News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10394
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 11:15:05 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Erica Mena

Know what "RMS" prefix stands for in shipping?

Started by Angry White Male, March 24, 2018, 02:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry White Male

Like the "RMS Titanic?"  Royal Mail Ship!  Historically this prefix was only used when the vessel transported, you guessed it, mail!  If no mail being shipped, vessel had 'SS' prefix, for Screw Steamer.  The Titanic was a Screw Steamer, but since it carried mail, it was a Royal Mail Ship!

Here's something interesting...  There are only four vessels left in the entire world that still officially use the 'RMS' designation...  However, to be quite honest I'm not even sure how some of these four remaining vessels still even qualify for this designation, as they are not all 'mail ships'...

Nonetheless, the last four RMS designated vessels remaining are:

RMS Segwun, which serves as a passenger vessel in Gravenhurst, Ontario, Canada.

RMS St Helena, which serves the island of St Helena in the South Atlantic.

RMV Scillonian III, which serves the Isles of Scilly.

RMS Queen Mary 2. QM2 was conferred "RMS" by Royal Mail when she entered service in 2004 on the Southampton to New York route as a gesture to Cunard's history.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Like the "RMS Titanic?"  Royal Mail Ship!  Historically this prefix was only used when the vessel transported, you guessed it, mail!  If no mail being shipped, vessel had 'SS' prefix, for Screw Steamer.  The Titanic was a Screw Steamer, but since it carried mail, it was a Royal Mail Ship!

Here's something interesting...  There are only four vessels left in the entire world that still officially use the 'RMS' designation...  However, to be quite honest I'm not even sure how some of these four remaining vessels still even qualify for this designation, as they are not all 'mail ships'...

Nonetheless, the last four RMS designated vessels remaining are:

RMS Segwun, which serves as a passenger vessel in Gravenhurst, Ontario, Canada.

RMS St Helena, which serves the island of St Helena in the South Atlantic.

RMV Scillonian III, which serves the Isles of Scilly.

RMS Queen Mary 2. QM2 was conferred "RMS" by Royal Mail when she entered service in 2004 on the Southampton to New York route as a gesture to Cunard's history.

I see, thank you.

cc

The ship I hostessed on carried a lot of male but no mail

It was a Screw Steamer
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"The ship I hostessed on carried a lot male but no mail

It was a Screw Steamer

I'll bet it was.

cc

Bricktop

Quote from: "cc"The ship I hostessed on carried a lot of male but no mail

It was a Screw Steamer

And were you the Chief Screward?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"

It was a Screw Steamer

ac_blush

Berry Sweet

Maybe back in the day.  Mail is not shipped by boat.  Everything is speedy today...all done by plane.

cc

It was a Screw Steamer

No, hostess and cruise director a la Julie McCoy silly .... Vancouver to Anchorage Alaska ... I took the VIPs to their cabins and took care of their needs (I'll leave you to play with that thought)  ... arranged and hosted night parties etc etc  

It was a smaller ship, the Prince George ... everything less formal than the larger ships ... got to know passengers ... was fun ... then got a bit odd as it was bought by the hell's angels while we were at sea ... The ship was "arrested" at the next stop on the way to Alaska ... held there for 2 days while they figured out what to do with it and us ... always something unusual / surprising  happening but always exciting  .... .. it wasn't my plan, but I guess one could say that I worked for the ha's for a bit

Did many summer runs .... Was a fun and exciting time in my life

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"

It was a Screw Steamer

No, hostess and cruise director a la Julie McCoy silly .... Vancouver to Anchorage Alaska ... I took the VIPs to their cabins and took care of their needs (I'll leave you to play with that thought)  ... arranged and hosted night parties etc etc  

It was a smaller ship, the Prince George ... everything less formal than the larger ships ... got to know passengers ... was fun ... then got a bit odd as it was bought by the hell's angels while we were at sea ... The ship was "arrested" at the next stop on the way to Alaska ... held there for 2 days while they figured out what to do with it and us ... always something unusual / surprising  happening but always exciting  .... .. it wasn't my plan, but I guess one could say that I worked for the ha's for a bit

Did many summer runs .... Was a fun and exciting time in my life

I remember you sharing this with us....fascinating story.