused his perspective: "Nothing is miserable but what is thought so, and contrariwise, every estate is happy if he that bears it be content." He understood that our view of changing circumstances and contentment is a personal choice.

The apostle Paul reinforced the idea that the way we view our circumstances is more important than the circumstances themselves. While he too was in prison, he wrote: "I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content" (Phil. 4:11). Both men could be content because they drew their ultimate satisfaction from God, who never changes.

Do you feel chained to difficult circumstances? God can give you contentment. Lasting satisfaction can be found only with Him, for in His "presence is fullness of joy; at [His] right hand are pleasures forevermore" (Ps. 16:11).

Lord, lead me today as You see best. Use the gifts

You've given me to encourage others on

their journey. Help me not to compare

myself with others but to be content.

When all you have is God, you have all you need.

Insight

David affirms that God is his protector and provider (Ps. 16:1-2). In response to who God is, David delights in the fellowship of like-minded believers and disassociates himself from idolatry (vv.3-4). He depends on God's Word and celebrates the security and safety he has in the Lord's presence, not only in this present life but also beyond this life (vv.5-11).

Anonymous

Today's devotional is titled Graceland.

The Graceland Mansion in Memphis, Tennessee, is one of the most visited homes in the US. It was built in the 1930s and named after the original owner's great aunt, Grace. It later became famous as the home of Elvis Presley.

I love the name Graceland because it describes the amazing territory into which God placed me when He forgave me of my sin and made me His own. He took me out of the darkness and brought me into His own "graceland."

The apostle Paul says that "the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many" (Rom. 5:15). I'll be forever thankful that the "many" includes me and that God's love has transferred me into the territory of His marvelous, infinite, matchless grace!

Think of the blessing of being in God's graceland. It is a realm where He has given us entrance into His presence and where that same grace continues to overflow into our lives on a daily basis. Paul tells us that even in times of despair God showers us with sufficient grace to see us through (see 2 Cor. 12:9).

No matter what life may bring, nothing can remove us from the realm of God's grace.

Lord, for the blessings of Your grace

I am forever grateful! Teach me to accept

Your grace and to live in its power. Help me

to share Your story with others.

Remember where you live and rejoice in His grace.

Insight

Paul's comparison of Adam and Jesus can be boiled down to a few words. Adam's life resulted in an "offense" that brought "judgment" and "death," but Jesus' life brought a "free gift" of "grace" that brought "righteousness." In grace (v.15), God took away the consequences of Adam's sin—spiritual death and condemnation—and gave to all who believe in Jesus the gift of eternal life through His sacrificial death (vv.18-19).

Romero

My parents have been to Graceland. My mother especially has always been a huge fan.

Elvis was a great gospel singer and had much success with several albums. Gospel was a large influence from an early age.